• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens beasts set

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I was at the Mint a few days ago and someone took a picture of me outside their quality control office. I wanted to prove to everyone that it existed. I’ll upload it just now.....

They don't usually permit cameras or phones, or they didn't use to, but perhaps they realised they would hardly be able to maintain the policy once they opened the visitor centre.

You do realise it could be top secret classified? 🙂

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Here it is: 

5E5E763C-8E1F-4745-ABAD-5D0F5CCEA290.jpeg

They got the first word right! 🙂

Chards

My 2 oz set also arrived today (no email from Royal Mint to tell me it was arriving?).

Like many others, there are issues with milk spotting, problems with the frosting etc.  Really disappointed!  

Purchasing an expensive item like this should be a enjoyable and seamless experience/transaction!

Will almost certainly be returning them on Monday (busy tomorrow). Trying to decide if I ask for a replacement or a refund? I have no confidence a replacement will be any better.

Don't think I will be buying any silver proofs direct from the Royal Mint again. Other than the great Engravers, if I am lucky. Think that's worth taking a chance.  

Regards, One very disappointed collector/stacker.

2 minutes ago, Paulo said:

My 2 oz set also arrived today (no email from Royal Mint to tell me it was arriving?).

Like many others, there are issues with milk spotting, problems with the frosting etc.  Really disappointed!  

Purchasing an expensive item like this should be a enjoyable and seamless experience/transaction!

Will almost certainly be returning them on Monday (busy tomorrow). Trying to decide if I ask for a replacement or a refund? I have no confidence a replacement will be any better.

Don't think I will be buying any silver proofs direct from the Royal Mint again. Other than the great Engravers, if I am lucky. Think that's worth taking a chance.  

Sorry to read that Paulo. I know I have been joking about quality control too, but it’s just my way of coping. I would say you should give them a second chance. I imagine that a lot of people will be returning the sets from what I have read and it may spur them into better quality control delivery this time. There are after all only 300 of the sets and so it should not be difficult to sort out...

Edited by AndrewSL76
Sorry about spelling your name wrong!!!

12 minutes ago, Paulo said:

Absolutely it should be an enjoyable experience.

I would like if they replaced it with a good quality set when I return it.

Even if they do the shine has definitely been taken away.

6 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Looks "ok" on first look.

The falcon looks terrible. I noticed some of the other coins had what looked like very fine stubble on the outside thankfully. This seems inside and just looks grubby 😞

20210701_131843.jpg

After closer inspection, nearly all of the coins have hair, or whatever it is.

Griffin is below for another example.

I appreciate my loupe is magnified as are the photos, someone tell me I am not being picky!

20210701_201603.jpg

My 1/4 silver has the hairs on the outside of capsules. I assume it's fibres from the black lining in the box, perhaps when the lining was trimmed or something...

One of the coins is milked 😞 it's barely noticeable, but will only get worse I assume... And that's basically the issue for all of them, you don't know when more spots will appear and therefor not worth keeping.

Some of the other coins have issues with frosting too. I'm gonna take a few days to ponder over asking for a refund or replacement...

@CollectorNo1 You are spot on and up until recently I had always steered clear of RM proof silver. Recently with the Three graces I bought I liked the coin and thought if I need to sell easy days. It came and quality was up to scratch as you say lottery system. 

With this though I know £1,800 is probably not a lot of money to them but to me it is. The fact that most of the coins are ruined as well shows me that there was no checking on these coins at all. 

Ive boxed mine up for return not interested in exchanging tbh. Wish I could have afforded the gold set. 

2 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

It is wat is was, and is wat it is...that's why I don't purchase proof sets from the RM....until they improve their QC.....which I can't see happening..I won't purchase any.....Music legends,QB's sets etc....because they are inferior .....its a 50/50 chance you will get what you expect,pay for..a proof coin should be that.."PROOF" The best,no marks,spots,milkspots.... but we pay alot of money for the best...and end up sending them back because they are far from PROOF!!!! The RM are taking the urine out of us...UNTIL.... they get their QC up to scratch...they should be boycotted or, you buy their inferior products and hope you will get a set of coins with no problems...got more chance on winning the lottery...but, its your choice....Guess I will get negative comments and slagged off.. but you know I'm right.....

Regards 

I don't think anyone will slag you off mate. It's a valid opinion and I'm sure you're not alone in seeing it that way...

On the other hand, this series has such nice design that collectors will try their luck with silver proofs, and likewise there's profit for flippers to take the chance too.

I'm really in two minds from here, ask for replacement and hopefully get the set sorted, or refund and call it quits before more milking appears... 

2 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Wish I could have afforded the gold set.

My thoughts exactly. Would remove the milk gamble

I agree...beautiful designs...but would you buy a brand new car with a scratch across the bonnet and be happy?? Shouldn't think so...The RM sends out coins/sets that are inferior to what they advertise....its a total pee take to their customers and its been going on for years!!!!  If your happying paying £100's - £1000's and hoping your sets are going to be perfect then I wish you well..but you only have to see the threads over the years on all of their coins and sets to see the negative comments on purchases..how many people send them back only to receive someone else's set that has been returned as a replacement that had issues and problems to realise the customer service or lack of that they  deliver..

😒😒😒😒

10 hours ago, NewCoins said:

After closer inspection, nearly all of the coins have hair, or whatever it is.

Griffin is below for another example.

I appreciate my loupe is magnified as are the photos, someone tell me I am not being picky!

20210701_201603.jpg

Mine had that but it was on the outside and comes from the black velvet type stuff it lays in.. s yours inside the capsule? wow thats bad if it is

12 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

Mine had that but it was on the outside and comes from the black velvet type stuff it lays in.. s yours inside the capsule? wow thats bad if it is

I am 99% sure it is inside. I have wiped the outside of the capsules numerous times, some of it clears off a fair bit doesn't.

Around half of the capsules were loose on opening the lid for the first time,  not completely off, perhaps that explains it. Not sure how hard it is for them to turn the capsules.

I will take a third check just to be absolutely sure. They will be likely going back anyway. Not sure if a few of them are a bit milky or just look grubby.

It shouldn't be that hard to send out 300 sets with tight caps, of a decent quality.

I might also gently rub a tissue on the box to see if that is indeed the source of the fibres.  

Edited by NewCoins

1 hour ago, NewCoins said:

I am 99% sure it is inside. I have wiped the outside of the capsules numerous times, some of it clears off a fair bit doesn't.

Around half of the capsules were loose on opening the lid for the first time,  not completely off, perhaps that explains it. Not sure how hard it is for them to turn the capsules.

I will take a third check just to be absolutely sure. They will be likely going back anyway. Not sure if a few of them are a bit milky or just look grubby.

It shouldn't be that hard to send out 300 sets with tight caps, of a decent quality.

I might also gently rub a tissue on the box to see if that is indeed the source of the fibres.  

I am amazed that the RM on these sorts of releases are not all over it..... I would get fired if I let my stuff go out like that 🙂

To me there should be some sort of grading system the mint uses before the coins are released. As mentioned above they should be PF 69/70, anything less is not acceptable. Silvers always going to be a bit of a gamble with milk spots etc but if they can’t make it pay for them with extra QC measures then don’t offer them!