• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens beasts set

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

A silver blank is a silver blank whether it ends up as a proof or as bullion. They're all the same until they are made into coins. The only difference is the die used, the number of times they are struck and how they are handled afterwards.

So why would anyone believe that just because a coin is designated as proof, it would be immune to what is a common issue with all RM silver ?

Sorry, dont agree with that. There are obviously different 999 grades of blanks otherwise Perth and Mexico would have same issue with Kooks and Libertads etc which do not seem to exhibit this issue as others have already pointed out. 

3 hours ago, TeaTime said:

A silver blank is a silver blank whether it ends up as a proof or as bullion. They're all the same until they are made into coins. The only difference is the die used, the number of times they are struck and how they are handled afterwards.

So why would anyone believe that just because a coin is designated as proof, it would be immune to what is a common issue with all RM silver ?

Yes of course a silver blank is a silver blank, but quite often proof coins are made using specially prepared blanks, which may be pre-polished before striking, this would never happen with circulation strikes, and unlikely with bullion or Brilliant Uncirculated strikes.

Chards

Just for info, from Pamp...

“All mine doré and scrap material can be refined up to '999.99' (five-nines) purity, to meet specific industrial needs such as electronics and fine jewelry manufacture”

Pamp Refinery

However, as a caveat, I also believe it is also how the silver is processed during the coin minting/pressing and not just the silver grade quality.

As an example RCM Maples are 999.9 and are/were notoriously bad for milk spotting. Anyone got bars with Milk Spotting?

RM Striking Standards

After striking, each coin is inspected for imperfections

hmmmm....

Edited by Uksilverstackers

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes of course a silver blank is a silver blank, but quite often proof coins are made using specially prepared blanks, which may be pre-polished before striking, this would never happen with circulation strikes, and unlikely with bullion or Brilliant Uncirculated strikes.

Agreed, the blanks are treated differently - but there is no difference in the silver blank up to the point where it is used either for a regular strike or a proof strike. The difference is how it is treated once that decision has been made. The silver will be exactly the same. My response was to a statement that different silver was used for different strikes.

Either way the milk spotting issue is probably nothing to do with the blanks up until something is done to them. Whether that is before polishing or after we dont know and the RM seemingly don't care. Maybe someone with a lisp is in charge of quality control - 'that onesss ok, ssstick it in a capssssule'.

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Agreed, the blanks are treated differently - but there is no difference in the silver blank up to the point where it is used either for a regular strike or a proof strike. The difference is how it is treated once that decision has been made. The silver will be exactly the same. My response was to a statement that different silver was used for different strikes.

Either way the milk spotting issue is probably nothing to do with the blanks up until something is done to them. Whether that is before polishing or after we dont know and the RM seemingly don't care. Maybe someone with a lisp is in charge of quality control - 'that onesss ok, ssstick it in a capssssule'.

I thought the main reason for the milk spotting was the cleaning chemicals used 🙂

12 minutes ago, platinreloaded said:

Silverprice is 19,10 GBP/oz and they take for 2oz BU

149 GBP 🤓💤💤

Don't believe everything on ebay, this could easily be faked to make it look more attractive at a lower price

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

10 minutes ago, platinreloaded said:

Silverprice is 19,10 GBP/oz and they take for 2oz BU

149 GBP 🤓💤💤

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304056459775?hash=item46cb2d61ff:g:g8EAAOSw82lg4sgb

Lowered the price now. Hoping to rope a few more in before they all catch on...

(Apologies for this being on the QB set thread)

2 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Don't believe everything on ebay, this could easily be faked to make it look more attractive at a lower price

Interesting. With 8 sold already, could that be shill purchasing to make it look more appealing to the unsuspecting customer?

21 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

1/4oz  gold set is coming tomorrow, my silver sets have both been delayed so hoping they are dealing with the quality issues.  Crossing my fingers they are okay.  

They signed for the ones I sent back this morning. Nothing yet. Will keep an eye out for a refund 😞

8 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

They signed for the ones I sent back this morning. Nothing yet. Will keep an eye out for a refund 😞

I was told it would take about 10 days to assess the coins. 

One presumes this is because of the volume of returns coming back to them this week....

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I was told it would take about 10 days to assess the coins. 

One presumes this is because of the volume of returns coming back to them this week....

That 10 days could be a good thing if they get a good amount sent back, I am hoping it might make them realise they should do a freshly minted set 😀 I can be optimistic for now.

I will update when, if I hear anything, if everyone else could do the same that would be appreciated.

Edited by NewCoins

11 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

70 grade??? Your joking..lol

Ignore me, I can see now I got the wrong of the stick with this thread.

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 hours ago, NewCoins said:

That 10 days could be a good thing if they get a good amount sent back, I am hoping it might make them realise they should do a freshly minted set 😀 I can be optimistic for now.

I suspect the ten days is more their standard response to give them time because of how slow and useless they always are, but I think hopefully you are right, they will get loads back and have to have a major rethink! :)