• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

2 hours ago, Fivepoundfred said:

Not sure if the RM would attempt to grade these ?  I know they are intending to grade some of the upcoming Queens 95th birthday range but i don't know which coins specifically.

So far they have only marketed the PF70 graded £2 Mayflower (Gold and Silver) and the PF70 graded £5 Peace/War (Gold and Silver). All sold out. NGC had a front page announcement about it on their website. I spoke with the RM about this last month and they are going to see how the reaction works out for them. I reckon the fact everything sold out is a good indicator of what they will do next.

(NB I have ordered the War/Peace and Mayflower in silver PF70 and am expecting both in mid-November).

What will be interesting to see in the next release is if the gold 2oz ever makes it to open market or whether they are sold direct to customers much like the Queen 2oz gold was. The RM must be aware of how this coin has done and what that will likely mean for demand of the next in the series. I suspect even the silver will be a tough one to get ahold of when they go on sale. Will certainly be a very different story to last year when the silver Una took a couple days to sell out.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Well the RM can't charge mad prices for a release product, that will have to come in the secondary market, regardless of graded or not. 

Im sure they will be looking to milk all they can from it - it wont have escaped them how much they go for now and they will absolutely want a piece one way or another.  

Im sure secondary market prices will be higher though no doubt.

38 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

What will be interesting to see in the next release is if the gold 2oz ever makes it to open market or whether they are sold direct to customers much like the Queen 2oz gold was. The RM must be aware of how this coin has done and what that will likely mean for demand of the next in the series. I suspect even the silver will be a tough one to get ahold of when they go on sale. Will certainly be a very different story to last year when the silver Una took a couple days to sell out.

I have the same suspicions, probably get sold to those with account mangers. 

it somewhat reminds me of how rolex watches sell, waiting lists, buying lesser models to build up a rep with the dealer - eventually getting an in demand Steel sports model at retail. 

I dont get involved but il be there with the rest trying to buy one at retail. And absolutely the silver will be tough to get - it will probably sell out in mins. I also expect some canceled orders fiasco too.

Edited by Madstacks

7 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

it somewhat reminds me of how rolex watches sell, waiting lists, buying lesser models to build up a rep with the dealer - eventually getting an in demand Steel sports model at retail. 

I dont get involved but il be there with the rest trying to buy one at retail. And absolutely the silver will be tough to get - it will probably sell out in mins. I also expect some canceled orders fiasco too.

any news about when will the next great engravers coins will appear ?

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Although we have not heard anything from the mint as yet, the first in the Great Engravers series came out in late November last year

Keep those credit card balances at zero folks so you have room if they release the next in the series on same date

Or just open a new credit card 😂 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

On 07/10/2020 at 15:13, Madstacks said:

There is also a trend with Rolex dealers not supplying the authenticity certificates for a year after you have bought a watch to ensure you can’t flip it. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

23 minutes ago, BrumChris said:

Ungraded silver Una appears to have sold for £2700 on EBay. 

Same seller relisted BIN £2500

I don't think genuine sale 

Anything up to ~£1000 I think is silly but I could believe is genuine, but nothing over that currently

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Anything up to ~£1000 I think is silly but I could believe is genuine, but nothing over that currently

Hard to say. Looking at the pictures I can say that they are differents. Difficult to say for the coin itself, but the capsules are different. 

Note that, I have already bought from this seller and everything went flawlessly

Edited by Frenchie

7 hours ago, Kman said:

If you can get any silver Una for around £1000 it's a massive bargain and moneymaker. I don't think you can get them any more for that kind of price. 

19 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

If you can get any silver Una for around £1000 it's a massive bargain and moneymaker. I don't think you can get them any more for that kind of price. 

I'm going off August-September Ebay sales

Has it gone from ~ £600 then to £1000+ now?

Doesn't make sense of a jump that large for a coin that's already been out a year 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 minute ago, Kman said:

I'm going off August-September Ebay sales

Has it gone from ~ £600 then to £1000+ now?

Doesn't make sense of a jump that large for a coin that's already been out a year 

Yeah old ebay sales don't matter when they have recently sold for much more. At coin cabinet a PF70 got £5500 and a 69 over £2000. It's only going to increase from here on. I saw another one for sale elsewhere a few days ago for 9000 euros. 

3 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Yeah old ebay sales don't matter when they have recently sold for much more. At coin cabinet a PF70 got £5500 and a 69 over £2000. It's only going to increase from here on. I saw another one for sale elsewhere a few days ago for 9000 euros. 

