• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your Ugliest Coin?

SlowFrog

Bit of a lighthearted topic but given that I'm relatively new to this whole coin collecting/buying thing, I'd love to see some ugly coins! It's a shame I can't really start it off with one of my own but I will say that I don't think I could bring myself to buy one with the face of George III.. :D

On a slightly related note, my first purchases were a couple of 2015 sovereigns and after since buying some oldies, I have to say that the new sovereigns look ugly in comparison! Much prefer the yellow gold look. All subjective of course but it'd be great to see some contenders.

What heresy!  Most serious sovereign collectors would give an arm & a leg for a George III, as ugly as he looks. Numismatically, its a very popular coin but can be a bit expensive. Yes, early sovereigns do look more yellow. Apologies to Benedetto Pistrucci perhaps? 

I don't think any of my gold coins are ugly, because they are made from gold!  Even the modern sovereigns...

In terms of the design, the ugliest UK coin (in my opinion) that I have kept is probably the 1965 Churchill Crown.  I don't think many people like this coin.  It doesn't actually feature in what I consider to be my proper collection.

Some of the recent 50p coins issued for circulation probably run it close - for example some of the Paddington Bear or Beatrix Potter designs.   Just my opinion though - others love them!

30 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

What heresy!  Most serious sovereign collectors would give an arm & a leg for a George III, as ugly as he looks. Numismatically, its a very popular coin but can be a bit expensive. Yes, early sovereigns do look more yellow. Apologies to Benedetto Pistrucci perhaps? 

Not Mr. Pistrucci's finest work, I have to say! To be fair to him, perhaps he created an accurate depiction of old George but I find his profile so repulsive that I would honestly trade it for any coin of a similar value if I had one! 

I'm totally with you and @prichaon the 2012 (it's one of the few that I do actually have) and as for that Harry and Meghan monstrosity - I reckon I'd have to get that melted down.. lol.

Your George III sovereign looks absolutely awesome apart from his unfortunate profile. What's going on with his bulgy eyes? I find it upsetting.. :D

The George III head used on the sovereigns is much less scary than the 'Bull Head' used on the halfcrowns of 1816 and 1817:

Even King George himself hated this one, and it only lasted 2 years before being replaced on the coinage by the lovely example on @richatthecroft's utterly droolsome 1817 sov!

And that Harry & Meghan coin?  Just no...

O Halfcrown 1817.jpg

3 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Even King George himself hated this one, and it only lasted 2 years before being replaced on the coinage by the lovely example on @richatthecroft's utterly droolsome 1817 sov!

It's funny how tastes differ- I really do like the 1816/ 1817 Bull Head Portrait

9 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

and as for that Harry and Meghan monstrosity - I reckon I'd have to get that melted down.. lol.

Agreed- If I was a wealthy man, as well as hoovering up lovely historic coins, I'd buy up as many of the mintage of all those ugly releases like that Harry & Meghan and melt them into cast bars 👍 

24 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Agreed on the 2012 Bullion Sovereign- the design simply didn't work on the Bu

I guess you are not interested in my pride and joy then? 😂... We're all different and that's why collecting is so interesting 👍

IMG_5200.thumb.JPG.f91ab26babcf4eba1b1bd931fcf113ec.JPGIMG_5201.thumb.JPG.57e7ee56ca803898af6ed0d22d6214a2.JPG

Although there are many nasty looking coins- This is by far my worse nightmare- imagine dropping £2k for this horror story...

2027053865_Screenshot2021-09-14at21_06_42.png.a0e0e14c9ce7b7745c679235ae20bef6.png

If i was given a Harry and me-ghan coin i'd melt it into a butt plug for my dog to stop it farting when i'm watching SVU

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

33 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Somone on the forum once described the Maria Theresa Thaler as David Cameron in drag. I've not been able to get that image out of my mind ever since. 

Screenshot_20210914-215516-011.png.2ef4b18b4108c836c87c69baef9f663e.png

I know, a bit like THAT Oprah interview where she looked like Wrighty in drag 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Agreed on the 2012 Bullion Sovereign- the design simply didn't work on the Bu

I guess you are not interested in my pride and joy then? 😂... We're all different and that's why collecting is so interesting 👍

Although there are many nasty looking coins- This is by far my worse nightmare- imagine dropping £2k for this horror story...

2027053865_Screenshot2021-09-14at21_06_42.png.a0e0e14c9ce7b7745c679235ae20bef6.png

The Harry and Megan coin is a contender, although that's a suberb photo! 😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

The George III head used on the sovereigns is much less scary than the 'Bull Head' used on the halfcrowns of 1816 and 1817:

And that Harry & Meghan coin?  Just no...

O Halfcrown 1817.jpg

Look at that double chin!! 😬

The engraver should have gone to Specsavers and George III should have gone to Weight Watchers. 😆

Looking at the George III coins, I actually quite like the cartwheel portrait and the 1818-20 crown obverse too.

For me, I have a couple of war nickels, not many, mind. But Jefferson was one ugly dude. The pitiful silver content of these pieces make them tone horrid colours which doesn't help.

Good call on the Churchill coins too.

Whilst I'm on it, I really hate the current Canadian portrait of QEII, it just looks like clipart.

10 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Somone on the forum once described the Maria Theresa Thaler as David Cameron in drag. I've not been able to get that image out of my mind ever since. 

Screenshot_20210914-215516-011.png.2ef4b18b4108c836c87c69baef9f663e.png

Oh my god...

I hadn't seen it... I do now!!! Arrggghh.