• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

White haze could possibly be dried drops of liquid.
Unless purified water or cleaning solution is absolutely clear and properly filtered then when it evaporates it can leave behind a slightly cloudy residue.
I assume coins or planchets are washed and dried in forced air but if a droplet remains on the blank the residue might be baked on with the heat generated by the press.

As for grading a coin at arms length ?
Coin certifiers are looking for perfection in a strike so this is impossible to judge unless examined under magnification and x10 sounds about right.
Maybe the RM grades its quality at arms length, in poor light with a person having arms the length of an orangutan and maybe needs to go to specsavers !.

I thought the same - arms length most graded would be top pop 

It quite easy to just say if there are scratches visible to the naked eye they won't grade well 

Royal Mint should agree/accept this.

Although if say not a lot grade at 70 then surely 69 will hold a great premium

I remember looking at pf69 una's last year at £600 and I never hit the button I know they are a lot more now so even 69 or 68 will do well

I am on the hunt for 2017 proof sovs soon and to be fair I will buy most grades or raw as they a limited mintage 

As is the una and 3 graces I believe we are beating ourselves up when in fact we are lucky to even bag this one off coin 

15 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

It quite easy to just say if there are scratches visible to the naked eye they won't grade well 

Royal Mint should agree/accept this.

Although if say not a lot grade at 70 then surely 69 will hold a great premium

I remember looking at pf69 una's last year at £600 and I never hit the button I know they are a lot more now so even 69 or 68 will do well

I am on the hunt for 2017 proof sovs soon and to be fair I will buy most grades or raw as they a limited mintage 

As is the una and 3 graces I believe we are beating ourselves up when in fact we are lucky to even bag this one off coin 

As has been said before, the more folk (possibly not even collectors) bang on on aboutimperfect coins, possibly with a bit of fluff, the RM will eventually cotton on, in spite of their mismanagement and will start to sell only graded coins at a massive premium. I know it’s not only the forum who is the market but make your mind up guys.

The same could be said as with Hatton garden metals in the past. We had it good for a few years, then certain folks moved in, demanding proof quality at bullion prices, computer alerts the microsecond a shield sov appeared and in the end, we have lost out in the long run.

Take the long term view folks, not the quick flip. Just my opinion

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

As has been said before, the more folk (possibly not even collectors) bang on on aboutimperfect coins, possibly with a bit of fluff, the RM will eventually cotton on, in spite of their mismanagement and will start to sell only graded coins at a massive premium. I know it’s not only the forum who is the market but make your mind up guys.

The same could be said as with Hatton garden metals in the past. We had it good for a few years, then certain folks moved in, demanding proof quality at bullion prices, computer alerts the microsecond a shield sov appeared and in the end, we have lost out in the long run.

Take the long term view folks, not the quick flip. Just my opinion

A fair point. I don’t think it’s unreasonable however, to expect a coin without scuffs and marks after paying an already inflated premium over spot. These certainly aren't bullion prices! The gold coins are especially egregious. To receive anything less than perfect after paying more for a coin than many people would a car is just insulting. Honestly, how difficult is it to glance at your coins before sending them out to the customer? Especially when your maximum mintage is only a few hundred as it is with the gold’s.

7 minutes ago, Aiden2343 said:

a coin without scuffs and marks after paying an already inflated premium over spot

If NGC graded a coin below a 69 then Royal Mint should be ashamed of themselves. When Perth Mint and others can consistently knock PF70s out of the park then RM should be able to avoid 68s and less. Just looking at some of the 2oz and 5oz recent releases at 68 and less makes me wonder what they are doing. Sounds like they are using standard bullion planchets for proof coins without any extra per-treatment. 🤷‍♂️

Profit before quality. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

If NGC graded a coin below a 69 then Royal Mint should be ashamed of themselves. When Perth Mint and others can consistently knock PF70s out of the park then RM should be able to avoid 68s and less. Just looking at some of the 2oz and 5oz recent releases at 68 and less makes me wonder what they are doing. Sounds like they are using standard bullion planchets for proof coins without any extra per-treatment. 🤷‍♂️

Profit before quality. 

I have at the back of my mind a recollection that about 30% of regular bullion American Silver Eagles achieve a 69 or 70 grade.
That's the reason the premium on a graded ASE has been so low, often little more than the cost of grading the coin.
I have collected hundreds of Perth Mint and Royal Australian Mint bullion coins - everyone supplied in a capsule- and I honestly cannot recall seeing a single defect, scratch, pit, ding, reeded mark or scuff on any coin. Extremely rare also to see any spotting. My last tube of silver Queens Beasts from the Royal Mint - every coin was scuffed, marked and 20% showing small spots. When the 2013 Britannias were first issued the coins came in sheets with every coin in a thin plastic cell. I bought 100 and every coin, I repeat EVERY, coin was badly scuffed as if they had all gone over a wire brush. The RM at the time put the damage down to a fault on a conveyor belt or something along these lines BUT every coin was nevertheless shipped out with a QC sticker on each sheet.

