• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

ChrisSilver
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please do not use this section to share affiliate links, this is against forum rules. We do not want the forum to become full of spam links. Please note the announcement here, which explains in more detail

Anyone new to them will no doubt get an introductory phone call in the next few days, pushing their proof coins (like I did). I stopped him in his tracks when I pointed out that the £899  proof 2021 sov he was trying to sell me was being sold by Chards for £599. (Are they new, he asked) 🤣

Then informed him that it was a one off purchase due to price, and not interested in any other products. I've never heard from them since.

Show you know what you are talking about and they soon lose interest.    

Edited by Richym99

19 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I'm sure they will.

BTW, your avatar photo looks rather familiar! 🙂

@LawrenceChard You're thinking of a long standing member @MikeSol with the same jubilee head avatar. Not good if we're getting mixed up. Let's go for the gold standard instead. Haven't seen anyone using that one 👍

Edited by GenX

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I have never known them fail to honour their loss-leader deal, after all, they make these offers in full knowledge thay they make a loss on the first sale. It is their cost of getting you onto their database, and hopefully onto their mailing list.

Thanks for explaining the economics. It felt like that was the plan, just poorly executed (e.g. displaying the offer price and the usual price same page). Reassuring to know you'd be inclined to predict all would be well.

On 23/05/2021 at 18:46, leotsend said:

Thanks for explaining the economics. It felt like that was the plan, just poorly executed (e.g. displaying the offer price and the usual price same page). Reassuring to know you'd be inclined to predict all would be well.

Good news, it turned up this morning, so all is well. Thanks again @LawrenceChard for your input, and absolutely @Coolsmp for spotting it. Bravo.

Edited by leotsend

Maybe a coincidence, although they denied it anyway. I had two phone calls this morning from the Jubilee Mint in Bournemouth. They are pushing a new Alderney proof gold £1 coin on behalf of the RNLI (8gms, 995 minted, yours for the very reasonable sum of £995)🤣

The only place I can think that they got my mobile number was from H&B ( without my consent of course) since I have never done business with any of the Jubilee, Westminster, Commonwealth or London Mint companies, but H&B sell the products from them all.

I shouldn't get any more calls after the conversation I just had with them.     

45 minutes ago, leotsend said:

Good news, it turned up this morning, so all is well. Thanks again @LawrenceChard for your input, and absolutely @Coolsmp for spotting it. Bravo.

Your'e welcome!

Here is a link to an earlier discussion including Harrington & Byrne.

Edited by LawrenceChard
remembered to add the link!

Chards

8 hours ago, Richym99 said:

Maybe a coincidence, although they denied it anyway. I had two phone calls this morning from the Jubilee Mint in Bournemouth. They are pushing a new Alderney proof gold £1 coin on behalf of the RNLI (8gms, 995 minted, yours for the very reasonable sum of £995)🤣

The only place I can think that they got my mobile number was from H&B ( without my consent of course) since I have never done business with any of the Jubilee, Westminster, Commonwealth or London Mint companies, but H&B sell the products from them all.

I shouldn't get any more calls after the conversation I just had with them.     

You could try asking Jubilee Mint how and where they obtained your telephone number and / or other details. In writing would be better than by telephone.

I believe that Harrington & Byrne is owned and run by ex Westminster employees, similarly Jubilee Mint, CPM (Coin Portfolio Management). Most of these are clustered around Bournemouth or Poole in Dorset, although H&B show a Mayfair London address.

The misleadingly named London Mint Office are not a mint, but a subsidiary of Samlerhuset Group, the biggest coin marketing company in Europe.

Don't confuse London Mint Office with the London Mint or the Royal Mint.

Harrington & Byrne recently did a leaflet drop offering. The leaflet gives the impression that it is an official document of some kind, headed "National Household Notification". It takes quite some time to discover that the issuing authority is Alderney in the Channel Islands. Most casual readers will quite reasonably assume that it is an official United Kingdom coin issue. Many TSF members will probably know that I dislike misleading advertising.

Edited by LawrenceChard
fixed typos

Chards

34 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

You could try asking Jubilee Mint how and where they obtained your telephone number and / or other details. In writing would be better than by telephone.

I believe that Harrington & Byrne is owned and run by ex Westminster employees, similarly Jubilee Mint, CPM (Coin Portfolio Management). Most of these are clustered around Bournemouth or Poole in Dorset, although H&B show a Mayfair London address.

