• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold, What have you got most of?

AaaGee

A question for the stackers.

What have you got most of? 

Im just wondering what is most popular for an average stacker.

Im an average bloke on average earnings and can probably squeeze 2 to 300 pounds a month to spend on coins or bars.

Is it worth saving a couple of months and buy larger weights, eg  quarters or halves? Or even saving and buying ounces?

Premium aside, wont the average stacker want smaller weights as they are more pocket friendly to buy?

Covered many times before but it is NEVER a pain to answer this questions- we all started somewhere once.

Go for low pct above spot.  Sov or Brit work well. Cheaper in the forum then dealer if they are available but look at dealers none the less.

Sovs make the most sense and Gillicks hit the spot every time for me.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Think I may have mentioned this, but I started with 1/10th Gold Brits (after some Silver purchases when cash was tight) - as they were easier to afford - when a client paid an invoice, I'd grab one.

Recently, work has been plentiful, so have made the most of it, with some sovereigns etc - and if I want to get another sovereign, I can always sell a 1/10th coin and put some towards it for the Sov 😁

If I have a quiet month, I can always sell a 1/10 or two to keep ticking along - or a Sovereign if I need a little more 👍

Sovereigns are usually available at fairly low premiums here on the forum, which means you'll get pretty much what you paid for it back if you have to sell in the shorter term, and should see a modest profit as the years go by if you don;t need to sell.

I'll probably keep buying 1/10ths when they are reasonably priced, as they seem fairly easy to move on should the need arise, but I'll probably be concentrating on Sovereigns where possible, as they appear to be a good balance between premium and ease of liquidity.

Edited by Scootermuppet

27 minutes ago, Petra said:

Sovereigns - full, half, quarter, 1/10ths and some silver. Really stopped buying silver, however, do like the different proof Britannia.

Yes, I do agree about the different proof Britannias, some of which come in really low mintages, perhaps only a few hundred or a bit over one thousand at most (slightly depends on the denomination).

1 minute ago, RDHC said:

Yes, I do agree about the different proof Britannias, some of which come in really low mintages, perhaps only a few hundred or a bit over one thousand at most (slightly depends on the denomination).

The only 5oz coin I have is a slabbed 2013 proof. Amazing coin. 5oz certainly gives amazing detail. Only issue is that it’s in a slab!

4 minutes ago, Petra said:

The only 5oz coin I have is a slabbed 2013 proof. Amazing coin. 5oz certainly gives amazing detail. Only issue is that it’s in a slab!

Lucky you! 5 oz. must be amazing. Also, I like the owl, a querky touch if not entirely appropriate, and this Britannia looks distinctly louche to my eye, which some may find appealing!

Just now, RDHC said:

Lucky you! 5 oz. must be amazing. Also, I like the owl, a querky touch if not entirely appropriate, and this Britannia looks distinctly louche to my eye, which some may find appealing!

Sorry, that should be 'quirky'. Too late at night for the old brain.

This month Sovereigns are what I have the most of at the minute, pop in my local pawn shop once/twice a month and buy one. But, after a few months I'll get bored with sovereigns, so then I'll buy a few 1/4oz coins. If at the end of the month I have spare cash, I'll save it and put it towards a 1oz coin, or I may buy a half sov! The thing for me that keeps me motivated to keep stacking is buy a variety of different coins.

Mostly bullion sovereigns, 1oz silver coins and small gold ingots. VAT is a nightmare on the silver so I try to pick bits up on this forum or when I am outside of the UK.

My intention has always been to get as many ounces of each metal as possible but every so often I get seduced by something I just think looks nice like a proof sovereign or even a base metal coin.  

10 minutes ago, RDHC said:

You’re right, when I got hold of the large coin it was a wow moment. Luckily I have also managed to pick up at auction (excellent price) the rest of the 2013 in a proof collection… 1, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/10!

Thanks for your replies everyone. It looks like im on the right track then. Id love to buy 1oz brits but a little out of my reach for now. I'll get on with the sovereigns when i can. And carry on with the 1/10 & 1/4s aswell.

All appreciated 👍

In terms of the most of one type of coin, that's Sovereigns. But i have a mix of 1oz and a proof half Sov in the stack as well. The 1oz are whatever had the lowest premium when i am in a position to add one to the stack, so it's a mix of Krugs, Brits, a Kangaroo and a Buffalo. 

As for any advice for what to get, it's really down to your own personal circumstances. Buying 1 Sov every time you can afford it works well for a lot of people as it's a nice feeling to see progress regular and often and then it obviously prevents you spending the cash on something else, however if you can save, then you will get better deals either buy buying a bigger 1oz coin at a lower premium or if you are buying from dealers, there is a reasonable discount in premium to be had for buying say 5 Sovs in one go rather than 1 at a time (just be prepared for the inevitable curse of watching spot drop about 2 mins after you complete the order! 😂). 

In terms of selling, Sovs are about as liquid as you are going to get. You should have no issue shifting these to either private individuals or to dealers. 1oz, there are still plenty of buyers for these but you may find people want a pre established seller history before parting with bigger chunks of cash. Dealers though will almost certainly take these off your hands all day long just factor in you might get a little below spot for them.

Haven't got back into gold at this time. If so I'd be buying sovereigns, half sovereigns, a little pre-1933 US and as many ex-mount guineas and halves just because I like stuff of this era. No bullion coins.

Silver I keep very diverse. Lots of pre-1920, some pre-1816 silver, a tiny amount of scrap hammered silver. I also have some pre-1947 (although I don't really like these as a rule, bulky for what they contain), junk Swiss, lots of pre-65 US silver, a bag of Latin Monetary silver francs/lira, some Imperial Russian, Third Reich 2 and 5 Reichsmarks, some 18th century French ecus and Spanish 8 reales.

The rest is sterling flatware, mostly spoons and forks but also cigarette cases, sovereign cases, pocket watches and Albert chains.

The only modern bullion coins I own are some Maria Theresa Thaler restrikes.

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

Any great condition but cheapish😬🤣 bullion 1/4s currently? 

I have a few extra 1/4 Libs that would be up for parole 😎 Damn hard to price as they are never up for sale anywhere.. 

2008 PF69 

2017 PF70 

2018 MS68

3 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I have a few extra 1/4 Libs that would be up for parole 😎 Damn hard to price as they are never up for sale anywhere.. 

2008 PF69 

2017 PF70 

2018 MS68

What's the best price on the ms68?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip