• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 “Royal Arms” Sovereign

Excited! 

While a traditional design would have been great, this is the first Charles Sovereign and a key oppertunity for a proper special design, rather than a privy. Plenty of time for the traditional Pistrucci design. 

Last year they released on 17 November, I wonder if this year will be delayed? 

Edited by harrygill111

12 minutes ago, harrygill111 said:

Excited! 

While a traditional design would have been great, this is the first Charles Sovereign and a key oppertunity for a proper special design, rather than a privy. Plenty of time for the traditional Pistrucci design. 

Last year they release on 17 November, I wonder if this year will be delayed? 

It could take a while to get a nice depiction of the Coat of Arms done. I expect they’ll want it to look slightly different, stylistically, from the 2022 design.

I wonder who the designer will be.

I do like John Bergdahl’s work on such heraldic pieces. 

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Can I just take this moment to once again thank @westminstrel for their illustrious info-digging and insights from the other side of the world! You really do seem to have your finger on the pulse on these sorts of things.

Yes well done and thanks 

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

DESIGN OF THE COINS

6. The design of the said five pound, two pound, sovereign, half-sovereign and quarter-sovereign gold coins shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF ”, and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Arms and the date of the year. The coin shall have either a plain or grained edge.’

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4170151

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Many people may not realize this, but where QE II’s Royal Cypher and Coat of Arms used a depiction of St. Edward’s Crown, KC III’s Cypher (which was revealed a few weeks ago) uses the Tudor Crown. This is expected to be used on the Royal Coat of Arms for the King’s reign.

Hence the 2023 Sovereign will have this very subtle but important change from the 2022 Sovereign.

Ref: https://www.royal.uk/his-majesty-kings-cypher

and

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/news/item/205-royal-cypher

I hope @SemolinaPilchard managed to tunnel in to the RM and get some photos.

As I have not heard from him, I hope he didn't get caught, and shot!

😎

Chards

45 minutes ago, bluffer said:

nah. as punishment, he gets forced in work in the RM QA dept.  I think his number will be 13  🤪

Try again, not enough on the QC at Royal Mint to get to 13 surely

35 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Last year I’m sure it was around the 15th November it has to be the 14th November for the 2023 proof sovereigns as it’s mine and Charlie boy’s birthday!   Year of the Dragon as well!  So 2024 should be good. 

Sounds like not only a proof, but also a SOTD (to celebrate his birthday and the release of the proof) on the 14th November - RM marketed as a unique occasion!

Just now, Zhorro said:

Sounds like not only a proof, but also a SOTD (to celebrate his birthday and the release of the proof) on the 14th November - RM marketed as a unique occasion!

Well it’s not if the RM would ever miss an opportunity, I think they should only sell the birthday SOTD to people who share the same Birthday as the king 🥳 

12 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

their?

How many of him are there?

😎

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Do you not know?  @westminstrel are a coin information sourcing organisation,   I'm glad to know and do business with them.   

… hmmmm, does make you wonder about @James32  🤔

Perhaps that’s the number of people in his Hoovering Machine? 🤭