• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cheapest way to buy a tube of sovs

TommyTwoShots

49 minutes ago, TommyTwoShots said:

Hi all,

anyone know the best way to pick up a tube of 25 sovereigns? I’m assuming from a dealer? Can you get older sovereigns by the tube? Many thanks

@Abyss suggestion is spot on. 

But I have a cheaper way. Take 1 GBP, Go back in time (10 years or so), invest that one pound in those damn crypto's, fast forward to today, sell those crypto's and spend it all (except that one pound) on @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer sovs!

That must be the cheapest way! 

Edited by Jvw

Different dealers have their 'best value' sovs. Atkinsons were cheapest when I was shopping a couple of days ago. 

I did look at Chards though they were 'orderable' they weren't 'in stock'. I've used HGM and BBP in the past too but on this occasion were more expensive. I also picked a few up off the forum just depends on the day what people have for sale. 

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/sovereign-gold-coins/pre-owned-uk-full-gold-sovereign-mixed-dates

These are also now out of stock though it does seem to update by the day  

3 hours ago, Abyss said:

Second hand sovereigns you can buy 25 of them

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-bullion-sovereigns-secondary-market/1990

1 hour ago, Skyfiller said:

Chards work out cheaper than Atkinsons for 25 even when taking postage into account. (This is for 2021 sovereigns).

Just be aware that they don't have the best value in stock, just the 2021's. " Check this box to acknowledge that there is an indefinite wait until my order is fulfilled." 

Edited by SilverDrum
2021's are in stock :)

78av.gif

3 hours ago, TommyTwoShots said:

Yer Atkinson are free postage to I noticed!

Can Free Postage Cheat You Out of the Best Deal?

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/free-postage/26

also:

Free Delivery

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/free-delivery-or-visible-fees/1017

Need I say more?

😎

Chards

I have bought quite a bit from Chards, probably more than any of the others, and much like dealing with their helpful, friendly staff - but equally when I was last in the market for a fair number of Sovereigns the best value price was from Atkinsons, where free delivery aside, the coins received were tubed, in almost impeccable condition, plus I got a small % kickback by using a credit card which gives me an annual % credit on my annual expenditure with them. 

So in summary, I don't believe there is any definitive answer to the subject matter, it depends on varying circumstances on any chosen day.

Edited by Coverte
typo

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I reiterate what earlier folks have stated.
Once you have added in any shipping costs then do a comparison on the day you plan to make a purchase.
Prices do vary and I suspect based on inventory and the movement in spot.
When prices are rising people will sell and when prices fall people will buy.
Therefore when prices appear "cheap" you will not find any for sale as they are snapped up.
I used to regularly purchase from HGM when you could find sovereigns at 2% over spot but they have morphed in to a coin shop with higher margins rather than a FIFO bullion dealer where the morning receipts are shipped out in the evening post.

1 hour ago, Coverte said:

I have bought quite a bit from Chards, probably more than any of the others, and much like dealing with their helpful, friendly staff - but equally when I was last in the market for a fair number of Sovereigns the best value price was from Atkinsons, where free delivery aside, the coins received were tubed, in almost impeccable condition, plus I got a small % kickback by using a credit card which gives me an annual % credit on my annual expenditure with them. 

So in summary, I don't believe there is any definitive answer to the subject matter, it depends on varying circumstances on any chosen day.

There is a response which I would love to make here, but I suspect that Atkinson's might not like it.

Although I possibly have a reputation for being quite outspoken, I refrain from publishing everything I know, partly because some of this might upset a number of people, and might not necessarily gain me respect from the readers.

I will say though, and I have said this before elsewhere, that when we at @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer buy in coins, including secondary market bullion sovereigns, which people have bought elsewhere, it is relatively common to see coins which are in some way sub-standard. This could include being damaged ex-jewellery coins, very polished coins, underweight coins, and fakes. My conclusion from much of this is that there are many out there, including some well-known dealers who do not apply the same quality standards that I or we do, and some do not appear to be able to detect fakes (except for the most obvious), and possibly do not care. Some possibly believe they can and do detect fakes infallibly, which is always a dangerous belief.

I know that I'm not infallible. I am happy to say that I am still learning. 😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

There is a response which I would love to make here, but I suspect that Atkinson's might not like it.

Although I possibly have a reputation for being quite outspoken, I refrain from publishing everything I know, partly because some of this might upset a number of people, and might not necessarily gain me respect from the readers.

Two points,

1. I'm pretty sure Atkinson's wouldn't be a big fan of this post anyway.

2. I for one would have more respect if you did post "everything you know" providing it was factual, better than posting innuendo imo

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

The price comparison tool on TSF is good.

I think it was created by @Darr3nG, who seems like a good guy.

It allows for postage, greys out results where the item is not in stock, which is useful, and by default it only compares for single pieces, which is OK if you only want to buy one, but is not helpful for investors as opposed to hobbyists, and can mislead people.

I also suspect that some dealers tweak their single prices so that they came out top in the knowledge this is likely to influence potential buyers.

The Chards website also has price comparisons on many relevant pages. While this is not perfect, it does allow for UK postage, and is better for comparing plural purchases rather than single items, therefore more relevant for investors.

The TSF "compare" page looks like it need updating as one of its default searches is for "2020 Sovereign" rather than "2021 Sovereign". 

In some cases, it can also be cheaper to buy 2020 or 2021 sovereigns from Chards rather than "Sovereigns" elsewhere.

Many websites supplying "bullion by post" don't appear to have premises from where coins can be  collected, and I am sure most of these don't knock off the "free postage" cost if you wish to collect them in person.

Chards

24 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

who seems like a good guy.

:) Do I get a "good guy" discount, if I ask real nice? Thinking about a trip to Blackpool soon...

25 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

OK if you only want to buy one, but is not helpful for investors as opposed to hobbyists, and can mislead people.

I also suspect that some dealers tweak their single prices so that they came out top in the knowledge this is likely to influence potential buyers.

Both true statements, more people were originally looking to buy smaller amounts; and I have noticed that some dealers do indeed like to be top of the charts. Win - win (for the buyer), if you ask me!

If I get a chance, in the new year, I will look at incorporating bulk discounts.

27 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

TSF "compare" page looks like it need updating as one of its default searches is for "2020 Sovereign" rather than "2021 Sovereign"

My laziness! I intend to do a big update once the 2022 bullions coins become available.

1 hour ago, ArgentSmith said:

Two points,

1. I'm pretty sure Atkinson's wouldn't be a big fan of this post anyway.

2. I for one would have more respect if you did post "everything you know" providing it was factual, better than posting innuendo imo

1) Probably not, but you could ask them, or invite them to participate in this thread.

2) The second part of my post was general, rather than relating to any one specific dealer.

Some of the comments I could post here are already published on the Chards website. We have not always named the dealer, but in most cases this could be easily discovered. Where possible I include evidence to support my opinions. 

I quite often get asked to check or authenticate coins, including gold sovereigns. I almost always ask where they were sourced. Some owners are reluctant to reveal this, in which case I am reluctant to help them. Some owners are slightly unsure, and I take this uncertainty into account when forming any conclusions, although some of the same names crop up frequently enough to add weight as circumstantial or statistical evidence. On some occasions, owners have identified the sources on packets, and sometimes show us invoices, in which case there is a strong presumption that their information is accurate.

I do not lightly post "innuendo", and paused for some time before posting my comments above, which are soundly based on facts and evidence. On the one hand, I am very aware that my bold posting might attract negativity, but on the other hand some price comparisons are not like-for-like, and I believe I am entitled to try to address the imbalance.

There are other considerations for me to take into account, apart from the names of any particular dealers. People who have bought from, or are fans of, those dealers might dislike it. Some dealers may be fellow TSF members or sponsors, so it would need very careful consideration before publication here.

