• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

1 hour ago, AurumArgenti said:

I didn't get the same COA back!

Does this mean anything I'm unsure? Do they just put the coin in any old box and COA who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Have they done a returns switch..... Probably?

Thats my guess and what I expected to happen all along despite what they say. I hope im wrong, cos its lame, but i recon you just got swapped for a slightly better looking one.my guess and what I expected to happen all along despite what they say. I hope im wrong, cos its lame, but i recon you just got swapped for a slightly better looking one.

Edited by terakris
strange double post

14 minutes ago, terakris said:

Thats my guess and what I expected to happen all along despite what they say. I hope im wrong, cos its lame, but i recon you just got swapped for a slightly better looking one.my guess and what I expected to happen all along despite what they say. I hope im wrong, cos its lame, but i recon you just got swapped for a slightly better looking one.

Yep I believe your correct. I've been on the phone with the mint and basically I was told if I send it back I'll probably just get a refund.

I said pretty much everything that we've been talking about here. Including the first conversation with the mint about returning my first 3Gs and getting a new restike.

The lady said she'd inquire if anything could be done.

She called back and told me to return it with no guarantee of a restrike.

So basically I'm 🤬.

My thoughts are that by now the pool of damaged coins is saturated. All the best of the bad ones have been sent back to customers like myself.

If I send this one back I'm probably going to get the worst of the remaining few.

Just now, AurumArgenti said:

My thoughts are that by now the pool of damaged coins is saturated. All the best of the bad ones have been sent back to customers like myself.

If I send this one back I'm probably going to get the worst of the remaining few.

That is the risk. I suspect that they are not actually reminting at all and everyone is just going to get returns swapped around each other, which is the usual practice unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, AurumArgenti said:

Yep I believe your correct. I've been on the phone with the mint and basically I was told if I send it back I'll probably just get a refund.

I said pretty much everything that we've been talking about here. Including the first conversation with the mint about returning my first 3Gs and getting a new restike.

The lady said she'd inquire if anything could be done.

She called back and told me to return it with no guarantee of a restrike.

So basically I'm 🤬.

Ok I called them several times and spoke with the Manager of Customer Services...... My gripe is that they don't seem to have a consistent communication which they are telling customers...... I got mine back and it was fine but the damage was clearly enough to make it less than a PF68 quality.... The thing here is how they assess what is a 68 and what falls below that..... years of experience dealing with CS people if I don't get an I answer i look to escalate until someone can give me a straight answer and give me their details in which I can contact them directly

6 minutes ago, terakris said:

That is the risk. I suspect that they are not actually reminting at all and everyone is just going to get returns swapped around each other, which is the usual practice unfortunately.

Well the story is.... that they (originally) sell the coins and do several production runs... i.e. the 3010 coins mintage.. when they sold them not all had been produced... therefore the one I got (supposedly) was one off the next production run... then at the end those that still hasn't received or those where there is an issue they will still mint and then anything over (i.e. returned items) would be destroyed. Now is that true? well I am not sure but the one I had returned was pretty good

7 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

Well the story is.... that they (originally) sell the coins and do several production runs... i.e. the 3010 coins mintage.. when they sold them not all had been produced... therefore the one I got (supposedly) was one off the next production run... then at the end those that still hasn't received or those where there is an issue they will still mint and then anything over (i.e. returned items) would be destroyed. Now is that true? well I am not sure but the one I had returned was pretty good

I didn't feel good about returning the first coin. I definitely don't feel like third time is lucky.

What you said sounds feasible. The question is? Have they done the final product run yet? Is there still another final run?

I think they stated up to 4 weeks dispatch time which should give enough time for the last run?

I'm pleased to own one either way. I believe they will only become more sort after and valuable as time goes by.

I just can't believe how little pride in their work the royal mint has. Given it's heritage and prestige it's shocking QC that doesn't seem to improve.

I don't know if to just send it off for grading and conservation? 

