• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Love the coin

HATE THE QUALITY

Honestly, how does this happen over and over and over again.

ALSO - CAPSULE OPEN ON DELIVERY.

I would ask anyone else out there if you get something like this please send me the images as I intend to send an email to Anne Jessop and the Head of Customer Services a collection of all these issues for their immediate attention.

PXL_20220209_095801521.thumb.jpg.a2be9ca295e38569c2bfa76ed4b289cb.jpg

Portrait.thumb.png.cdfbc4df622d280f018139ae9f4f7a01.png

InkedPXL_20220209_100026670_LI.thumb.jpg.f98c9b81044a0cd941e63994357242fd.jpg

I am really disappointed for you but from a community point of view I am glad that this is repeatedly happening to someone with a strong social media presence and an outlet for making this public (hope that comes across in the spirit I intend).

We do need people who can make a stink that the RM cannot easily ignore or fob off like they will with individual complaints. Hopefully your videos and letters can make a difference.

Funny though how they can find pf70's for certain dealers but can't even be arsed doing a basic check for the average punter. I really do believe at this point top coins are being cherry picked out and the leftovers sold to us

7 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I am really disappointed for you but from a community point of view I am glad that this is repeatedly happening to someone with a strong social media presence and an outlet for making this public (hope that comes across in the spirit I intend).

We do need people who can make a stink that the RM cannot easily ignore or fob off like they will with individual complaints. Hopefully your videos and letters can make a difference.

Funny though how they can find pf70's for certain dealers but can't even be arsed doing a basic check for the average punter. I really do believe at this point top coins are being cherry picked out and the leftovers sold to us

Fortunately I love a good moan 😜

That said, I would happily take a perfect condition coin instead, hands down, without hesitation!

Does provide me with lots of content for YouTube though!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I saw these quality issues coming.  When the RM is too busy churning out new releases, they don't have the time to do proper quality control.  It will continue to be this way until the new releases slow down.

3 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Yeah, not gonna lie it has very much done this. 

Also, now I am back to the RM lottery for replacement. 

Will I get a replacement? Will the replacement be just as bad? 

If no replacement then I am left with half a set....

So much for continuity....

I think the fact people might have trouble getting the set, probably makes this worse than normal.

A single coin, its bad enough. But when you have one half, and might not be able to get the second due to quality issues, its a different level.

What a **** up

There are also quality control issues at the U.S. Mint, but not quite as bad as this.  With the RM, one of the problems is with the capsule coming lose.  With the U.S. Mint, a problem that I always have is that the capsule is packed so tightly in the case that you cannot remove it.  I've often had to use a small screwdriver and you can imagine the problems that could cause.  There were a lot of QC issues with the Morgan and Peace dollars, a hugely popular release last year.  The release of those coins created a huge fiasco.

Another comfort that I get buying from the dealers rather than the RM is that they (supposedly) do a QC check on the coins before sending them to you.  I have never had an issue with a coin received from a dealer.

3 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Another comfort that I get buying from the dealers rather than the RM is that they (supposedly) do a QC check on the coins before sending them to you.  I have never had an issue with a coin received from a dealer.

Good job the dealers sell at RRP

1 hour ago, NewCoins said:

Good job the dealers sell at RRP

When you suffer through the stress, headaches, and indignities of dealing with the RM queues, only to come up empty handed, sometimes you have no choice but to buy from a dealer.  It's more expensive, but much less of a hassle.

In addition, since I am 6 hours behind London time, I would need to enter the queue before 3:00 a.m. U.S. Central time for a 9:00 a.m. queue start.  Not going to happen too often.  I did it for the proof sovereign, only to have the RM send me an e-mail that stated I'd have to wait over 2 months for shipment (plus another month to get here).

Edited by JeffM

5 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Love the coin

HATE THE QUALITY

Honestly, how does this happen over and over and over again.

ALSO - CAPSULE OPEN ON DELIVERY.

I would ask anyone else out there if you get something like this please send me the images as I intend to send an email to Anne Jessop and the Head of Customer Services a collection of all these issues for their immediate attention.

PXL_20220209_095801521.thumb.jpg.a2be9ca295e38569c2bfa76ed4b289cb.jpg

Portrait.thumb.png.cdfbc4df622d280f018139ae9f4f7a01.png

InkedPXL_20220209_100026670_LI.thumb.jpg.f98c9b81044a0cd941e63994357242fd.jpg

mine has very slight mark on the braid.. otherwise ok

A bit random and my attempt at sounding like I know what am talking about. which I have to try and do more as I am now a mentor of the forum 😂

but after looking my as this coin, I think the gillick of the queen would of been a Better choice 

after all a young Vicky is being used so why not marg 

“apologies if already mentioned” 

Edited by magpie79

1 minute ago, DdraigAur said:

Ahhh, frustrating. The gothic portrait reverse is beautiful and virtually flawless (missing bit of frosting on the D of F:D).

But the Queen’s chin! How could any QC person not see that flaw?

0A37C7E0-8332-4FE9-A38E-7F1BCC906323.jpeg

994A0AAB-F690-4FE8-AFC6-AACBF28E7308.jpeg

D0C5FECF-E1B7-402E-A311-BA399E7D7799.jpeg

34C25F2D-11DD-4508-8E0F-A4FA4DC7CDE4.jpeg

I have similar chin-error....are you sending it back? I'm still undecided....urgh.....

1 minute ago, papi1980 said:

I have similar chin-error....are you sending it back? I'm still undecided....urgh.....

I feel the same. The important side is fantastic but the chin is so egregious. When the flaw is more obscured I can accept it. I’m leaning towards a return right now. I’ll email customer services and see what they say. 

18 minutes ago, DdraigAur said:

Ahhh, frustrating. The gothic portrait reverse is beautiful and virtually flawless (missing bit of frosting on the D of F:D).

But the Queen’s chin! How could any QC person not see that flaw?

0A37C7E0-8332-4FE9-A38E-7F1BCC906323.jpeg

994A0AAB-F690-4FE8-AFC6-AACBF28E7308.jpeg

D0C5FECF-E1B7-402E-A311-BA399E7D7799.jpeg

34C25F2D-11DD-4508-8E0F-A4FA4DC7CDE4.jpeg

Does not look good.  The RM is simply dispatching anything and everything.  QC went out the window. 

3 hours ago, JeffM said:

When you suffer through the stress, headaches, and indignities of dealing with the RM queues, only to come up empty handed, sometimes you have no choice but to buy from a dealer.  It's more expensive, but much less of a hassle.

In addition, since I am 6 hours behind London time, I would need to enter the queue before 3:00 a.m. U.S. Central time for a 9:00 a.m. queue start.  Not going to happen too often.  I did it for the proof sovereign, only to have the RM send me an e-mail that stated I'd have to wait over 2 months for shipment (plus another month to get here).

It looks like RM are moving into the USA market  with the Heritage Auction tie up - I wonder if they will offer non pregarded coins there..

So it might get easier in the future. Not sure Heritage is the right partner though. 

50 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

I can’t belive after the fiasco of the 2022 proof sovereigns arriving with open capsules that it’s still happening. 😕

Is a sealed for life capsule a possibility? as we are not supposed to handle too much anyway?

It's the same story time and time again unfortunately...we all get hyped up with a new release....in the days running up to the Monday morning 9am queue fiasco we are chatting away on the forum with excitement, queue, either lucky or not to be 2000th in the queue at 9.01am....

We receive the coins and....they are damaged dents,marks or spotting, loose capsuals damaged box"s...and then get frustrated..moan..and take out our frustration with the QC with the RM...send them back,albeit not all of us as some do come through ok. 

Then we do it all again on the next release.....I guess the question is simple....WHY!!!!!! 🙂🤣

25 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

It's the same story time and time again unfortunately...we all get hyped up with a new release....in the days running up to the Monday morning 9am queue fiasco we are chatting away on the forum with excitement, queue, either lucky or not to be 2000th in the queue at 9.01am....

We receive the coins and....they are damaged dents,marks or spotting, loose capsuals damaged box"s...and then get frustrated..moan..and take out our frustration with the QC with the RM...send them back,albeit not all of us as some do come through ok. 

Then we do it all again on the next release.....I guess the question is simple....WHY!!!!!! 🙂🤣

It would be good to know how many people got this coin on the forum (possibly 3 or 4 hundred?) and how many had significant issues. Folks complain when they get terrible, some folks showcase if they are really pleased. The majority I suspect add to the collection with no comment and set their sights on the next target. 
Having said all the above, not received mine yet so may well get another disgruntled post!!

Edited by Stu

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

7 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

For the quality issues, I think it's one (or both) of two things:

1. Gold coins getting gentler treatment, more time to pack and generally better QA. Also delivered by DHL/UPS due to value, which appear to have gentler hands

2. Silver coins - many more to ship of lower value, undoubtedly a different team. Less time to pack, less QA and delivered mostly by Royal Mail. Some areas have postmen that juggle parcels etc..

Just my assumption, also the reason I stay away from silver proofs, as just not worth the time it takes to get perfect coins and then having to worry about milk spots over the years.

I think you are correct in what you say!

Other than this series, I no longer buy silver proof coins. As I had no chance (like most) of purchasing the gold at retail price from the mint, I am prepared to take a chance with these in silver. 

Received my 2 ounce silver today, and it seems good to me. Think I have been lucky compared to some!

Your two gold coins look great, congratulations!   

8 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

My set is complete! To say I'm very, very happy is an understantment 😂

Few bits of dust on the capsules I've not cleaned off yet, though the coins are perfect.

IMG_20220209_104841.jpg

IMG_20220209_104400.jpg

Beautiful coin