• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

I don’t believe I’m saying this but my interest in the 3 Graces is starting to wane as we continue to wait for the RM releases. After several versions of gold Una by the likes of the RM, Alderney, St Helena, Hattons of London and anyone else I’ve missed, it just seems to me that there’s too many parties getting involved in the Great Engravers series.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good for collectors who want to secure any affordable gold or silver version, but maybe the RM issue of 200(ish) 2oz gold Unas alone would have created fantastic rarity which has already been diluted by lesser versions. 

The Graces do look stunning but in recent years some of the very first coin releases in a series achieve greater popularity than the rest of the series. The 2016 Lion of England in the QB bullion series and the 2016 silver proof Peter Rabbit in the Beatrix Potter series being prime examples. Admittedly you can’t compare the Graces to a rabbit, but I can’t compare them to Una and the Lion either. 

I’m not saying I won’t be trying to get involved in the buying frenzy, but maybe (just maybe) there’s too much hype for this follow up to the Una release?   

28 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

I don’t believe I’m saying this but my interest in the 3 Graces is starting to wane as we continue to wait for the RM releases. After several versions of gold Una by the likes of the RM, Alderney, St Helena, Hattons of London and anyone else I’ve missed, it just seems to me that there’s too many parties getting involved in the Great Engravers series.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good for collectors who want to secure any affordable gold or silver version, but maybe the RM issue of 200(ish) 2oz gold Unas alone would have created fantastic rarity which has already been diluted by lesser versions. 

The Graces do look stunning but in recent years some of the very first coin releases in a series achieve greater popularity than the rest of the series. The 2016 Lion of England in the QB bullion series and the 2016 silver proof Peter Rabbit in the Beatrix Potter series being prime examples. Admittedly you can’t compare the Graces to a rabbit, but I can’t compare them to Una and the Lion either. 

I’m not saying I won’t be trying to get involved in the buying frenzy, but maybe (just maybe) there’s too much hype for this follow up to the Una release?   

Yes! I know exactly what you mean. 
It is starting to feel like there is almost too much hype behind the Graces. It’s like waiting to meet your favorite celebrity and when you finally do, they turn out to be a bit of a flop. 
If not released on Monday... even worse if a dinosaur coin is released... what happens at that point? There is only so much time and effort one can devote towards this.

I’m sure the RM release will be beautiful and all that jazz, but talk about dragging your feet. I do think the Alderney release, at ridiculous pricing for the gold, has left a bitter taste in the mouths of many. At the end of the day, it’s Alderney..... I couldn’t point it out on a map if my life depended on it!
As much as everyone is hoping, it is definitely no Una. The value of the Graces will skyrocket right off the bat, but... it’s still not an Una. 

I’m glad you see my point @SovCollector.  Everyone knows that the Graces are going to be a huge hit due to very high demand, but once they’re all sold and the dust settles I think some owners might reflect on the exorbitant amount they’ve paid for their coin and wonder was it worth it getting caught up in the hype when the time comes to sell. The raw RM gold and silver releases should represent good value, along with the first 100 silver BCC ones (£499), but I’m not so sure about the rest at the prices some companies ask. They want big profits instantly so maybe it could be more prudent to ignore the pre-graded 70’s hype and just buy the coin not the slab? 

It's not going to be like the Una, that's for sure, but it'll still be worth getting your hands on one if you're into short term flipping/like the coin/want to complete the set. 

I can tell I've thought about it too much over the past few weeks as my mind has been wondering what the third coin in the series will be 😀

They've still got to release the proof Britannia's and probably a few other coins that they regularly release, but it must be coming soon.

27 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

I’m glad you see my point @SovCollector.  Everyone knows that the Graces are going to be a huge hit due to very high demand, but once they’re all sold and the dust settles I think some owners might reflect on the exorbitant amount they’ve paid for their coin and wonder was it worth it getting caught up in the hype when the time comes to sell. The raw RM gold and silver releases should represent good value, along with the first 100 silver BCC ones (£499), but I’m not so sure about the rest at the prices some companies ask. They want big profits instantly so maybe it could be more prudent to ignore the pre-graded 70’s hype and just buy the coin not the slab? 

I agree. Buying raw from the Royal Mint is a fantastic investment. There are more denominations being released for the Graces in comparison to the Una. How will that effect future pricing, who knows. I do think a large part will come down to mintage. 
To this day, there is still only 5 2oz gold Una’s graded by PCGS as PR70 Deep Cameo. They also VERY rarely hit the market. That will keep the price up for years to come and I wouldn’t be shocked if that coin one day hit £100k in the near future. There are some people who have crazy money out there and £100k is a drop in the ocean to them.

If the gold Graces get squirreled away also, they should hold their value nicely... but I do think there is going to be mad flipping for the first couple of weeks. A lot of money is going to start flying around!
Is it too late to still get a loan out?!

38 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

If the gold Graces get squirreled away also, they should hold their value nicely... but I do think there is going to be mad flipping for the first couple of weeks. A lot of money is going to start flying around!

Yep, it's going to be mad. I think it has good long term prospects but more in the gold 2oz music legends rather than Una. Question will be how much some people will pay as a pre-sale on ebay! 

I expect dealers to be feeling out potential demand in the far east. If they start buying at £10,000-15,000 over issue price then you've got a winner.

3 hours ago, BrumChris said:

I expect dealers to be feeling out potential demand in the far east. If they start buying at £10,000-15,000 over issue price then you've got a winner.

My gut feeling says the 2oz gold will be posted on eBay for no less than £20k... and at that price, I could see people buying it. 
Personally, that is WAY too much risk. If something were to go wrong with the transaction, I don’t think it’s covered by PayPal/eBay Money Back Guarantees.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Not quite the same appeal, not by a long shot.

More like “woman and a lion”. 😏

Is the woman Una Stubbs....?

I'll get my coat..... Taxi!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

5 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Una and the lion are facing the sun and have a strong wind behind them. 

It's Una Stubbs she's been on the diet of beans and sprouts again....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454