• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Where were you told this, please? I received a package from PCGS via FedEx on Thursday, last week, and the stated value was greater than that. Is this new as of this week?

I am expecting more at the end of this month so now you have me worried!!!

I have been informed today from PCGS in Paris, they have asked me to arrange my own courier and insurance to collect my coins after grading.

They are going to phone me tomorrow after I complained. 

I was wondering if I can get some help from the knowledgeable minds in this forum.

I’ve just received my 5oz gold Graces (after returning it once already) and I’m noticing a similar problem to the first coin received. There seems to be a white film in front of the Queen’s face. 
It almost looks like it hasn’t been polished properly, as it doesn’t have the same deep mirror finish like the rest of the coin. Anyone have any idea what this might be? It’s definitely not on the capsule.

Does this effect the grading?

Big thanks in advance for the help!

E9611A82-6C1F-4B08-AC38-1FC893F2118B.jpeg

7BF9DB54-43C3-40C8-8598-C4611790C212.jpeg

Edited by SovCollector

21 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

I was wondering if I can get some help from the knowledgeable minds in this forum.

I’ve just received my 5oz gold Graces (after returning it once already) and I’m noticing a similar problem to the first coin received. There seems to be a white film in front of the Queen’s face. 
It almost looks like it hasn’t been polished properly, as it doesn’t have the same deep mirror finish like the rest of the coin. Anyone have any idea what this might be? It’s definitely not on the capsule.

Does this effect the grading?

Big thanks in advance for the help!

E9611A82-6C1F-4B08-AC38-1FC893F2118B.jpeg

7BF9DB54-43C3-40C8-8598-C4611790C212.jpeg

I can see hairlines, but am assuming those are on the capsule and not the coin?  You could turn the capsule and see if the hairlines move with the capsule to give yourself some assurance.

With the film on the coin, conservation should be able to help restore it back to the polished mirrored look.

Might be good if you can get a second opinion from another forum member, just to put you more at ease, if their opinion matches mine. 🤔

Edited by GoldenGriffin

5 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I can see hairlines, but am assuming those are on the capsule and not the coin?  You could turn the capsule and see if the hairlines move with the capsule to give yourself some assurance.

With the film on the coin, conservation should be able to help restore it back to the polished mirrored look.

Might be good if you can get a second opinion from another forum member, just to put you more at ease, if their opinion matches mine. 🤔

Thanks @GoldenGriffin, I appreciate your message above.

The hairlines appear to all be on the capsule. I’ve looked the entire coin over and all looks great, except that white clouding on it. I just have no idea what it is...

My concern is that I send it in for conservation and they’re not able to remove it. I then have no recourse with RM as I’ll be outside the return date 😳

45 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

Thanks @GoldenGriffin, I appreciate your message above.

The hairlines appear to all be on the capsule. I’ve looked the entire coin over and all looks great, except that white clouding on it. I just have no idea what it is...

My concern is that I send it in for conservation and they’re not able to remove it. I then have no recourse with RM as I’ll be outside the return date 😳

Glad to hear those hairlines are on the capsule.

If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much, as I'm sure conservation would clean it up nicely.

If you're not in a position to risk it, you could call the RM and see if they'd give you their opinion?

I must admit, I sometimes notice a bit of greasey residue on the wooden box...

Maybe that which is on the coin, has something to do with a substance that is put (or sprayed?) on the box to either glue the inside casing or something that is used to polish the wooden box and wonder if it's got onto the coin, but if it was under my QA control, that definitely wouldn't happen!

But who knows what goes on in the realms of the RM? 🤷

Edited by GoldenGriffin

26 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much, as I'm sure conservation would clean it up nicely.

If you're not in a position to risk it, you could call the RM and see if they'd give you their opinion?

It’s a big gamble...

I’ve never had anything conserved in the past so I’m not entirely sure what it actually accomplishes. Clearly I’m nervous about the whole thing... 😳

11 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

It’s a big gamble...

I’ve never had anything conserved in the past so I’m not entirely sure what it actually accomplishes. Clearly I’m nervous about the whole thing... 😳

If it benefits the coin I'd say its a no brainer.

Surely it can't make the coin worse only better no?

21 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

It’s a big gamble...

I suppose an alternative is to try again with the RM and ask for a replacement, but even that is a risk.

And then if that fails, a refund...

But would you want to be in that position?

It's totally upto you what you do, but I totally understand your position.

What was wrong with the first one?  Do you have pictures?

Edited by GoldenGriffin

11 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I suppose an alternative is to try again with the RM and ask for a replacement, but even that is a risk.

And then if that fails, a refund...

But would you want to be in that position?

It's totally upto you what you do, but I totally understand your position.

What was wrong with the first one?  Do you have pictures?

This was the first 5oz I received before sending it back to the mint. As you can see, it had even more white haze on it. No clue what it is! Is it a polish that hasn't been removed properly? 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_0891.JPG

1 minute ago, SovCollector said:

This was the first 5oz I received before sending it back to the mint. As you can see, it had even more white haze on it. No clue what it is! Is it a polish that hasn't been removed properly? 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_0891.JPG

My silver 2oz has a similar cloudy stuff but much smaller. Might it be a frosting residue. I dont know how they do the frosted part, but i was thinking maybe they cover the mirrored area and spray the places where they want to frost? Maybe they didn't fully cover the mirrored part and thats when it they prayed part of the cameo. I dont know i am just guessing. 

3E16CB52-1116-41B7-BF59-971EE586DD0F.jpeg

38 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

IMG_0891.JPG

To me, your first coin looks worse than your second one.

The blanks are treated and polished, parts of the dyes are sandblasted to give the frosted finish and dyes are polished with diamond paste to give the mirrored look.

Once the coins are struck, I don't think they're polished again.

It does make me wonder whether there's something astray with the process and not sealing the coin and protecting it in a capsule soon after it's struck and the coin is subject to residue from other parts of the packing process OR something's not quite right just after the blanks are polished?

When you take delivery of a gold coin and it's a cold day, you can end up having a misty white dew on the coin, but only until the temperature of the coin has climatised in your house (or Palace 😜) and the dew disappears.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

16 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

To me, your first coin looks worse than your second one.

The blanks are treated and polished, parts of the dyes are sandblasted to give the frosted finish and dyes are polished with diamond paste to give the mirrored look.

Once the coins are struck, I don't think they're polished again.

It does make me wonder whether there's something astray with the process and not sealing the coin soon after its struck.

When you take delivery of a gold coin and it's a cold day, you can end up having a misty white dew on the coin, but only until the temperature of the coin has climatised and the dew disappears.

The first coin was definitely much worse than the second.

On this second coin, everything else looks great. No flaws on the reverse. It’s just that white haze bit 😞

I believe @Pete wrote a piece years ago about leaving your package a few hours to acclimatise after takeing delivery, especially in winter months when opening in a warm house after parcel in a cold delivery van for hours. Condensation issues etc.  If inacapsule , hopefully on this only and not the coin itself.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, SovCollector said:

The first coin was definitely much worse than the second.

On this second coin, everything else looks great. No flaws on the reverse. It’s just that white haze bit 😞

I would keep that if was you. Add conservation and I think you will be fine, I've had a worst come back as 70. It wont be cheap though at 4% of value

15 minutes ago, sovtsf said:

I would keep that if was you. Add conservation and I think you will be fine, I've had a worst come back as 70. It wont be cheap though at 4% of value

Gah, I didn't realise it was 4% of the value. I'm not entirely sure what the value for it is at this moment. 

That's my concern - pay 4% to have it conserved and it doesn't come off. I've just emailed the mint and requested them to ask Stevie Wonder (captain of the quality control team) what that white haze may be. Once I find that out, I may be able to make a better call on it.
If anyone knows what it might be, you get bonus marks for the correct answer!

12 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

Gah, I didn't realise it was 4% of the value. I'm not entirely sure what the value for it is at this moment. 

That's my concern - pay 4% to have it conserved and it doesn't come off. I've just emailed the mint and requested them to ask Stevie Wonder (captain of the quality control team) what that white haze may be. Once I find that out, I may be able to make a better call on it.

I did read something on NGC conservation that they don't repair defects caused by the mint, or something to that effect.

2 hours ago, SovCollector said:

I posted a while back how two of my 2017 Proof Sovereigns developed a haze. It happened a year or so after purchasing them, so I couldn’t really ask the RM for help.

I can’t see what caused this hazing though, as none of my other coins got it, and I can only assume it was some chemical in the 2017 box or capsule which is to blame. 😐

3 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

Apmex is preselling 3G for $4,500.🙄

https://www.apmex.com/product/229175/2021-great-britain-2-oz-silver-the-three-graces-proof

And I am still waiting for mine in the mail...

I was expecting it to be graded...

It’s raw 😱 

Edited by MancunianStacker

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Okay it's back... First impressions are it looks good. Especially compared to the first 3Gs I received.

On closer inspection not so good. The edge of the coin looks a little deformed or a metal burr.

There's also what looks to be a hair or a very faint scratch.🙄

I've only looked at it will the naked eye and phone at this point.

I didn't get the same COA back!

Does this mean anything I'm unsure? Do they just put the coin in any old box and COA who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Have they done a returns switch..... Probably?

IMG_20210310_110718__01.jpg

IMG_20210310_104925.jpg

IMG_20210310_104940.jpg

The first coin for comparison.

IMG_20210303_112127__01__01.jpg

I am assuming that the Royal Mint will have undertaken an additional new run of coins in order to be able to replace their returns.
If so I wonder how many and any surplus, what will happen to them ?
Proofs should be scratch free from the RM so you would imagine there is no contest to replacing, assuming they have minted more.

Are employees able to purchase from an internal shop ?
Some industries have discount shops for employees.
Those returned would be scrapped to adhere to the limited mintage but a few left over - temptation to buy extremely high considering the resale price ....