• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

Look at the iconic Aston Martin DB5 and DB6, they have their ups and downs but in the 1980’s they went from £25,000 to £85,000 then back down to £25,000 in 2000 and now £500,000.

Like many of the coins these days, a lot of Aston Martins went to Japan (right hand drives). Maybe 2,500 DB6s were made (not sure about the DB5s but due to Bond they go for over £1M now). Art you can drive!!! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Not just any silver. The coin release of the decade, Una and the Lion restrike, done exquisitely. It really is a masterpiece and a pleasure to behold and own. Worldwide collector recognition and demand. Of course, you're not paying for just a piece of silver but a rare work of art collector's item. Una's success probably won't be repeated easily any time soon in another coin release. 

I have been thinking about what "Una and the Lion" would look like if it was being designed today.  Given the lack of effort that the Mint seems to put into some of its designs, I fear we would end up with a "deconstructed" (I think this is the vogue term these days) version.

DECONuna2.jpg

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Not a chance. See what the original Unas are costing now... much more. This coin is an item that will grow in value with the years. I wouldn't compare coins with philately.. 

On the one hand I'm sad that I sold the coin now, and not later when it is worth a lot more. But I needed the money so had to justify the sale to myself. Nevertheless, I miss the coin. 

So you wouldn't compare coins with stamps. 

Even though the highest price ever paid for a coin and a stamp is about the same $10m

The stamp collecting market is worth about $10 billion per year, for printed pieces of paper, the coin collecting market is about $18billion, and that includes people collecting for metal intrinsic value as well, 

I think they compare quite well, and lessons learnt in one form of collecting should be heeded in the other. Coin Collecting today is where stamps were in the 1970's and 80's. I see the exact same patterns occuring today in coin collecting, that I saw in stamps many decades ago. It's one of the reasons I'm slowly moving out of coins. As the use of coins in general circulation falls, interest from the kids who will be the collectors of the future falls. Slowly the number of collectors diminishes as the old guys die, (have you seen the average age of collectors at coin fairs), and the bottom falls out of the market.

I'll be out before that happens. 

1 minute ago, HighlandTiger said:

So you wouldn't compare coins with stamps. 

Even though the highest price ever paid for a coin and a stamp is about the same $10m

The stamp collecting market is worth about $10 billion per year, for printed pieces of paper, the coin collecting market is about $18billion, and that includes people collecting for metal intrinsic value as well, 

I think they compare quite well, and lessons learnt in one form of collecting should be heeded in the other. Coin Collecting today is where stamps were in the 1970's and 80's. I see the exact same patterns occuring today in coin collecting, that I saw in stamps many decades ago. It's one of the reasons I'm slowly moving out of coins. As the use of coins in general circulation falls, interest from the kids who will be the collectors of the future falls. Slowly the number of collectors diminishes as the old guys die, (have you seen the average age of collectors at coin fairs), and the bottom falls out of the market.

I'll be out before that happens. 

Here is the big difference : pieces of paper don't have any intrinsic value. Pieces of precious metal do... and always will. 

6 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Here is the big difference : pieces of paper don't have any intrinsic value. Pieces of precious metal do... and always will. 

That just means there is a actual bottom to the market that hovers just above zero, not that the market will stay the same forever. 

Many on here are in their 30's saving for their retirement in 40 years time. I can guarantee 100% that if collectible coins are put away today and sold in 40 years time, you will probably have made zero profit, when factoring inflation, storage and insurance into the equation.

Can anyone name me 5 coins, out of all the coins minted in the 1970's that if sold today  will have made a profit. 

I started another thread saying the same but all collectible markets seem to be very hot atm

Maybe a lot of stimulus money has pooled into them, cash saved from mortgage holidays, loan deferrals, less travel/leisure, people bored at home, fear of inflation, a mixture of all? I'm not sure but It seems totally at odds with the current economic climate

My guess would be within a year of public stimulus stopping all the money will get sucked back out for bills/necessities and the markets will start getting flooded and prices will crash

But more stimulus is likely first so 🚀

Edited by Kman

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

I started another thread saying the same but all collectible markets seem to be very hot atm

Maybe a lot of stimulus money has pooled into them, cash saved from mortgage holidays, loan deferrals, less travel/leisure, people bored at home, fear of inflation, a mixture of all? I'm not sure but It seems totally at odds with the current economic climate

My guess would be within a year of public stimulus stopping all the money will get sucked back out for bills/necessities and the markets will start getting flooded and prices will crash

But more stimulus is likely first so 🚀

Agree 100%

Agreed. The same thing seems to be happening in Australia.

