• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

14 hours ago, Theodoros said:

This is my first post even though I have been following the silver forum daily for some months now. It is full of knowledge and useful information for someone new in the precious metals world like me.

I was lucky enough to buy a gold three graces coin but I am not sure about the condition and if I should return it to royal mint for an exchange. I have attached some photos and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Theodoros

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

I can see it has a 90 degree bend at the end, which could be just a very small hair.

Scratches / hairlines having a 90 degree bend at the end like that, seems less plausible.

I'm not saying it's definitely not a scratch, but turning the capsule slightly to see if it moves will determine whether it's on the coin or not.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but what I do when I need to check something out, is turn on a spot light in a relatively dark room, carefully open the capsule, low over a soft surface, take the top part of the capsule off and very carefully and slowly tilt the coin under the spot light in different directions, to see if anything shines back at you that looks like a scratch / hairlines.  And, only touch the capsule and not the coin.

If it's hair or dust, you shouldn't have anything reflect back at you or reflect differently to a scratch.  If it is a scratch / hairlines, you'll know by how it reacts to the spotlight.

Again, I'm not advising you to do it, but if I ever come across something that needs investigating, I do that first and if I think there's a problem, I then decide how big the problem is, and weigh up the risks of sending it back and having a replacement that may have a different problem, which has happened to me before, but I'm not saying it will happen to everyone and every coin.

Personally, I'd be grateful to even get a highly desirable coin and if it doesn't get a top grade, I'd still be in a relatively good position - I'd be happy with a near perfect grade at 69 and I truly believe down the road, more collectors will be too for these newly minted coins. 

As strange as it sounds, if you cast yourself 20 or 30 years ahead from now and these coins, that are new to us right now, are up for auction and one has a perfect 70 and the other is a 69 or less.  Knowing that there's 20 or 30 years of history in the coin itself, what I think would also add interest in the coin, is parts of the coin that has made up its history in ways that didn't make it a perfect 70 and that history has touched the coin in a way that adds value and counteracts the fact that it isn't absolutely perfect.

Or maybe I'm wanting to believe that, as I have bought a highly desirable coin on the secondary market with some small hairlines on it and I'm starting to think it will actually add value in years to come 🤣.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

Anyone who has missed out on The Three Graces or wishing to buy the 2oz or 5oz head over to our latest Auction 11

https://bidlive.coinsoftherealm-auctions.com/

Live Auction Saturday 13th at 1pm

Thank you for your interest.

Regards

Louise

GRACES.jpg

34 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Hi all, I’ve finally had my coins out and looked at them under a loupe. Would you return these examples?

My 5oz: there seems to be a scratch between the ‘S’ and the back of the first graces’ head.

8D60D7B6-C1A2-48D0-BEDB-35B5E4FD87B3.jpeg

It might be a bit of debris, mine came with a loose capsule and very similar stuff on it that I was sure were scratches but blew off with a desk fan 

The bit of frosting missing on the dress is pretty much standard for the  RM

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

It might be a bit of debris, mine came with a loose capsule and very similar stuff on it that I was sure were scratches but blew off with a desk fan 

Same are you grading yours as is

Mine has loads of dust i know its dust as wasn't there on Friday I received 

My capsule seems stuck  as cannot open with all my strength dont want to crack it either 

Tomorrow  is either return or accept day

After 13 Days and 3 Hrs of waiting finally hold in my hand the BOX and by the time I reached home I was almost flying to open it and hold the 3Gs. I was scared a little bit after reading the 75 Pages of comments and see how some of us have scratches. But I was so optimistic to have a great one.That was the end of my happy story. Once I opened the box I was really shocked by the coin and really disappointment by the RM, most people showed scratch/s on one side, however because I am special I have scratches on 3 sides instead, maybe to match with the 3Gs.

The 3G are really special limited edition coin so I don't understand why they didn't delay the selling until they properly check all the coins before posting them. No one told them to open the sales on the 22nd - I think only people with scratches will agree with me :) 

Unfortunately I am outside the UK, so I am not sure if I should return it to the RM for an exchange. For the past few days I was trying to convince my mind and my heart to send it for grading but now its all about returning it back to RM or not. 

IMG_9028.JPG

IMG_9029.JPG

IMG_9034.JPG

IMG_9036.JPG

3 hours ago, Kman said:

Certain it’s a scratch, it didn’t blow off. 

13 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

Just been checking the NGC census for the Una and Lion 2oz silver.

Only 1 in 3 achieved a 70

About half achieved a 69

One was as low as 64 !!!

Looks like the 3G wont be any better

So in other words there is around a 90 percent chance of achieving a 69 or 70?

Edited by NewCoins

16 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

83.333333333333333333333333333%  chance

Probably a lot less than that as people didn’t bother to grade the ones with obvious flaws so there is already a large bias in the pool of coins which actually made it to NGC

20 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Just been checking the NGC census for the Una and Lion 2oz silver.

Only 1 in 3 achieved a 70

About half achieved a 69

One was as low as 64 !!!

Looks like the 3G wont be any better

It does make me wonder what the market would be like if every coin was perfect and all graded 70? 🤔

I don't think the coin market would be the same as it is today and stimulated in the same way, as having a proportion of coins less than perfect and creating an environment to compete for the very best and bid up the price in auctions to acquire the very best.

I have coins in less than perfect condition from the mint and because they are less than perfect, at some point, I might bid for the same coin, which is in better condition, and, which helps to stimulate the market and generate discussion, like we have about auction sales for the Una and the Lion and the up coming auction for the original Three Graces or the sales on Ebay.

I'm not saying that the condition of newly minted coins are engineered, but if they were, then I would understand why, but I wouldn't agree with it.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

46 minutes ago, Paul said:

no last seconds bids on it - sold for £29,000

Am I the only one who would find it very difficult to bid that much on a coin without actually viewing it first?

i always think if it’s in perfect condition, wouldn’t the owner just get it graded and possibly make double the amount it has just sold for?

5 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

Am I the only one who would find it very difficult to bid that much on a coin without actually viewing it first?

i always think if it’s in perfect condition, wouldn’t the owner just get it graded and possibly make double the amount it has just sold for?

I think the fact they can’t see it will be priced in and if they ask if there are any marks and that turns out not to be the case then they can always return it for a refund. At that price I would of thought it needs to grade below 69 to be worth less maybe which is rare for the golds. 

7 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

My capsule seems stuck  as cannot open with all my strength dont want to crack it either 

It perplexed me for a while.

You can pull the top up a fraction, a bit like a push on cap, and then a small anticlockwise twist will open it.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon