• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

ChrisSilver
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please do not use this section to share affiliate links, this is against forum rules. We do not want the forum to become full of spam links. Please note the announcement here, which explains in more detail

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

You need to set up as a dealer, and show us how it should be done! 🙂

But you didn't explain or clarify which of the two you thought was shadier. 😒

haha :)

It's a very difficult one to answer; I've personally never used H&B and so cannot testify as to the persistence of their post-sale marketing efforts. Being a millennial, I never answer the phone anyway.

23 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Thank you! So it can be resold as bullion?

I think it just means you should point out the defects when you resell it rather than make a thread that says

bullion 50 pesos £1650

with no photos unless you don't mind having an angry buyer who wants a refund.

34 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I thought it was because to be classed as bullion it had to be 99.5 %  and above.

Lead or pig iron can be classed as bullion.

To qualify as "Investment Gold" for EU and UK tax purposes, gold coins must be at least 90%. It's different for gold bars.

https://chards.co.uk/blog/what-is-investment-gold/428

Chards

45 minutes ago, Touvex said:

should not be resold as “bullion”

According to the Google dictionary - Bullion: gold or silver in bulk before coining, or valued by weight

1. in bulk... is a singular item - Nope
  2. before coining... is a coin - Nope
  3. valued by weight... priced at a % premium over spot, based on weight - Yup

Technically, according to this definition, they are correct - this does not qualify as bullion... but it is such a lovely chunk of gold

(go easy on them @LawrenceChard) :) 

15 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

It's a very difficult one to answer; I've personally never used H&B and so cannot testify as to the persistence of their post-sale marketing efforts. Being a millennial, I never answer the phone anyway.

Fine, but you must have known what you meant when you said:

"They don't offer to buy back proof sovs/numismatic coins at below spot which is equally  more shady imho."

and I was asking you to clarify which of the two was more shady.

Chards

20 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

According to the Google dictionary - Bullion: gold or silver in bulk before coining, or valued by weight

1. in bulk... is a singular item - Nope
  2. before coining... is a coin - Nope
  3. valued by weight... priced at a % premium over spot, based on weight - Yup

Technically, according to this definition, they are correct - this does not qualify as bullion... but it is such a lovely chunk of gold

(go easy on them @LawrenceChard) :) 

I prefer to rely on Oxford English Dictionary, although it is a much more difficult read.

Although it's getting late...

A singular item could also be bulk, for example a 10 tonne lump of gold would be bulky.

Coin blanks could also be considered as bullion, as could scrap gold. Ingots before they are rolled out into sheets are definitely bullion.

On a slight tangent, I thought I had recently read something about salt, boiling, bouilon, and bullion, so I Googled "bullion salt" without the quote marks. Google responded

"Did you mean: bouillon salt", but did not give me an option to say "no", or to search for "bullion salt".

That's really frustrating. I could try shouting at my monitor, but it probably won't help much.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typos - getting late!

Chards

26 minutes ago, 27carrots said:

I think it just means you should point out the defects when you resell it rather than make a thread that says

bullion 50 pesos £1650

with no photos unless you don't mind having an angry buyer who wants a refund.

That's a decent explanation,

BTW: Anyone got any suggestions what grade "C" stands for?

Chards

16 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's a decent explanation,

BTW: Anyone got any suggestions what grade "C" stands for?

Easy - grade “C” is referring to what a dog tends to leave in the park that you are supposed to pick up.

We've all been undercharging for our sovs, obviously. If only we could sell gold coins @ £3,825 per oz. But buy at £1,346 per oz. 

https://www.windsormint.co.uk/2013-elizabeth-ii-gold-sovereign-uk-2460041?number=UK_2460041

Personally, I don't recommend this deal. Notice the wording that this is a "rare" chance to own a 2013 sovereign.   

4 hours ago, Richym99 said:

We've all been undercharging for our sovs, obviously. If only we could sell gold coins @ £3,825 per oz. But buy at £1,346 per oz. 

https://www.windsormint.co.uk/2013-elizabeth-ii-gold-sovereign-uk-2460041?number=UK_2460041

Personally, I don't recommend this deal. Notice the wording that this is a "rare" chance to own a 2013 sovereign.   

The picture is a 2014 sovereign. I have a few 2013 sovs. Bought them last week from Hatton Garden Metals for £321 each.................people actually fall for this carp (thanks for the language pointer @LawrenceChard)

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

The picture is a 2014 sovereign. I have a few 2013 sovs. Bought them last week from Hatton Garden Metals for £321 each.................people actually fall for this carp (thanks for the language pointer @LawrenceChard)

I didn't even notice that. Mind you, it doesn't matter as they charge the same for all the EIi bullion sovs, or any others for that matter.  

@LawrenceChard

This has evidently been cleaned at some point, but goodness me I feel like I have got myself a beauty of a coin for 1.6% over spot (when you factor in postage)

A 1946 original to boot, what a coin. 

If this is what you call a Grade C coin then GIMMIE GIMME GIMME

YES PLEASE!!!!

PXL_20210527_121031552.jpg

PXL_20210527_121024107.jpg

PXL_20210527_121038093.jpg

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@LawrenceChard

This has evidently been cleaned at some point, but goodness me I feel like I have got myself a beauty of a coin for 1.6% over spot (when you factor in postage)

A 1946 original to boot, what a coin. 

If this is what you call a Grade C coin then GIMMIE GIMME GIMME

YES PLEASE!!!!

PXL_20210527_121031552.jpg

PXL_20210527_121024107.jpg

PXL_20210527_121038093.jpg

Have you performed the 'bite' test yet. The 'C' could stand for Chocolate.....

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks for posting that BBC YouTube video, it a good link to send people to.

I have seen it before, but forgotten about it.

There are quite a few errors in it, both by Gloria and the auctioneer guy,

Anyone who the "expert" dealer was, and which company?

Oh, i hope this guy doesn't make a second mistake and sell them at auction!

8 hours ago, Richym99 said:

Having seen that, I would not recommend Windsor Mint for anything, with the possible exception of deportation.

However, in their defence, I feel compelled to point out that their rare chance to own a 2013 sovereign is for an extreme rarity, possibly unique.

693686901_20132014GoldSovereignPagebyWindsorMintcopy.thumb.jpg.96589cb75eb097fb3ab6fce5cac0ec8e.jpg

As you can see from this screenshot, it is dated 2014, making it without doubt the rarest 2013 sovereign in existence!

🙂

It is rather quirky that WM have described the coin's face value as "Sovereign", rather than £1. I would agree that its denomination should be deemed correct as a sovereign, but denomination and face value are not always one and the same thing.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

The taboo language problem, combined with extreme risk of a typo, swayed us to avoid stocking the 2017 King Cnut coins, or King Canute as the Royal Mint rather prissily calls him.

I don't know if anybody read a Jeremy Clarkson article a few weeks ago in the Sunday Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/even-the-great-british-nickname-is-an-affront-to-henry-the-humourless-and-inclusive-izzie-0d66qfkjr

talking about nicknames, in which he refers to "King Cnut the Anagram".

Chards

46 minutes ago, VelociteeSteel said:

Oh, i hope this guy doesn't make a second mistake and sell them at auction!

That would probably have been his third, fourth, or fifth mistake.

The whole video was also littered with errors and omissions from everybody in it.

Chards

18 hours ago, Spark268 said:

By the time I get to 1000 years old, I will have stopped answering the phone too.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards