• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

I had a £5 matte BU 2022 memorial sovereign in hand yesterday............Hum not blown away don't get me wrong they are nice but they are too much in terms of design and frosting, and some of the design is lost IMO.     I do think the £5 proof sovereign will look good.  I'll do some side by side pictures once they are delivered.    

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

22 hours ago, James32 said:

From memory, I believe the odd piece of missing frosting is overlooked "manufacturing flaw"  especially if only noticed by magnification. 

My SOTD proof had a very noticeable with bare eyes ( bullet hole) in the queen's temple area, I offered it up on here at rrp before returning. The person that took it sent for grading and it received a PF70 😆 

@SiCole this you?

Thanks James, I'm really sceptical about it, simply because it is visible but only in a tiny amount. As Dave said the other week, only 70's are acceptable in today's market, so I want to avoid anything that jeopardises my chances. Keen to hear if anyone else has any experience or views. 

4 minutes ago, BiigT said:

Thanks James, I'm really sceptical about it, simply because it is visible but only in a tiny amount. As Dave said the other week, only 70's are acceptable in today's market, so I want to avoid anything that jeopardises my chances. Keen to hear if anyone else has any experience or views. 

You have every right to return, you have paid enough premium to deserve a great coin. If your heart isn't in it now,it will never be in it unfortunately. Even though my coin got a 70, I still would never have Kept it, once seen it can't be unseen. And every time the coin comes out to look at,you will subconsciously then consciously focus on the flawed area.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

25 minutes ago, James32 said:

You have every right to return, you have paid enough premium to deserve a great coin. If your heart isn't in it now,it will never be in it unfortunately. Even though my coin got a 70, I still would never have Kept it, once seen it can't be unseen. And every time the coin comes out to look at,you will subconsciously then consciously focus on the flawed area.

I would normally agree, but it's probably 4 or 5 miniscule marks that glint in the right light. I can't even manage to get a photo under higher magnification, which is why I'm wondering whether they are OK with frosting not affecting harding ie there are no marks or chunks missing that are causing the glints. 

1 minute ago, BiigT said:

I would normally agree, but it's probably 4 or 5 miniscule marks that glint in the right light. I can't even manage to get a photo under higher magnification, which is why I'm wondering whether they are OK with frosting not affecting harding ie there are no marks or chunks missing that are causing the glints. 

Mine had an obvious hole to the naked eye at arms length 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

18 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I had a £5 matte BU 2022 memorial sovereign in hand yesterday............Hum not blown away don't get me wrong they are nice but they are too much in terms of design and frosting, and some of the design is lost IMO.     I do think the £5 proof sovereign will look good.  I'll do some side by side pictures once they are delivered.    

I look forward to your comparison pics Dave.

I’ve been notified that my quintuple matte BU is on its way to me as well. Strange considering we were recently led to believe it would be despatched in March, but maybe it’s because I ordered mine through Mark Osborne (uk gold coins) after the RM website wouldn’t let me proceed to checkout on release date. 

FYI @Stuntman

5 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

I’ve been notified that my quintuple matte BU is on its way to me as well. Strange considering we were recently led to believe it would be despatched in March, but maybe it’s because I ordered mine through Mark Osborne (uk gold coins) after the RM website wouldn’t let me proceed to checkout on release date. 

FYI @Stuntman

I did a little video of the full half and quarter yesterday if you have not seen these already, mate the RM checkout is a nightmare......on the day of launch it took payment for 2 orders but did not order anything it took RM customer service over 4 weeks to even respond to me......   

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

I returned 10 graded PCGS PR69 gold coins to PCGS from restoration and regrade, these coins are modern 50p and £2, after restoration 5 remained at 69 but 5 now had that magic PR70.

I would recommend all modern Royal Mint coins submitted for grading include Restoration.

On 17/01/2023 at 11:24, BiigT said:

I've received my single sov and generally speaking, I'm a big fan of the design.

Quick question re frosting - I can see a number of very small areas at 5x magnification where the frosting is missing. Would this affect Grading? 

I've previously discussed quality management with the RM at length and the fact their own process (ie arms length examination) is not fit for purpose for proof coins. They accepted my argument and I had to exchange several older sets until I was happy, but I can't recall if tiny areas of missing frosting are likely to lower the Grading of a coin, or whether it goes off scratches and surface marks (for which there appear to be none) 

You can see a similar thing in the photo I posted for the memorial half, I'm new to proof coins so no idea if this is a common thing. No scratches on the coin though.

18 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

FYI @Stuntman

Cheers @GoodAsGold.  I ordered mine from the RM and haven't had any notification from them so far saying my coin's on its way.

Look forward to seeing yours and Dave's pics, probably some while before posting my own!

3 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I had a call with the mint earlier, they've posted my Piedfort out today and said the 5-coin set would be another few weeks.

Thank you sir ! I've never bothered chasing  things.up directly with the to find out. Hopefully the five will be ace worth the wait