• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Nosey Friend said how much?

Tips for the wenches?

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

On 15/03/2022 at 22:48, ryanp007 said:

Today I received a number of fantastic world gold pieces from @Leonmarsh:D

It would be hard to pick a favorite out of this batch but I'm going to do it anyways and give a special shout out to the Tunisian 100 Franc, for more reasons than one. Not only is it a beautiful design and in flawless condition, but its face value and metal content can't help but get you thinking.

Unlike a true LMU 100F minted in the decades previous (even into the late 20's in Italy), which were 35mm and contained nearly a full ounce of gold (0.9335ozt), this 100F measures 21mm, weighs 6.55g, and contains 0.1895 ozt of gold. Of course, fellow LMU nerds will immediately recognize this as essentially a 20F, though its not dead on.

So when is 100F not 100F? You might say its when it goes from nearly an ounce of gold to a fifth of an ounce. In Europe, it happened during and after the first world war. Ironically, because countries tried hard to maintain a fixed point of reference using gold, and the gold (or silver) was literally in the coin, you can see very clearly the points along the way where these devaluations/debasements happened. Moving into the post WWII era, Bretton Woods, and into modern times, those points become difficult to see clearly, with little or no fixed points of reference.

Its interesting to think about today in terms of the inflation we see all around us, the $1M price tags on houses, people feeling priced
out of absolutely everything. Is it even really possible to know when $100 is not $100 anymore? Or £ or €? At least in France (or Tunisia, lol) in 1935, if you held a 100F coin in your hand that used to mean an ounce but now meant a fifth-ounce, you knew exactly where you stood in the world, economically. You probably didn't like it, but you knew!

Sorry for the rant folks. Not only did I receive these beautiful coins this week, but I also filled some diesel trucks at work with fuel at historically high prices. Puts me in a philosophical frame of mind and reminds me why I like precious metals! 

20220314_174809.jpg

20220314_174838.jpg

20220314_174210.jpg

20220314_174223.jpg

20220314_174432.jpg

20220314_174454.jpg

20220314_174706.jpg

20220314_174718.jpg

20220314_174046.jpg

20220314_174101.jpg

That Tunisia 1935 gold 100 Francs is a real peach of a coin isnt it, very well done..... 🧐

3 minutes ago, alexmcsheffrey said:

Some amazing additions to my world gold collection arrived today, thanks to @DuncanWylieWilson the 8 Escudos and 16 Pesos are huge !!

09855947-f47d-40e5-869d-bf82f2b68883.jpg

1b4ae237-92e1-46ed-ab5e-104d1941a84e.jpg

Amazing coins! All are gorgeous but that Brazil 6400 Réis 1795-R is the winner in this lot in my eyes. Stunning piece and a most intricate and peculiar bust of Maria I! 😅

Thank you!

"INDIVIDUAL AMBITION SERVES THE COMMON GOOD." – Adam Smith

⚜️ Sub-Forum https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/144-wilson-numismatics-uk/

Instagram_logo_2016_svg.png.0244211e338af7f899b5e071b205d306.png Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wilsonnumismatics/

🕸 Website https://worldgold.co.uk

10 minutes ago, entsor said:

Some rather lovely world gold has been arriving over the past couple of days, thanks to @DuncanWylieWilson

Kingdom of Italy 40 Lire 1812-M
The Shieldback Sovereign 1872
The Chile 10 Pesos 1865
France 40 Francs 1811-A

PXL_20220317_120220415~2.jpg

Great coins - the 1812M 40 Lire is the 1812 with the 2nd 1/0 variety. Such overdates are very common on the coinage of Napoleonic Italy - quality control was a shambles, even compared to some of the mints today.:ph34r::P

Edited by SilverTanner

5 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

Great coins - the 1812M 40 Lire is the 1812 with the 2nd 1/0 variety. Such overdates are very common on the coinage of Napoleonic Italy - quality control was a shambles, even compared to some of the mints today.:ph34r::P

Superb observation! Well done and thank you for sharing.

Another worthy note is that due to quality control being shambolic, many of the planchets upon which the coins were struck didn't meet the required specifications as set out by the standards of the Latin Monetary Union (LMU). Consequently, these sub-par planchets were 'adjusted' manually and exhibited what looks like scratches and scrapes on the surface of the coins, most commonly around the edge and across the centre of the shield. People who are unaware of this mistake these as damage sustained from circulation, but they are in fact manual adjustments made to the planchets before the coins were struck such that the resulting coin conformed with the LMU standards.

Nevertheless a very attractive type LMU coin and certainly one with amazing history!

Cheers!

"INDIVIDUAL AMBITION SERVES THE COMMON GOOD." – Adam Smith

⚜️ Sub-Forum https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/144-wilson-numismatics-uk/

Instagram_logo_2016_svg.png.0244211e338af7f899b5e071b205d306.png Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wilsonnumismatics/

🕸 Website https://worldgold.co.uk

1 hour ago, DuncanWylieWilson said:

Another worthy note is that due to quality control being shambolic, many of the planchets upon which the coins were struck didn't meet the required specifications as set out by the standards of the Latin Monetary Union (LMU). Consequently, these sub-par planchets were 'adjusted' manually and exhibited what looks like scratches and scrapes on the surface of the coins, most commonly around the edge and across the centre of the shield. People who are unaware of this mistake these as damage sustained from circulation, but they are in fact manual adjustments made to the planchets before the coins were struck such that the resulting coin conformed with the LMU standards.

Nevertheless a very attractive type LMU coin and certainly one with amazing history!

Cheers!

Adjustment marks are very common on the Napoleonic Italian coinage, particularly on the gold issues and I have a few although I try and buy examples where this isn't too bad, 'correct' coins often command a hefty premium.:(

You are correct in this was Napoleon's attempt to standarise the coinage across Europe and it just highlighted the challenges in doing this for mints which were used to striking other denominations. It was about 50 years, from 1865, before the LMU had a more successful attempt, again using the French coinage as a basis. The latest incarnation being the Euro:lol:

1 hour ago, DuncanWylieWilson said:

Another worthy note is that due to quality control being shambolic, many of the planchets upon which the coins were struck didn't meet the required specifications as set out by the standards of the Latin Monetary Union (LMU). ️

Especially when they were struck by the Papal States! 😂😄😄😄

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

Am I right to think those geigers have an ultraviolet mark on them? Their one of those bars I wasn't keen on but they kinda growing on me a bit. 

Yeah they do, cool lol.

Trust me even though they have a higher premium they are worth it in my humble opinion. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip