• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

7 hours ago, MickB said:

Nice to know they're being sent out although I'll probably regret buying just a half instead of a full, it was the price that stopped me going for the full at the time.

Should get mine tomorrow.

I think there might be a few with regrets. You did well..... pics when it turns up and we'll all ogle it lol

THis is what I have been told about when stock will be available, although it doesn't guarantee delivery. Notice some are available in batches. Some clearly have been sent out already!

5 coin set  3/2/23 and 24/2/23

4 coin set  3/2/23 and 17/2/23

3 coin set  27/1/23

Full sovereign  3/2/23

Half sovereign  17/2/23

All in all, a right poor do, and I have expressed my feelings accordingly😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

21 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

This is what I have been told about when stock will be available, although it doesn't guarantee delivery. Notice some are available in batches. Some clearly have been sent out already!

5 coin set  3/2/23 and 24/2/23

4 coin set  3/2/23 and 17/2/23

3 coin set  27/1/23

Full sovereign  3/2/23

Half sovereign  17/2/23

All in all, a right poor do, and I have expressed my feelings accordingly😁

Outrageous. What a load of complete and utter c**p from the mint😠

Also, goodbye first release NGC labels! A kick in the teeth to loyal collectors - I hope they get on the phone to NGC to sort this out!

All Proofs are not the same quality though - some proofs are rubbish some are 70's. Its reflected in the selling price. 

If you're buying the Ferrari 5 Sov, you may as well get the extras, because collectors pay more for those. Except here the Mint wont let collectors have that choice. 

For example, given a choice anyone would pick up a coin with a pedigree label over a standard label in the same grade. 

Edited by harrygill111

The smallest coin in my collection. The quarter oz Memorial Sovereign! Imperfections were not visible to the naked eye. The craters on the King's portrait and dings on the unicorn figure are seen at above 5x magnification.  Don't think there will be any point in returning coin to Royal Mint for an exchange. Or should I? 

IMG_20230112_150845_edit_22997898982947.jpg

IMG_20230112_151027.jpg

14 minutes ago, Hanz said:

The smallest coin in my collection. The quarter oz Memorial Sovereign! Imperfections were not visible to the naked eye. The craters on the King's portrait and dings on the unicorn figure are seen at above 5x magnification.  Don't think there will be any point in returning coin to Royal Mint for an exchange. Or should I? 

IMG_20230112_151027.jpg

I really don't think you'll need to return. At such a small coin that looks perfect by eye and great under 5x then you're golden I'd say. Are you going to grade it anyway? If you look for imperfections then you will find them regardless. Especially if you go past 5x. 

1 hour ago, Hanz said:

IMG_20230112_151027.jpg

That looks pretty rough but I guess the quarter was always going to be a problem coin here, such an intricate design was surely never going to work on such a tiny coin.

Still, I imagine that unblemished ones that achieve top grading will possibly be quite rare.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Not trying to rub any salt into anyone’s wounds… but honestly… what does FIRST RELEASE have to do with anything?

All Proof coins, whether struck first or last, are meant to be the same quality; and there is no guarantee a “first release” (a very random contrivance by the grading companies!) is any different from a later release.

This is another reason I’m not into grading. Third party companies creating a business model for a need that they’ve fabricated - and cashing in at the expense of collectors. It makes no sense to me at all.

I can see a need for third party companies (i.e., besides the official Mints) to provide an authentication service for verifying coins as genuine, because fakes exist; but anything beyond that is a classic case of “creating a market”.

I think both of you make good points, I think that the grading obsession is hurting the collectors because the difference financially between a 69 and a 70 seems totally out of proportion to the difference in quality. It seems like if you get a 69 you may as well break out the dremel and pretend it was never graded if you actually want to sell it.

The first release is nonsense but yeah it does mean something because collectors have allowed it to be so, to that end the mint are letting down buyers. On the flipside though if nobody qualifies for it with the big coins then it doesn't matter

2 hours ago, harrygill111 said:

All Proofs are not the same quality though - some proofs are rubbish some are 70's. Its reflected in the selling price. 

If you're buying the Ferrari 5 Sov, you may as well get the extras, because collectors pay more for those. Except here the Mint wont let collectors have that choice. 

For example, given a choice anyone would pick up a coin with a pedigree label over a standard label in the same grade. 

Indeed. But a FIRST RELEASE label does not guarantee a particular grade in any case, so I don’t get the point of it.

I could scratch my coin and send it within the timeframe for a first release label, and it could get a FIRST RELEASE DETAILS grade, right?

What would be the value of such a coin?

Edited by westminstrel

2 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I think both of you make good points, I think that the grading obsession is hurting the collectors because the difference financially between a 69 and a 70 seems totally out of proportion to the difference in quality. It seems like if you get a 69 you may as well break out the dremel and pretend it was never graded if you actually want to sell it.

The first release is nonsense but yeah it does mean something because collectors have allowed it to be so, to that end the mint are letting down buyers. On the flipside though if nobody qualifies for it with the big coins then it doesn't matter

That’s another of my (personal) contentions with grading - the difference between 69 and 70 is so small as to be almost entirely subjective.

It’s worse with the “first release” timeframe. It is entirely an arbitrary period - the grading companies could make it 1 month or 6.5 weeks or 71 days - and it has nothing to do with the minting process or the quality or really anything at all.

I’m not begrudging collectors who go after this. To each their own.

But IMO something like a first release label adds nothing to numismatics.

Just now, westminstrel said:

That’s another of my (personal) contentions with grading - the difference between 69 and 70 is so small as to be almost entirely subjective.

It’s worse with the “first release” timeframe. It is entirely an arbitrary period - the grading companies could make it 1 month or 6.5 weeks or 71 days - and it has nothing to do with the minting process or the quality or really anything at all.

On the other hand, if you wanted to buy a graded coin and two were available with exactly the same grade and same price, which would you pick if one had a normal label and one had the first release label?

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

I assume "first release" came after so many coins were getting 70s? Possibly to create a further inflated target I guess.

Next up could be..

First posted to NGC PF70

Or really put a spin on things **PF71 SUP**

Super ultra cameo.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

54 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I just like the blue  first release label, this time I will be getting most of mine with the KCIII label.     Totally agree with the 69-70 it’s so slight if any,  the value difference is crazy for modern coins it’s 70 or nothing. 

39 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

On the other hand, if you wanted to buy a graded coin and two were available with exactly the same grade and same price, which would you pick if one had a normal label and one had the first release label?

I don’t go in for graded coins, but hypothetically, to answer your question, I’d pick the normal label.

As I said, in my opinion, the First Release label has nothing to do with numismatics, and is a gimmick which I wouldn’t want associated with my coin.

I realize some may feel it adds value or prestige to the coin, but I have a contrary view - I think it cheapens it.

46 minutes ago, James32 said:

I assume "first release" came after so many coins were getting 70s? Possibly to create a further inflated target I guess.

Next up could be..

First posted to NGC PF70

Or really put a spin on things **PF71 SUP**

Super ultra cameo.

The subcontext being PFFT ‘SUP-SUCKAS 😆

Edited by westminstrel