1 minute ago, AurumArgenti said:

I didn't feel good about returning the first coin. I definitely don't feel like third time is lucky.

What you said sounds feasible. The question is? Have they done the final product run yet? Is there still another final run?

I think they stated up to 4 weeks dispatch time which should give enough time for the last run?

I'm pleased to own one either way. I believe they will only become more sort after and valuable as time goes by.

I just can't believe how little pride in their work the royal mint has. Given it's heritage and prestige it's shocking QC that doesn't seem to improve.

I don't know if to just send it off for grading and conservation? 

The main thing I am getting from all of this.... as we now have 80 pages on the subject... is that they need to review how they sell and interact with customers... knowing full well that a release such as this would be sort after.. they don't see to have a very good planning strategy

Like anything harmony is needed to produce top class results 

Its not just manufacturing try going to the hospital and watch the fighting between different sections 

Overworked and understaffed causes friction between staff

I have it at my work and we don't make anything 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I am assuming that the Royal Mint will have undertaken an additional new run of coins in order to be able to replace their returns.
If so I wonder how many and any surplus, what will happen to them ?
Proofs should be scratch free from the RM so you would imagine there is no contest to replacing, assuming they have minted more.

Are employees able to purchase from an internal shop ?
Some industries have discount shops for employees.
Those returned would be scrapped to adhere to the limited mintage but a few left over - temptation to buy extremely high considering the resale price ....

QC guy just pops them in his pocket and forgets about them I bet 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

18 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

So many members disappointed with the quality of their 3G.

I took my 3G and drilled a hole in the rim, I am now wearing it round my neck. I ain't stressing about QC , just enjoying my coin

I would love to see someone do that 

Would it make the remaining 3509 increase in value 

I just got off the phone with the RM and asked if they knew what the white haze is on my 5oz. The rep said the production team is not able to comment on photos and that my coin would have to be sent in (again) in order for them to have a look at it properly. 

The rep also said that if you can see any markings or flaws when holding the coin at arms length and viewing it with the naked eye, that is when the coin is replaced. Interestingly, he said that is also how NGC grades their coins. They are in a darkened room with special lighting, hold the coin at arms length, have a look at each side for about a minute and then they grade. I always thought they magnified the coin, but he insisted that was not true. The rep said that because the RM has an existing relationship with NGC, they previously had a meeting as to how NGC grades their coins and that was the info they were told. Has anyone heard of NGC grading their coins this way?

p.s. I'm still unsure as to whether or not the coin should go back 😞 

2 hours ago, SovCollector said:

I just got off the phone with the RM and asked if they knew what the white haze is on my 5oz. The rep said the production team is not able to comment on photos and that my coin would have to be sent in (again) in order for them to have a look at it properly. 

The rep also said that if you can see any markings or flaws when holding the coin at arms length and viewing it with the naked eye, that is when the coin is replaced. Interestingly, he said that is also how NGC grades their coins. They are in a darkened room with special lighting, hold the coin at arms length, have a look at each side for about a minute and then they grade. I always thought they magnified the coin, but he insisted that was not true. The rep said that because the RM has an existing relationship with NGC, they previously had a meeting as to how NGC grades their coins and that was the info they were told. Has anyone heard of NGC grading their coins this way?

p.s. I'm still unsure as to whether or not the coin should go back 😞 

White haze could possibly be dried drops of liquid.
Unless purified water or cleaning solution is absolutely clear and properly filtered then when it evaporates it can leave behind a slightly cloudy residue.
I assume coins or planchets are washed and dried in forced air but if a droplet remains on the blank the residue might be baked on with the heat generated by the press.

As for grading a coin at arms length ?
Coin certifiers are looking for perfection in a strike so this is impossible to judge unless examined under magnification and x10 sounds about right.
Maybe the RM grades its quality at arms length, in poor light with a person having arms the length of an orangutan and maybe needs to go to specsavers !.