9 hours ago, Aiden2343 said:

A fair point. I don’t think it’s unreasonable however, to expect a coin without scuffs and marks after paying an already inflated premium over spot. These certainly aren't bullion prices! The gold coins are especially egregious. To receive anything less than perfect after paying more for a coin than many people would a car is just insulting. Honestly, how difficult is it to glance at your coins before sending them out to the customer? Especially when your maximum mintage is only a few hundred as it is with the gold’s.

I use to be the same until I realised after various tests grading that a lot of coins I was sending back would infact grade very well. I’m seeing a lot of coins people are returning with such minor issues that would most likely be fine with ncs. With scratches and perm damage I would do the same and return as you have nothing to loose but otherwise you risk a worst coin or refund.

If every RM proof coin got a 70 grade would people be happy if the 70 prices realised dramatically reduced? They certainly wouldn’t be close to UNA prices 

I got my replacement 3 Graces today and I have to say a marked improvement on the first 

There is a dust spot on the neck but even under a 10x loupe in the capsule it looks better 

I do not dare say perfect as I won't open the capsule but definitely  one to consider grading last was not go

Unfortunately different higher coa but hey thats just paper 

20210311_090603.jpg

20210311_090612.jpg

3 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

I got my replacement 3 Graces today and I have to say a marked improvement on the first 

There is a dust spot on the neck but even under a 10x loupe in the capsule it looks better 

I do not dare say perfect as I won't open the capsule but definitely  one to consider grading last was not go

Unfortunately different higher coa but hey thats just paper 

20210311_090603.jpg

20210311_090612.jpg

Nice one glad you got something better.👍 What are the reeded edges like on this one? 

Perhaps it is not the appropriate topic but what does a premium membership give me with NGC, as opposed to lower tiers? I am not planning on grading other than 3G and perhaps the next coins if I get lucky. I know that people suggested extra thick holder for it. 

Ugh... slight haze on the necks of these ladies on my 3G. Not sure if I should send it in for grading. Was so excited to receive it.  What do you guys suggest? Is anyone else seeing that dark grey/black haze on the ladies' necks? TIA

On 12/03/2021 at 04:30, Fitness2all said:

Ugh... slight haze on the necks of these ladies on my 3G. Not sure if I should send it in for grading. Was so excited to receive it.  What do you guys suggest? Is anyone else seeing that dark grey/black haze on the ladies' necks? TIA

If there’s no damage it’s not worth risking sending back. Add a pic? 

On 12/03/2021 at 03:23, MapleLeaf said:

Perhaps it is not the appropriate topic but what does a premium membership give me with NGC, as opposed to lower tiers? I am not planning on grading other than 3G and perhaps the next coins if I get lucky. I know that people suggested extra thick holder for it. 

As far as I know you need the thick holder to fit it. 

The benefits of the membership is the credit I guess, pay £150 a year and you get £120 credit or something, so that'll do a couple of coins as far as I can tell. Gonna sign up myself for this reason. 

2 hours ago, TringSilver said:

pay £150 a year and you get £120 credit or something,

It's actually pay $149 (currently £107) and get £120 in grading credit. So you make a profit before you start😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

16 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Couple of auction sales today. A 2oz went for £2,040 and a 5oz went for £4,040. Both were obviously (too early) not graded. A good quick profit for the seller!

Well I could have got £5k for my 5oz a week ago but sent for grading so hopefully... 🙂

4 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Couple of auction sales today. A 2oz went for £2,040 and a 5oz went for £4,040. Both were obviously (too early) not graded. A good quick profit for the seller!

Aside from those two, there didn’t seem to be much action on anything today? Lots of lots passed without bids and plenty of bargains to be had. 

5 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

5oz just ended on eBay for £4,012

I wonder what the price will eventually settle at. Surely if the 2oz silver is going for over £2k ungraded, the five-ounce should be worth at least £5k? Or maybe that's not how it works? I’m not sure lol. The mintage is quite a bit lower on the larger size but the prices are pretty insane. I will say this - when comparing the two side by side you really do realise just how huge the 5 ounce is, I do think the larger coin lends itself well to this particular design.

41 minutes ago, evende said:

Aside from those two, there didn’t seem to be much action on anything today? Lots of lots passed without bids and plenty of bargains to be had. 

There seemed to be 3 auctions for the 2oz ending today, average price > 2k.  Which were bargains ?