The misleadingly named London Mint Office are not a mint, but a subsidiary of Samlerlhuset Group, the biggest coin marketing company in Europe.

Don't confuse London Mint Office with the London Mint or the Royal Mint.

Harrington & Byrne recently did a leaflet drop offering. The leaflet gives the impression that it is an official document of some kind, headed "National Household Notification". It takes quite some time to discover that the issusing authority is Alderney in the Channel Islands. Most casual readers will quite reasonably assume that it is an official United Kingdom coin issue. Many TSF members will probably know that I dislike misleading advertising.

Thankfully I am well familiar with the relationships between them.all, and their lack of any connection to.tge Royal Mint. I have a similar dislike of their tactics, which is why I gave them no quarter when I phoned them. Despite them claiming not to have any record of me on their system, it is obvious I am somewhere. I have told them to check their call logs from today and delete it or else. It is sickening to see them offering things like Victoria jubilee head sovereigns, random date and grade, for £795. Only those who have no idea what they are buying would fall for such "deals".

4 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

Thankfully I am well familiar with the relationships between them.all, and their lack of any connection to.tge Royal Mint. I have a similar dislike of their tactics, which is why I gave them no quarter when I phoned them. Despite them claiming not to have any record of me on their system, it is obvious I am somewhere. I have told them to check their call logs from today and delete it or else. It is sickening to see them offering things like Victoria jubilee head sovereigns, random date and grade, for £795. Only those who have no idea what they are buying would fall for such "deals".

Maybe you were phoned by a boilershop telesales company, and the salesperson forgot which comapy he or she was supposed to be calling from!

Victoria jubilee head sovereigns, random date and grade, for £795 - That's probably even more expensive than from the Royal Mint. 🙂

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Maybe you were phoned by a boilershop telesales company, and the salesperson forgot which comapy he or she was supposed to be calling from!

Victoria jubilee head sovereigns, random date and grade, for £795 - That's probably even more expensive than from the Royal Mint. 🙂

I didn't speak to them originally..I was not in a position to answer my phone, which showed up as Jubilee Mint on the caller i.d. I just redialed when I was free because I wanted to know where they got my number from.

As far as there prices, it's worse. £795 for Edward VIi sovs too. Bullion 2021 for over £500. 😮

3 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

I didn't speak to them originally..I was not in a position to answer my phone, which showed up as Jubilee Mint on the caller i.d. I just redialed when I was free because I wanted to know where they got my number from.

As far as there prices, it's worse. £795 for Edward VIi sovs too. Bullion 2021 for over £500. 😮

Yeh but it comes in a nice case. 

3 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

I suspect a closer connection than we know. I do sometimes check Companies House, but don't always remember the results.

Chards

3 hours ago, leotsend said:

Just got mine today too, had a chat with a nice guy on the phone yesterday - he tried to sell me a proof but i politely declined.

I feel we are vilifying these guys a bit too much without them being here to defend themselves - I know we wouldnt like it if we were in thier shoes. No one likes being talked about in such ways behind thier backs.

We know it's a marketing move, nothing is free in this world, so buying at below spto does come with them trying to upsell on the phone, I'm OK with that...

I for one, I'm grateful we can participate in this deal - i hope other dealers will do deals like this too! :) 

THanks @Coolsmp!! And thanks to H&B for the great deal!

Lets be possitive, grateful, rather than hateful.

Edited by Touvex

1 minute ago, Touvex said:

We know it's a marketing move, so buying at below spto does come with them trying to upsell on the phone, I'm OK with that...

agreed with this sentiment.

at least they compensate you for using your data and sending you ads!

24 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Just got mine today too, had a chat with a nice guy on the phone yesterday - he tried to sell me a proof but i politely declined.

I feel we are vilifying these guys a bit too much without them being here to defend themselves - I know we wouldnt like it if we were in thier shoes. No one likes being talked about in such ways behind thier backs.

We know it's a marketing move, nothing is free in this world, so buying at below spto does come with them trying to upsell on the phone, I'm OK with that...

I for one, I'm grateful we can participate in this deal - i hope other dealers will do deals like this too! :) 

Yeah, I'm certainly over my initial reaction when i saw £319 but then £349 in the body of the print. Fully onboard with the move theyre making.

