• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold, What have you got most of?

AaaGee

Mostly fractional, 1/10th I have most of but that's more a collection, rest is quarter sovs and various fractional coins that I've got at spot or close to, everything from 9ct Battle of Britain coins to 1/25ths in .999

7 hours ago, Colnago said:

I have a few extra 1/4 Libs that would be up for parole 😎 Damn hard to price as they are never up for sale anywhere.. 

2008 PF69 

2017 PF70 

2018 MS68

Hey @Colnago if you have any other 1/4 oz Libertads you’re interested in selling I would certainly consider acquiring one from you. Let me know if you have anything not too premium or in bullion cheers 👍

Mankind’s two greatest enemies are the state and central banks - Jeff Berwick

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

On 31/07/2022 at 12:37, AaaGee said:

A question for the stackers.

What have you got most of? 

Im just wondering what is most popular for an average stacker.

Im an average bloke on average earnings and can probably squeeze 2 to 300 pounds a month to spend on coins or bars.

Is it worth saving a couple of months and buy larger weights, eg  quarters or halves? Or even saving and buying ounces?

Premium aside, wont the average stacker want smaller weights as they are more pocket friendly to buy?

The gold that you should stack should be the coin (or bar) that is most popular in your country.   As a Canadian, I stack gold maple leaf.  An American would stack the American gold eagle or the Buffalo.  And for you Brits over there, the Sovereign and/or Britannia.  The reason you want to stack popular gold coins in your home country is because it will be easier for you to liquidate for a higher price when you need to convert gold to fiat.   But having said that, stacking the major gold bullion from Canada, USA, UK, Australia, Austria, South Africa...you can't really go wrong as they all have international appeal.  

IMHO...if money is a factor, save up for the 1/10 oz size.  Buy on a regular basis to take advantage of dollar cost averaging.   You can never time the market (price) perfectly, so don't worry about price fluctuations.  If you are consistent in your buying, the average cost will correct itself in the long run.  What's important is to define your gold stacking goal and stick with it for the long run.  Your future self will thank you.  My 2 cents.

For me - 1 oz UK bullion gold coins, followed by full sovereigns.  Then 1/4 oz bullion gold coins, then various odds and ends (double and quintuple sovs, 1 oz bullion gold bars, 1/2 oz gold bullion coin, 1/10 oz gold coin)

For stacking - bullion sovereigns and 1 oz bullion Britannias.

8 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

I'm American but the vast majority of my gold are Perth Mint and Royal Mint products. Something about Perth Mint gold and mostly sovereigns piled on each other produces a striking visual.

Surely stateside the eagle is king ?  Well if you are in America still ? 

32 minutes ago, trozau said:

More collector than stacker. The most I have of is the China Panda gold bullion proof like series in 1 Troy ounce size. Full run from 1982 - 2015

For the various year designs refer to brochure picture below…

C2EAA790-E989-4AF3-ACD3-8AD140E1E398.thumb.jpeg.96d1afdd72b8910bcca0977be88ba3f0.jpeg

Love this I may get involved 

33 minutes ago, trozau said:

More collector than stacker. The most I have of is the China Panda gold bullion proof like series in 1 Troy ounce size. Full run from 1982 - 2015

For the various year designs refer to brochure picture below…

C2EAA790-E989-4AF3-ACD3-8AD140E1E398.thumb.jpeg.96d1afdd72b8910bcca0977be88ba3f0.jpeg

Also what happened for the recent years ? Did the run stop then ?

15 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Also what happened for the recent years ? Did the run stop then ?

From 2016 onwards, China Mint went metric. The 1 Troy ounce (31.1 grams) coin was reduced to 30 grams. The designs continue to change every year.

2016 is a good starting point for new Panda collectors cause they would NOT have to chase the older/higher premium coins.

For me, stacking gold is more suitable in jewellery shape. So, my main gold stack is in pre-owned carat gold, from 9ct up to 22ct. I am buying every month some, mostly at spot price. Very easy to travel, sell, buy everywhere around the Europe without too many questions at borders. Also, I consider them a kind of fractional gold. If necessary, I can sell at any pawn shop in any country a ring or a light chain to fill my fuel tank.😁

Of course, I am accumulating as well sovereigns and gold francs, easy to sell everywhere in minutes for the right price.