Although jobs have taken a slamming, consumer spending is up, most likely because of the boost in government stimulus to the newly jobless. Which is stupid because the same people using the dole for, umm, unnecessary purchases, will be so much more worse off when the dole drops back down to it’s usual basic amount next year. That’s when the real crash will happen.

On 20/11/2019 at 09:28, westminstrel said:

True. But what’s the logic of having it for a random year like 2020 when some big, memorable anniversaries are literally just around the corner? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The government needs money 

The unas are a beautiful coin no doubt, and right now the market says the price is what it is - and so the current value is just. But make no mistakes.. this is UNA mania due to the planets aligning - they will drop in price significantly.. And people will eventually talk about remembering what crazy prices they went to. 

What we have now is one big game of hot potato, very soon if not already many will be looking to swap thier 2oz of silver for 2 ounces of pure gold..more and more coins will be graded and the PF69 and PF70 coins will drop too.

I realize my opinions are not popular to anyone holding one, sorry im not trying to "deramp" your stunning coins, they are incredible! but its my honest opinions on the current price point.

Edited by Madstacks

6 hours ago, Madstacks said:

The unas are a beautiful coin no doubt, and right now the market says the price is what it is - and so the current value is just. But make no mistakes.. this is UNA mania due to the planets aligning - they will drop in price significantly.. And people will eventually talk about remembering what crazy prices they went to. 

What we have now is one big game of hot potato, very soon if not already many will be looking to swap thier 2oz of silver for 2 ounces of pure gold..more and more coins will be graded and the PF69 and PF70 coins will drop too.

I realize my opinions are not popular to anyone holding one, sorry im not trying to "deramp" your stunning coins, they are incredible! but its my honest opinions on the current price point.

If the arse does fallout of them ( which doubt ). I'll be happy to buy a few more cheap. I regret not picking up more. 

23 minutes ago, AurumArgenti said:

If the arse does fallout of them ( which doubt ). I'll be happy to buy a few more cheap. I regret not picking up more. 

Seems like a classic bubble to me

We're somewhere in the mania phase

Again as said above it's not just coins it's most collectible markets where currency has pooled

I'm hoping some time in 2021 will be a good time for cash buyers to get into things

bubble.png.f6e31c206d493fae81adcf168087aa7e.png

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

28 minutes ago, Kman said:

Seems like a classic bubble to me

We're somewhere in the mania phase

Again as said above it's not just coins it's most collectible markets where currency has pooled

I'm hoping some time in 2021 will be a good time for cash buyers to get into things

bubble.png.f6e31c206d493fae81adcf168087aa7e.png

Yep we've all seen the cheat sheet. I just don't think your right this time.🙂 

Have you sold yours Kman?

Edited by AurumArgenti

1 hour ago, AurumArgenti said:

Yep we've all seen the cheat sheet. I just don't think your right this time.🙂 

Have you sold yours Kman?

Nope still have it 

I don't generally sell anything but I should be looking to if I can get £2000+ 🤔

On 13/10/2020 at 20:17, Kman said:

Nope still have it 

I don't generally sell anything but I should be looking to if I can get £2000+ 🤔

I'm in this boat as well. Getting to the point where even without grading its looking like it would be silly not to sell. As much as I like it...  I like that profit more!

38 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I'm in this boat as well. Getting to the point where even without grading its looking like it would be silly not to sell. As much as I like it...  I like that profit more!

Swapping 2oz of silver for an 1oz+ of gold is a good result in anyone books if your not into these fancy designs 

I've really enjoyed reading this thread - an interesting range of opinions on an undoubtedly remarkable coin. I should say that I dont own one, mainly because (relatively) expensive proof silver gives me the fear of waking up to milk spotted bullion one day. 

If I had one, then I genuinely dont know what I would do. I see the merit in both sides of the stick/twist debate. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. 

I will keep watching with interest. If the value collapses, I'll pick one up for 50 quid! - if it keeps on flying then congrats (and even tougher decisions) to those of you who bought them.

On 12/10/2020 at 18:10, HighlandTiger said:

That just means there is a actual bottom to the market that hovers just above zero, not that the market will stay the same forever. 

Many on here are in their 30's saving for their retirement in 40 years time. I can guarantee 100% that if collectible coins are put away today and sold in 40 years time, you will probably have made zero profit, when factoring inflation, storage and insurance into the equation.

Can anyone name me 5 coins, out of all the coins minted in the 1970's that if sold today  will have made a profit. 

That is a brilliant question at the end. Love the challenge. Are you referring to proof coins or bullion or any ? I also assume you would require a consideration for rates of inflation and real rates if inflation. Also, what should it all be measured against ?