• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

On 09/11/2023 at 20:03, AaaGee said:

Got a double Jubilee and its literally my favourite coin (although the young Vic i got recently is a close 2nd) and would like another. Also easier to see with my ageing eyes 🤓

One of the reasons I took to photography right there.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Is there a following for these coins on here? They look great.

There are a few people who collect them here on TSF, I think.  LMU coins (and world gold in general) are a big old rabbit hole - there were dozens of polities making them at one point or another.  Some are quite rare and expensive.  Some, like the Vrenellis or Roosters, are pretty common and often have lower premiums than sovs.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

35 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Is there a following for these coins on here? They look great.

I think that's partially down to his fantastic photographic skills. I've posted some before and they look unfortunate (and that is an understatement).

1 minute ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I think that's partially down to his fantastic photographic skills. I've posted some before and they look unfortunate (and that is an understatement).

I think it's actually easier than it looks.  It took a bit of faff to work out how to light the coins (and TBH I think there's still room for improvement on that count) but once I had a few lighting schemes worked out it becomes pretty formulaic - just tweak the position of the lights until you get the right reflections or right highlights of the anisotropic reflection on the finish.  It wasn't hard to get this far, and now I'm really just incrementally improving as I find issues or think of ways to light the coins that might work.  

You can get more sophisticated with stacked shots.  A lot of @Charliemouse's pictures do this, and I've done a few like that.  At the moment I have an issue with getting Photoshop to inherit the right colour balance, so I don't do a lot of that kind of stacking.  There's another stacking app called Helion that I will try out at some point, but that's for another day.

What really made the difference was moving off my phone (which had a kinda c**p camera) and getting a camera with a macro lens.  This made it much easier to properly light the pictures as the phone itself used to get in the way of many lighting options, and (along with other limitations of the camera) was becoming a major issue. On the other hand, a phone with a better camera ('periscope' cameras) can produce decent pics quite easily - @Solachesis used to get some pretty good results with his phone.

2 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

There are a few people who collect them here on TSF, I think.  LMU coins (and world gold in general) are a big old rabbit hole - there were dozens of polities making them at one point or another.  Some are quite rare and expensive.  Some, like the Vrenellis or Roosters, are pretty common and often have lower premiums than sovs.

Thanks Is there a following for these coins on here? They look great.

12 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Thanks Is there a following for these coins on here? They look great.

Not sure exactly who's into them, but you could put up a question on the Gold forum perhaps.

This is an article off Reddit that discusses the various outfits that produced coinage to LMU spec.  There's also a sub reddit about them.  There are some other resources on the interwebs, but nothing like a comprehensive book on the subject like Marsh's sovereign book.

Edited by Silverlocks

17 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I feel this could be a coin swap.  Let's see if any other Griffin's all of a sudden get graded much higher.

Such a shame for PCGS and loss for you. Feel really sorry for you. If it was coin swap I don't think another coin would appear anytime soon. Grader who did swap just took good coin for his collection. Grading it right now could just expose him. If its not swap then grader accidentally or intentionally damaged the coin. Such a shame it is impossible to proof that you sent perfect coin and recover losses. 

Btw, what capsule that coin had originally? I just took a look at coin image on pcgs and I saw such sort of scratches before. They obviously not appeared from wiping with a cloth. Once I got a proof lunar with opened capsule and it had similar scratches. Coin was sent with closed capsule, but during shipping capsule opened from vibration and coin fall from it inside the box.

Edited by FabulousLunar

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

My first Mexican coin, received today from @Chrispringle85.  I do not think it will be my last. 

Been wanting a Viente Peso for quite a while and I am as pleased as punch with this one, had not really intended to get a graded one but pleased I did

1921-11VientePesoF.thumb.JPG.6aac2586ab06839fc4f016b143b50041.JPG 1921-11VientePesoR.thumb.JPG.088f2782a5a39214a5f442993c592abe.JPG

Glad it arrived safely mate. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have 😍

12 hours ago, SiCole said:

Nice new double memorial in blister. Even in double there’s a heck of a lot going on and been a bit spoilt with the proof ones so won’t be going silly getting loads like I did the jubilee.

IMG_3846.thumb.jpeg.a53a23f23b9bf681bc857bb94e46c8fb.jpeg

IMG_3848.thumb.jpeg.cdd8bffed8d52d0d5e3f34d150305233.jpeg

IMG_3847.thumb.jpeg.d94a70cddc1122af06bedaa2f6522769.jpeg

Not going silly with them? The bottom picture suggests otherwise. 

I need some of them...

14 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

Another fat proof sovereign arrived. These 2018 sapphire jubilee piedfort's are unloved and can usually be picked up below issue price 5 years later but for me it'll make a nice addition to my NGC registry plus it's just under 1/2 oz of gold. It'll need @GoldDiggerDave's spit and polish to brighten it up before its journey to NGC.

2018_pied1.PNG

2018_pied2.PNG

2018_pied3.PNG

2018_pied4.PNG

Looks pretty sparkly to me! I'd be interested to see what Dave can do with it and the grading it gets.

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

1 hour ago, JohnV66 said:

Another fat proof sovereign arrived. These 2018 sapphire jubilee piedfort's are unloved and can usually be picked up below issue price 5 years later but for me it'll make a nice addition to my NGC registry plus it's just under 1/2 oz of gold. It'll need @GoldDiggerDave's spit and polish to brighten it up before its journey to NGC.

2018_pied1.PNG

2018_pied2.PNG

2018_pied3.PNG

2018_pied4.PNG

Popping!! 🤩