• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

Silver PF70 up for grabs at Heritage Auctions in the USA. Absolutely standard with no special label or first release designation.

Current bid is $6500 with buyers premium that makes $7800 which is about £5700. Finishes on Friday.

Looks like there is still strong money around for that magic 70 grade.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-silver-proof-una-and-the-lion-5-pounds-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3089-32942.s?type=wantlistid-1239535!creatorid-cewl!linkclicked-lotlink!emailid-01122021-125948.259PM-3738162-1239535!itemid-3089_87023!wlem

27 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Silver PF70 up for grabs at Heritage Auctions in the USA. Absolutely standard with no special label or first release designation.

Current bid is $6500 with buyers premium that makes $7800 which is about £5700. Finishes on Friday.

Looks like there is still strong money around for that magic 70 grade.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-silver-proof-una-and-the-lion-5-pounds-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3089-32942.s?type=wantlistid-1239535!creatorid-cewl!linkclicked-lotlink!emailid-01122021-125948.259PM-3738162-1239535!itemid-3089_87023!wlem

This coin hit the collector sweet spot, it will just continue to go up and be considered an investment. I'm kinda sorry I sold mine too early. 

9 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

This coin hit the collector sweet spot, it will just continue to go up and be considered an investment. I'm kinda sorry I sold mine too early. 

I'm not a 100% sure how the price will fair long term but looking at the population reports I wouldn't say a PR70 is a rarity, unlike older coins that grade top of their population reports and there's only a couple of known examples of them.

Also what's to stop the Royal Mint producing another re-strike of the coin? They are a money making commercial organisation after all.

Spending £6k on one might be a bargain in 10 years time but you can get plenty of other decent coins for that amount of money with a longer price history.

I see some of the coins have been graded PF64, I wonder what happened there 😅

If tne Alderney silver is £999 for a pre graded 70, christ only knows what the RM pre graded ones are ! Hope everyone has got a grand or many sitting around on their ccs or bank accounts. Alderney has set the benchmark. Expect the RM to react with mad prices.

Edited by Oldun

😆

Ramped up to maximum advertising....job done ! Let the algorythms maximise profit. The perfect weekend storm of hyped up modern collecting........All systems gooooooo! Dealers and bloggers/youtubers will be making serious coin on this without even buying anything let alone the actual dealers and RM ! Let er rip. Opportunist capitalism at itsfinest. The winners will gloat, the losers will have exactly the same amount of money as they had at the start. Everybody wins ! Lol.

Alderney dealers must be pissing themselves laughing at the profit they will make selling coins this week.

Edited by Oldun

21 minutes ago, Oldun said:

😆

Ramped up to maximum advertising....job done ! Let the algorythms maximise profit. The perfect weekend storm of hyped up modern collecting........All systems gooooooo! Dealers and bloggers/youtubers will be making serious coin on this without even buying anything let alone the actual dealers and RM ! Let er rip. Opportunist capitalism at itsfinest. The winners will gloat, the losers will have exactly the same amount of money as they had at the start. Everybody wins ! Lol.

Alderney dealers must be pissing themselves laughing at the profit they will make selling coins this week.

Accurately and succinctly summarised 👍 
And meanwhile...the canny collector will be able to bag some lovely coins that go unnoticed and at perhaps, suppressed prices, whilst people hang on to their hard earned with great expectations 😉

Edited by richatthecroft

4 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Accurately and succinctly summarised 👍 
And meanwhile...the canny collector will be able to bag some lovely coins that go unnoticed and at perhaps, suppressed prices, whilst people hang on to their hard earned with great expectations 😉

I've a feeling this could end up being a damp squib in the end.

Una fell under the radar and was unexpected with its returns it has made. 

If the too many people are looking to profit from this from issuing mints with higher issue numbers, dealers with higher than expected RRPs, pregardes added into the mix, and flippers just looking to make a buck.

It has a 'chance' of just all not working in the end

I could eat my words, and it be ready for a t-shirt this time next year but ill stick my neck out.  

Who knows :( 

£1,000+ (gawd knows what the RM etc will do with their prices now Alderney has blown its wad) for a silver PF coin will no doubt look like a bargain once the Fed, the EU, and other govs pump helicopter money in over the coming year due to covid....you get a car, you get a car.....the price of everything and the value of nothing. Even this website must be loving it ! Betcha the posting numbers went up a bit compared to recent weeks after they kicked a popular member out....

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thesilverforum.com#section_traffic

Edited by Oldun

A cheap precedent was the Beatrix Potter series. The first 2016 was the bomb...the rest, not so...we shall see. Massive massive interest worldwide in the engravers series so fill yer boots...yeeeehaaaar

Edited by Oldun

14 minutes ago, Oldun said:

A cheap precedent was the Beatrix Potter series. The first 2016 was the bomb...the rest, not so...we shall see. Massive massive interest worldwide in the engravers series so fill yer boots...yeeeehaaaar

Not sure if I am more scared of the fact that this young man has a gun or bass guitar in his background. Regardless, I learned something new today. 

Agreed on points re mintage. Hoping for 18K+ as a minimum as per the Winne the Pooh coins.

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Not sure if I am more scared of the fact that this young man has a gun or bass guitar in his background. Regardless, I learned something new today. 

Agreed on points re mintage. Hoping for 18K+ as a minimum as per the Winne the Pooh coins.

😆

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

If tne Alderney silver is £999 for a pre graded 70, christ only knows what the RM pre graded ones are ! Hope everyone has got a grand or many sitting around on their ccs or bank accounts. Alderney has set the benchmark. Expect the RM to react with mad prices.

Goodness me I hope this is not the case. It could be Monday!!

Are you sure the RM will be selling them graded? 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I've a feeling this could end up being a damp squib in the end.

Una fell under the radar and was unexpected with its returns it has made. 

If the too many people are looking to profit from this from issuing mints with higher issue numbers, dealers with higher than expected RRPs, pregardes added into the mix, and flippers just looking to make a buck.

It has a 'chance' of just all not working in the end

I could eat my words, and it be ready for a t-shirt this time next year but ill stick my neck out.  

Who knows :( 

All of those factors could make a RM 'original' version more sought after due to the prestige, who knows. 

Would it stop you going in for one?

I have no proof to suggest that the RM will be selling graded coins but they do have the set up to do so from their own announcement last year. I guess all will be revealed come release day.... but Alderney related dealers have certainly taken the opportunity to massively ramp up the graded price of their versions of the coin and have set an inflated issue precedence.

Edited by Oldun

5 hours ago, Oldun said:

Spoken like a true lover of coins not an opportunist. No one needs to buy the coin. You can enjoy the design without spending a penny. The modern disease of coin collecting is sheer greed.

I hope the RM absolutely ramp mintage through the roof !

I just started a slabbed collection and for years the price has been pretty much the same, not a profit hound but a collection for my grandson, id not say everything is greed, collectors want exclusive or rare but know their money probably won't come back with 50% profit on its tail in a years time.

I can never work out the RM strategy when it comes to mintages. You would think if they know a coin is going to be very popular they would ramp up the mintage and make more money from sales rather than having a very low mintage where flippers get hold of them and make the profit.

Will be interesting to see if they decide to sell the 3G graded. The gold £5 they recently sold NGC 70 grade had a 10% ( ish ) premium compared to the raw coin which for me is more than enough. 

Edited by Fivepoundfred