6 hours ago, stefffana said:

For me, stacking gold is more suitable in jewellery shape. So, my main gold stack is in pre-owned carat gold, from 9ct up to 22ct. I am buying every month some, mostly at spot price. Very easy to travel, sell, buy everywhere around the Europe without too many questions at borders. Also, I consider them a kind of fractional gold. If necessary, I can sell at any pawn shop in any country a ring or a light chain to fill my fuel tank.😁

Of course, I am accumulating as well sovereigns and gold francs, easy to sell everywhere in minutes for the right price.

The one thing I've learned from stacking is diversity is key.

22 hours ago, stefffana said:

Im new to PM collecting so have steered clear of jewellery as i wouldn't know if id been taken for a ride or not. So far its been 2021/2 brits with the holograms etc. And 1g bars from trusted sellers. I'll learn in time, diversity is key.

Just now, AaaGee said:

Im new to PM collecting so have steered clear of jewellery as i wouldn't know if id been taken for a ride or not. So far its been 2021/2 brits with the holograms etc. And 1g bars from trusted sellers. I'll learn in time, diversity is key.

You are doing very well buying what is safe and suitable for you. In UK it is a very mature market for sovereigns and brits, also for almost all the gold products. 

For me, because I am foreigner, I need to have in my stack something with liquidity everywhere. I am here today, in my plan is to work here another five-seven years, but I need to be prepared for any scenario.

If I will need to go back quick in my country after an unexpected change in my family situation or economical climate will change drastically, I can take my stack on me and my wife and that's it. The value is exchangeable everywhere.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is my point of view.🤗

On 13/08/2022 at 02:58, stefffana said:

Imho, “stacking” gold jewelry brings less scrutiny when crossing the border.   Sometimes customs officer will overlook the jewelry you’re wearing.  But the same dollar amount in bullion coins might get flagged for additional scrutiny. 

Having said that, if anyone gonna be wearing lots of gold chains and bracelets like Mr T or some gangsta rapper, you’re gonna draw unwanted customs (or criminal) attention no matter what.  Best to be modest in the amount of gold jewelry one wears when travelling abroad.  

Well the most numerous in my little war chest is the 1oz Queens Beast Completer coin. I love the design and it happened to be available from RM when I turned a knackered house into cash. 

Bit impulsive to be honest, but it was intended as a long term storage of some wealth. At a £25 premium per coin at the time over a Britannia I thought possible collectibility justified it.

Sticking a rational head on (lives in cupboard,  rarely comes out) Sovs. Buy Sovs. Easy to buy. Easy to sell. Easy to hide away in a safe place too!

1 minute ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Well the most numerous in my little war chest is the 1oz Queens Beast Completer coin. I love the design and it happened to be available from RM when I turned a knackered house into cash. 

Bit impulsive to be honest, but it was intended as a long term storage of some wealth. At a £25 premium per coin at the time over a Britannia I thought possible collectibility justified it.

Sticking a rational head on (lives in cupboard,  rarely comes out) Sovs. Buy Sovs. Easy to buy. Easy to sell. Easy to hide away in a safe place too!

I think mid-term that was a very good idea :)

That Lawrence fella tried to tell me at the time stick with Britannias at a few pounds less, instead I picked up a few of these (mostly gradable it was very nice to see) at not much more. Last I checked Chards no longer list the premium on these!

On 31/07/2022 at 13:47, RDHC said:

Lucky you! 5 oz. must be amazing. Also, I like the owl, a querky touch if not entirely appropriate, and this Britannia looks distinctly louche to my eye, which some may find appealing!

The owl is perfectly appropriate if you understand who Britannia actually is.  She might be the same entity as Colombia (Lady Liberty, whatever), the Mexican Victoria, or any of those female national spirit personifications.  Regardless, she's probably Athena (Greek) or Minerva (Roman).  The owl would be called "Minerva's owl" and is often seen with her in images.  

Though when it comes to Colombia/Lady Liberty, as in the Statue of Liberty, there's debate on who or what that actually is.