I have recently had some discussions with my business colleagues about ethics. At least three of them are worried that I may publish material which, although accurate, true, and in the public interest, may generate some negative sentiment towards us. While I agree that caution is prudent, I firmly believe that I, and Chards, should continue to act ethically, and should expect fellow dealers, competitors, and customers to do so. I know this is not always the case.

There exists a whistleblower's conundrum. When, if, and how should anyone with relevant knowledge speak out. It might make for a great debate unde its own topic.

When I typed "publishing everything I know", I smiled to myself, and thought that I might not be alive for long enough to do that, even if I started now. 😎

Chards

14 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

:) Do I get a "good guy" discount, if I ask real nice? Thinking about a trip to Blackpool soon...

Both true statements, more people were originally looking to buy smaller amounts; and I have noticed that some dealers do indeed like to be top of the charts. Win - win (for the buyer), if you ask me!

If I get a chance, in the new year, I will look at incorporating bulk discounts.

My laziness! I intend to do a big update once the 2022 bullions coins become available.

Ian has been waiting to buy you fish and chips for a few years now at Harrowside Chippy. I don't often get there in time for lunch, but I would like to meet up too.

I don't suspect you of being lazy, and am aware that there will be lots of other things tugging at your priority lists and time.

That sounds good about "incorporating bulk discounts", but you could make it a lot easier, and say, "if in doubt just buy from Chards in Blackpool". 😎

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

1] Some of the comments I could post here are already published on the Chards website. We have not always named the dealer, but in most cases this could be easily discovered. Where possible I include evidence to support my opinions. 

2] I have recently had some discussions with my business colleagues about ethics. At least three of them are worried that I may publish material which, although accurate, true, and in the public interest, may generate some negative sentiment towards us. While I agree that caution is prudent, I firmly believe that I, and Chards, should continue to act ethically, and should expect fellow dealers, competitors, and customers to do so. I know this is not always the case.

1] Links would be most helpful please, because currently:

2] I'm very sorry to say it, but your ongoing negative competition postings have potentially put me in agreement with your three business colleagues, with the exception for one ostentatious dealers website/s.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

8 minutes ago, TommyTwoShots said:

A fascinating thread here. I think the thing I respect the most from @LawrenceChardis the certainty that what I am buying is legit. I like the fact you are experts at certifying sovereigns. Worth a premium!

Thank you very much for that.

I am not infalible, but it doesn't stop my trying for it.

Chards

43 minutes ago, Coverte said:

1] Links would be most helpful please, because currently:

2] I'm very sorry to say it, but your ongoing negative competition postings have potentially put me in agreement with your three business colleagues, with the exception for one ostentatious dealers website/s.

I am expected, under TSF guidelines, to avoid excessive self-promotion, which I already find quite difficult, although I do add links when and where I can defend the advantage of adding them rather than repeat or copy and past onto TSF. Besides which, pages on our websites get updated and maintained, and are available to a wider public audience.

Which is the "one ostentatious dealers website/s"? 🙂

Chards

• Founder & Administrator
17 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am expected, under TSF guidelines, to avoid excessive self-promotion

Please do 🙂

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 24/10/2021 at 07:42, TommyTwoShots said:

Hi all,

anyone know the best way to pick up a tube of 25 sovereigns? I’m assuming from a dealer? Can you get older sovereigns by the tube? Many thanks

I've bought from Atkinsons, Bairds and Chards in the past. At the moment I find Atkinsons prices the most competitive, plus their free insured next day delivery doesn't hurt.

On 24/10/2021 at 14:25, Pete said:

I used to regularly purchase from HGM when you could find sovereigns at 2% over spot but they have morphed in to a coin shop with higher margins rather than a FIFO bullion dealer where the morning receipts are shipped out in the evening post.

Yes 😭 Happened overnight.

Possibly related to something I heard in there on my last collection a couple of months ago, not long before it all changed.

I didn't quite get all of the conversation but something along the lines of they had appeared on some kind of TV show and the next day website traffic was through the roof and phones ringing off the hook etc.

I used to like ordering bits into free storage and then collecting when in the area to avoid delivery.