• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

The proclamations for the Una were published in mid October 2019 for a November 2019 release. No sign so far this year for the next engravers...

Looking back, quite interesting some of the comments. I wonder where the really big sized coins are? There's suppose to be a 5 kg, 2 kg, 1 kg, 5oz in Gold to go with the 2 oz. Will they be released? What will they do for the current Gold Una market???

the only, most recent entry on The Gazette from Royal Mint for anything "2oz gold" in size is 

"and the date of the year, and for the reverse a depiction of intertwined flowers accompanied by Our Royal Cypher and the inscription “MY HEART AND MY DEVOTION 1926 2021”. 

But its available in 10kg gold, 1kg gold, 5oz gold, 2oz gold plus various silver/proofs piedforts and cupronickel

Doesn't sounds like the Engavers coin given the piedforts & common circulation coins mentioned of the same design

2 hours ago, Paul said:

the only, most recent entry on The Gazette from Royal Mint for anything "2oz gold" in size is 

"and the date of the year, and for the reverse a depiction of intertwined flowers accompanied by Our Royal Cypher and the inscription “MY HEART AND MY DEVOTION 1926 2021”. 

But its available in 10kg gold, 1kg gold, 5oz gold, 2oz gold plus various silver/proofs piedforts and cupronickel

Doesn't sounds like the Engavers coin given the piedforts & common circulation coins mentioned of the same design

Collectors of royalty £5s will be pleased to hear that a new £5 coin is being issued featuring the Royal Cypher and the inscription “MY HEART AND MY DEVOTION” alongside the date of the Queen’s birth and the year 2021.

Source: https://www.changechecker.org/tag/new-release/

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

And the PF 70 was mine. Purchased right here on the forum from @richatthecroft. 
Kerbloomingching. I have it good authority that the successful bidder was a volunteer for the recent Covid vaccination trials. No side effects reported as of yet 🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Artictim said:

Kerbloomingching. I have it good authority that the successful bidder was a volunteer for the recent Covid vaccination trials. No side effects reported as of yet 🤣🤣

well done - great price :) 

1 hour ago, Artictim said:

Well done! Even though I only got around half that for mine... Having sold earlier on, I am genuinely pleased to see the silver Una doing so well. Long may the trend continue! 

• 4 weeks later...

You would expect if the Royal Mint were going to mint just four one kilo coins, they would all be ‘perfect’ (in grading terms), right? I would love to know the reason from the graders as to why it was not a perfect 70. Could it have been through handling after the Mint released the coin or perhaps due to the mint just not being perfect?

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You would expect if the Royal Mint were going to mint just four one kilo coins, they would all be ‘perfect’ (in grading terms), right? I would love to know the reason from the graders as to why it was not a perfect 70. Could it have been through handling after the Mint released the coin or perhaps due to the mint just not being perfect?

Any tiny mark on those large fields and it’s a 69. The bigger the coin the more difficult usually.

The 5oz silvers are a nightmare to get a 70 in. Hence their huge premiums. Imagine how this would be as a PF70!!

7 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Any tiny mark on those large fields and it’s a 69. The bigger the coin the more difficult usually.

The 5oz silvers are a nightmare to get a 70 in. Hence their huge premiums. Imagine how this would be as a PF70!!

That is totally understandable, but if you bought that coin raw and it graded lower than 70, would you have such a pragmatic attitude?

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

That is totally understandable, but if you bought that coin raw and it graded lower than 70, would you have such a pragmatic attitude?

I’ve got 69 grades on £4,700 coins, small 2oz gold ones, so I wouldn’t expect a totally perfect coin on a bigger one. Also, I wonder if it was conserved first, a speck of gold dust could make a grader lower his grade perhaps.

I graded a kilo silver coin recently, had it conserved and luckily it got a 70.

Seems to be a lot of luck involved 

50 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

I’ve got 69 grades on £4,700 coins, small 2oz gold ones, so I wouldn’t expect a totally perfect coin on a bigger one. Also, I wonder if it was conserved first, a speck of gold dust could make a grader lower his grade perhaps.

I graded a kilo silver coin recently, had it conserved and luckily it got a 70.

