• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

9 hours ago, creative said:

I saw that message and opened my emails. Got really excited to see a RM email until I read the title 😂

3509A229-9A94-451B-BC3E-6C4C871D714C.jpeg

Positive discrimination and wholesale patronisation of woman in one single title.  It's missing some artwork I think.........

wo.png

6 hours ago, SilverMike said:

Some dealers do, surely thats down to what sort of buyers you have coming to you and what your business model is?

personally if its a coin I'm after i’ll buy it slabbed or not if the price reflects the coins value to me, i’ll then slab it if its not as that's what I collect (which seems to be often forgot or not appreciated in these ‘debates’, once a coin is slabbed it doesn't mean it then enters a continous cycle of being sold and bought, it goes into collection like any other coin raw or not.)

The risk for someone who intends to sell after grading is always that if you dont get 70 on the modern coins then realistically (a few exceptions) there isnt a premium over whatever the raw price is. And worth noting that there are a lot of coins in 70 grade that dont sell for any more or less than their raw counterparts do as they simply aren’t widely sort after.

in terms of the 2022 sovereign, a 70 will get a premium over raw and a 69 is likely to sell at or slightly under raw. 

I find the whole graded vs not graded discussion is now just used by some to incite arguments and divide the forum community with witless and arrogant comments. Its not hard really and even for the witless, surely they can appreciate and simply accept some might actually prefer their coins slabbed. Thats not directed at any dealer, but one or two individuals on here now who beat the same drum day after day, post after god awful post.

while im on, regarding the whole flipping debate, flip away I say and get what you can. If there is a buyer at the level you are asking then why not, its how everything works. Pretty sure those complaining about the flippers wouldn’t make the reverse argument if a coin is being offered to them below market rate.

You are not going to stop this divide of opinion.I am sure it will be debated many more times in the future. as it’s becoming more of an issue.

I would hate to see the day where you could only buy graded from the mint / dealers and I fear that’s the direction we are travelling.  Some no doubt will say, you could just break free any coin you purchase. My answer to this is it’s an added expense and hassle. 

In an age where everything is going digital, I think this takes a physical product another step away from its tangible beauty.  I only received my first “slabbed” coin this year and although not as ugly as I had envisioned, I would say slabbed is indeed an apt description. 

I do however take on board your points and many more being made, quality control being a biggie, each to their own. As stated, I will consider grading in the future if looking to move coins on and think it  worthwhile.😄

Incidentally, I believe the expression you are looking for is sought-after. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You are not going to stop this divide of opinion.

Im an avatar of a microphone on a forum, it’s unlikely i’ll give you that 😄. But the language and arrogance of some towards what is a large, experienced and knowledgeable group, who once contributed heavily on this forum is now often intentionally framed in a way to simply inflame people and only used to incite arguments. Grading / slabbing doesn’t necessarily add value and isnt why many of us do it and it is that attack and arrogance that I take exception at. 

Not that long ago, had this topic been genuinely for simple discussion and probably a new thread started, many more would have contributed. But those people have stopped and are starting to drift away or just sit in the sidelines wondering why im bothering even replying to the topic again here.

I would also hate to see only graded coins sold by the mint or dealers, but I don't see that happening. Its been going on a lot longer in the US for example, and you can still buy raw proofs there if you want direct from the mint(s) and there are collectors of both graded and not.

your comment about the slabbed coin is fair enough, i’ve never had a problem with anyone who chooses not to grade. As mentioned, its the attack and spiteful accusations thrown around towards those that do that I dislike and once would simply not have occurred here or if it did it would have been objected to by all groups, but ‘we’ seem to becoming something quite unpleasant and beyond the tolerance of a lot.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

As stated, I will consider grading in the future if looking to move coins on and think it  worthwhile.😄

You see the irony of this statement against the rest of your post don’t you?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Incidentally, I believe the expression you are looking for is sought-after. 

Thanks 🙄

5 minutes ago, CaptCaveMan said:

The Limited Edition print is back in stock, must be popular 🙄

They either have the printing press going like a national newspaper now at this stage. or if in fact its a limited edition print they  have ran out of ink a few times😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

33 minutes ago, Paul said:

Ooohhhh youlll have the triggered brigade replying to this hate speech soon enough

Quiet the opposite, I’m highlighting the absurdity, positive discrimination, and wholesale patronisation of women.  The Royal Mint on this one are chocking themselves to look diverse, when gender has nothing to do with investments……….and I almost feel excluded from this mornings webnir as I’m a bloke or at least identify as one! 

£95 for a printed copy of an A4 sheet seems to me quite steep.

I said this when they released similar art prints of QE II’s 95th birthday coin designs, and my opinion hasn’t changed. It feels a little bit gimmicky. Like that piggy bank the RM sells now with all sorts of designs.

If it were actual sketches the coin designers had done, now that’s something I’d have paid significantly more for.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

£95 for a printed copy of an A4 sheet seems to me quite steep.

I said this when they released similar art prints of QE II’s 95th birthday coin designs, and my opinion hasn’t changed. It feels a little bit gimmicky. Like that piggy bank the RM sells now with all sorts of designs.

If it were actual sketches the coin designers had done, now that’s something I’d have paid significantly more for.

As there are only 150 of these prints, in years/decades to come they'll go very nicely with the actual coins/coins set. I intend to keep my coin sets/print together for a very long time, when it'll be worth far more than £95 (IMO).

10 minutes ago, Muscipula said:

As there are only 150 of these prints, in years/decades to come they'll go very nicely with the actual coins/coins set. I intend to keep my coin sets/print together for a very long time, when it'll be worth far more than £95 (IMO).

I may be wrong but I highly doubt it. Yes there are “only” 150 of these, but the RM has started releasing these art prints for many coins now, and as long as they sell, they’ll keep releasing more.

There will be many many many many more “only” X amount of art prints.

Anyway who knows… it’s a collectors’ market… and we’re a mad bunch.

I liked the concept of owning an art print, but not a mass produced copy on an A4 sheet. Maybe not exactly mass produced, but someone sat at a computer and hit “150 copies” for printing. 🙂

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I may be wrong but I highly doubt it. Yes there are “only” 150 of these, but the RM has started releasing these art prints for many coins now, and as long as they sell, they’ll keep releasing more.

I liked the concept of owning an art print, but not a mass produced copy on an A4 sheet. Maybe not exactly mass produced, but someone sat at a computer and hit “150 copies” for printing. 🙂

I'm sure Royal Mint will create many more prints, but of different coins, not of the 2022 Platinum Jubilee. This is a once in a lifetime moment (likely once in a multi-lifetime moment). As such, IMO the coins as well as the prints, will do very well long term. 

11 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

You know it won’t be long before the Royal Mint start producing NFT coins.  

13 minutes ago, Muscipula said:

I'm sure Royal Mint will create many more prints, but of different coins, not of the 2022 Platinum Jubilee. This is a once in a lifetime moment (likely once in a multi-lifetime moment). As such, IMO the coins as well as the prints, will do very well long term. 

There will be another “once in a lifetime” in 2023 for HM’s platinum coronation jubilee, when she turns 100 in 5 years (if she does) and alternatively when Prince Charles becomes king most likely within this decade, etc.

The RM is very likely to release art prints of other Platinum Jubilee coins too.

As for rarity, there were only 95 of the Timothy Noad art prints they released earlier this year for HM’s 95th birthday coin. Just sayin’.

But ofc they increased the numbers. 150 x £100 = £15,000 for 150 sheets of paper and 10 minutes of printing work. Jackpot! 😀

Anyway, enjoy your print. It’s all subjective - if you like it, you like it. 🙂

Edited by westminstrel

Are these canvas prints? If not and they are merely a grade of paper that a domestic printer will swallow then the limited run number doesn't mean a lot. If someone gets hold of a a hi-res image or uses a decent quality scanner then these can be replicated on any mid-level home printer. Don't get me wrong a boggo £30 Canon printing on photocopier paper will look shonky, but anything decent and you probably won't tell the difference...

15 minutes ago, Muscipula said:

Can I have your coins and you keep the print?? 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

• Founder & Administrator
41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hi, have a reply post to SilverMike “hidden” in red, assuming no one else can see it, can someone advise?

Please check your private messages. Feel free to private message me should you need assistance in the future. :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

10 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

Are these canvas prints? If not and they are merely a grade of paper that a domestic printer will swallow then the limited run number doesn't mean a lot. If someone gets hold of a a hi-res image or uses a decent quality scanner then these can be replicated on any mid-level home printer. Don't get me wrong a boggo £30 Canon printing on photocopier paper will look shonky, but anything decent and you probably won't tell the difference...

They are numbered and signed by the artist however I see your point. I think they have potential to be seen as part of the set and an appealing bonus for a future buyer. I think this is especially true if the mint start doing them a lot

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

There will be another “once in a lifetime” in 2023 for HM’s platinum coronation jubilee, when she turns 100 in 5 years (if she does) and alternatively when Prince Charles becomes king most likely within this decade, etc.

The RM is very likely to release art prints of other Platinum Jubilee coins too.

As for rarity, there were only 95 of the Timothy Noad art prints they released earlier this year for HM’s 95th birthday coin. Just sayin’.

But ofc they increased the numbers. 150 x £100 = £15,000 for 150 sheets of paper and 10 minutes of printing work. Jackpot! 😀

Anyway, enjoy your print. It’s all subjective - if you like it, you like it. 🙂

I completely disagree with your points. I firmly believe the limited edition print of the (very likely) last significantly special sovereign of the Queen's reign will very likely appreciate in value over the coming years/decades.