36 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Fair enough. You love it because you get a nice cheap but of gold at spot price and can put up with a bit of shill from their salesmen. But remember, we are not their target audience. Those phone calls and marketing leaflets are aimed at those who know absolutely nothing about gold collecting whatsoever. They are the more elderly with cash to spare. They offer their proof coins at exorbitant prices on the basis of them being a "great investment and something you can pass on to the Grandchildren" (The exact words that were spoken to me by one of their salesmen.

My mothed's parther, who is 88, gets almost weekly flyers off them, offering great deals on coins, issued against remote islands like Tristan da Cunha, for many times the intrinsic value and with hardly any resale value, like £300 silver proof piedfort coins I bought on ebay second hand for £100. Great investment indeed. Fortunately, he had the common sense to say no.  

So yes, it might be good for us, but I bet that for every sovereign sold to us, another is being soldnto somebody totally unaware that they are about to become a target for what is effectively a marketing scam.         

3 hours ago, Richym99 said:

Fair enough. You love it because you get a nice cheap but of gold at spot price and can put up with a bit of shill from their salesmen. But remember, we are not their target audience. Those phone calls and marketing leaflets are aimed at those who know absolutely nothing about gold collecting whatsoever. They are the more elderly with cash to spare. They offer their proof coins at exorbitant prices on the basis of them being a "great investment and something you can pass on to the Grandchildren" (The exact words that were spoken to me by one of their salesmen.

My mothed's parther, who is 88, gets almost weekly flyers off them, offering great deals on coins, issued against remote islands like Tristan da Cunha, for many times the intrinsic value and with hardly any resale value, like £300 silver proof piedfort coins I bought on ebay second hand for £100. Great investment indeed. Fortunately, he had the common sense to say no.  

So yes, it might be good for us, but I bet that for every sovereign sold to us, another is being soldnto somebody totally unaware that they are about to become a target for what is effectively a marketing scam.         

Fair point - this train of thought and criticism I agree with 100% - I just felt there was a lot of hate directed in the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Touvex said:

Fair point - this train of thought and criticism I agree with 100% - I just felt there was a lot of hate directed in the wrong way.

No worries, but I would have to disagree about the use of the word hate. To my mind, it is calling into question disreputable trading practices to highlight them for the less knowledgeable. To put it into context, imagine a relative of yours proudly showing off their "new" shiny 2020! Gold sovereign to you, that the salesman had said was a wonderful investment and a gift for the grandchildren or as part of the inheritance. Would you have the heart to tell him or her that what had been bought was only worth £315, when you see that they had been sold this and price they had paid. 

https://jubileemint.co.uk/sovereigns/sovereigns-queen-elizabeth-ii/the-united-kingdom-s-new-2020-gold-sovereign.html

Probably 90% of the population have no idea whatsoever about the value of gold, or even what a sovereign looks like. They rely on the honesty and integrity of salesmen. Sadly, their trust is often misplaced because of the greed of certain companies like H&B and the one linked above, who trade on people's naivety. 

Edited by Richym99

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Most of these are clustered around Bournemouth or Poole in Dorset

These are referred to a DFL's where I come from. 
Down From London. 
Its the ones that have country gear & Defenders & live in a town that really make me laugh. 

No offence to Londoners in general but some of them really take life way to seriously. ;)
Reminds me of the victorians at times & I have spent some time with the rich DFL's (usually from finance).
Its ironic that they scoff at simple country folk that are way more happy intrinsically.
Miles more wealthy in our souls shall we say. 

The tilted people I have met or known have been the best actually, especially higher up ones like lords, Earls, Ladies - normal people really. 
None of which are from London mind, but may have spent a lot of time there. 

5 hours ago, Touvex said:

I feel we are vilifying these guys a bit too much

I agree in some senses as I had a lovely sov from them in an air tight at a cheap price. 
I really like this logo and paper too, but its sales tech for duping the elderly & un informed as its designed to look like a top end lawyers stuff. 
A lot of time and thought has gone into this strategy & at the end of the day is to make a profit. 

I complained & I had a nice voice mail from a guy so that was on the point customer scribe wise, but I bet that was also built into the strategy. 
He said in the voice mail you did not do that  but I definitely clicked the 'dont send me c**p button'. 
It started with one letter welcoming me directly from the director, then it escalated to top to 2 a week! 

Whether people get conned in paying over the odds IMO if thier fault!
But thier business model is dodgy thats the fundamentals of it really. :)

Edited by Stacktastic