Seems to be a lot of luck involved 

Yes, including with who is doing the grading, too. I know that both NGC and PCGS use a procedure that requires multiple graders to review, but I have recently submitted a coin to PCGS that previously was graded as a 69. I took it out of the holder and resubmitted it afresh (with no) restoration and it came back as a 70. There are a fair few considerations, I guess... apologies though for taking this off topic.

5 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

I think I can see a scratch near her face in the first pic. But impossible to know from here if it's on the coin or slab. 

5 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

We don't know if the owner handled the coin before it went for grading, it could have had a little accident. Not necessarily the mint 's problem. 

For me and forgetting all the problem coins that come out of RM and playing the devils advocate; I don’t believe RM have ever said their high end coins are guaranteed a particular grade? The grading of coins has become a secondary activity after minting. So after watching numerous grading openings and my own experience of grading sometimes the difference in grade needs high magnification and a leap of faith to understand why one coin is a 69 and another is a 70.

Don’t get me wrong Id be fuming if I didn’t get a 70 on a very exclusive and high end coin but it doesn’t surprise me when it happens. Also when it happens you are left with little to no options as RM never said you’d get a 70. So many factors in this and small margins that when it happens you’d like to ask the grading company what they saw.

36 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

For me and forgetting all the problem coins that come out of RM and playing the devils advocate; I don’t believe RM have ever said their high end coins are guaranteed a particular grade? The grading of coins has become a secondary activity after minting. So after watching numerous grading openings and my own experience of grading sometimes the difference in grade needs high magnification and a leap of faith to understand why one coin is a 69 and another is a 70.

Don’t get me wrong Id be fuming if I didn’t get a 70 on a very exclusive and high end coin but it doesn’t surprise me when it happens. Also when it happens you are left with little to no options as RM never said you’d get a 70. So many factors in this and small margins that when it happens you’d like to ask the grading company what they saw.

👍🏻 

For most, any grade lower than a 69 on a brand new proof coin would mean it’s no longer a proof coin / has a visible defect reducing its value.

Obviously, prior to plastic capsules or flips PF69 or less is normal. 

55 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

👍🏻

For most, any grade lower than a 69 on a brand new proof coin would mean it’s no longer a proof coin / has a visible defect reducing its value.

Obviously, prior to plastic capsules or flips PF69 or less is normal. 

This is not true. Proof is minting technique just like BU or UNC, not a quality. With a BU coin you are not guarantied to get a MS70 aswell.

I can still understand if people are disappointed if the do not get a MS/PF70, but this is not something any mint can promise on a new coin!! 

7 minutes ago, sgcoins said:

This is not true. Proof is minting technique just like BU or UNC, not a quality. With a BU coin you are not guarantied to get a MS70 aswell.

I can still understand if people are disappointed if the do not get a MS/PF70, but this is not something any mint can promise on a new coin!! 

You’re right. Ok, technically it’s still a proof coin but not in my eyes as a buyer. I should’ve been clearer. 

I wouldn’t be paying “Proof” money for a 68 or 67 graded 2020 Proof coin. With those grades, you might do better breaking it out of the slab and selling raw. I treat them as handled / nearer bullion PM.

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

I wouldn’t be paying “Proof” money for a 68 or 67 graded 2020 Proof coin. With those grades, you might do better breaking it out of the slab and selling raw.

This, anything less than a 69 on a new proof is completely unappealing. 

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-1ISSYN/2019-silver-5-pounds-2-oz-proof-una-the-lion-ngc-pf-70-ultra-cameo-5841288-006

£6,000 paid for a PF70 silver Una & Lion today 

The big hammer prices are done seem such a flash in pan as more sell 

Edited by Paul

2 hours ago, Paul said:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-1ISSYN/2019-silver-5-pounds-2-oz-proof-una-the-lion-ngc-pf-70-ultra-cameo-5841288-006

£6,000 paid for a PF70 silver Una & Lion today 

The big hammer prices are not just a flash in pan as more sell 

That's impressive and constantly good performance, always a little more than the previous time (PF70). This one is definitely a keeper, not just flavour of the month. A rare evergreen classic. 

Just now, goldmember44 said:

That's impressive and constantly good performance, always a little more than the previous time (PF70). This one is definitely a keeper, not just flavour of the month. A rare evergreen classic. 

yup ! looks that way :) 

wish i had bought a silver one now when i had the chance to at launch :(