I wouldn't call one or two months old

I personally don't trust their auctions, I've seen examples of prices achieved where the same coin in the same grade was much cheaper at a BIN price on Ebay.. didn't make any sense

If prices across the board on other platforms start to match we shall see but I would still think people are ridiculous to pay £1000 for a modern 2oz silver proof with a 3000 mintage

Just now, Kman said:

I wouldn't call one or two months old

I personally don't trust their auctions, I've seen examples of prices achieved where the same coin in the same grade was much cheaper at a BIN price on Ebay.. didn't make any sense

If prices across the board on other platforms start to match we shall see but I would still think people are ridiculous to pay £1000 for a modern 2oz silver proof with a 3000 mintage

You may think it ridiculous, but I have personally sold mine on this very forum a few weeks ago for £3350 (that was before the cc auction, so I would expect to get more now). 

7 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

You may think it ridiculous, but I have personally sold mine on this very forum a few weeks ago for £3350 (that was before the cc auction, so I would expect to get more now). 

You sold 2oz of modern silver for £3350?

Barnum was right 😏  

10 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

You sold 2oz of modern silver for £3350?

Barnum was right 😏  

Not just any silver. The coin release of the decade, Una and the Lion restrike, done exquisitely. It really is a masterpiece and a pleasure to behold and own. Worldwide collector recognition and demand. Of course, you're not paying for just a piece of silver but a rare work of art collector's item. Una's success probably won't be repeated easily any time soon in another coin release. 

I bought it in December 2019, scarcely more than half a year ago, for £178 (I remember some people complained at the time that it was too expensive). 

Edited by goldmember44

3 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Not just any silver. The coin release of the decade, Una and the Lion restrike, done exquisitely. It really is a masterpiece and a pleasure to behold and own. Worldwide collector recognition and demand. Of course, you're not paying for just a piece of silver but a rare work of art collector's item. Una's success probably won't be repeated easily any time soon. 

Quite right, forget the PM content, they are limited edition art pieces, the PM being the type of canvas.

People pay millions for original paintings, these modern coins being “prints” unless you are lucky enough to have the only coin left in existence or a trial proof etc. People also pay many thousands for prints too, the COA on a box being the equivalent certificate number.

Grading of the quality of “print” then comes into play. That being the main difference between coins and art 🖼 I suppose.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

6 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Quite right, forget the PM content, they are limited edition art pieces, the PM being the type of canvas.

People pay millions for original paintings, these modern coins being “prints” unless you are lucky enough to have the only coin left in existence or a trial proof etc. People also pay many thousands for prints too, the COA on a box being the equivalent certificate number.

Grading of the quality of “print” then comes into play. That being the main difference between coins and art 🖼 I suppose.

Exactly. And all the more so in the current uncertain economic climate, where expensive collectibles are considered shrewd investments and assets. This is a good article about that from NGC:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8523/

$360,000 for a Superman comic book! 

Edited by goldmember44

11 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Not just any silver. The coin release of the decade, Una and the Lion restrike, done exquisitely. It really is a masterpiece and a pleasure to behold and own. Worldwide collector recognition and demand. Of course, you're not paying for just a piece of silver but a rare work of art collector's item. Una's success probably won't be repeated easily any time soon in another coin release. 

I bought it in December 2019, scarcely more than half a year ago, for £178 (I remember some people complained at the time that it was too expensive). 

I'll be happy to take a wager that in 10 years time, I'll be able to buy one for a similar price to what you originally paid, (assuming spot hasn't risen to £1000 an ozt)

I always refer back to my philatelic days, and I can remember numerous releases that hit astronomical figures for a few years, (traffic light gutter pairs for example - one pair per sheet of 240). That today can be bought almost at cost, all due to people moving on to the next big thing.  Well done for selling at the right time. Nice one

1 minute ago, HighlandTiger said:

I'll be happy to take a wager that in 10 years time, I'll be able to buy one for a similar price to what you originally paid, (assuming spot hasn't risen to £1000 an ozt)

I always refer back to my philatelic days, and I can remember numerous releases that hit astronomical figures for a few years, (traffic light gutter pairs for example - one pair per sheet of 240). That today can be bought almost at cost, all due to people moving on to the next big thing.  Well done for selling at the right time. Nice one

Not a chance. See what the original Unas are costing now... much more. This coin is an item that will grow in value with the years. I wouldn't compare coins with philately.. 

On the one hand I'm sad that I sold the coin now, and not later when it is worth a lot more. But I needed the money so had to justify the sale to myself. Nevertheless, I miss the coin. 

1 minute ago, HighlandTiger said:

This is a good point and something to be careful of as in part the latest fashion drives prices and once no longer in vogue the price premium is gone. The added risk with some modern silver coins can be rather than gradual ageing you get rapid degradation. Still a great buy for anyone who got in early and sold recently.