• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Sovereign Rarities auction 5 catalogue is up.... Ides of March.

https://auctions.sovr.co.uk/index.php?option=com_timed_auction&auction_id=15&gridtype=listview

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.50.31 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, jultorsk said:

Sovereign Rarities auction 5 catalogue is up.... Ides of March.

https://auctions.sovr.co.uk/index.php?option=com_timed_auction&auction_id=15&gridtype=listview

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.50.31 am.png

A lot of coins given one auction house and total mintage numbers. Plain edge not striding ahead at this early stage either. I thought sellars would wait to sell as a pair with the portrait on the whole. (Unless they can’t get the portrait at a price they would like) or not deep enough pockets

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

A lot of coins given one auction house and total mintage numbers. Plain edge not striding ahead at this early stage either. I thought sellars would wait to sell as a pair with the portrait on the whole. (Unless they can’t get the portrait at a price they would like) or not deep enough pockets

Might be unfortunate timing that they haven't received Portraits back from grading yet? 🤔

The pic above is a bit misleading, sorry, the "current bids" are not actual bids (at least yet) - they seem to be the starting bids.

Several Engravers' coins going in this auction, incl. two PF69 2oz silver Unas. 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

Did the Una coins have a lower mintage hence being so scarce ?

yes

11 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

I wonder if the gothic crowns will do as well long term.

no

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Just received my replacement gothic crown portrait like this.  Cannot believe they are still sending things out without closing the capsules properly, or without putting any foam in the box to stop it happening when it's clearly a problem.

Thankfully to the naked eye the coin seems fine (certainly better than the one I returned), although it was a fair bit of faff to sort out without physically touching the coin because of the amount of dust/lint that ended up inside the capsule from the box lining.  For a quiet life I shall let this one go.

image.thumb.png.5975dc5ca91ea27b750924136af6d0e6.png

Still waiting for my silver 1 oz. Henry VII and silver 5 oz. Platinum Jubilee.  The RM has bitten off more than it can chew, but it does not care.  The goal is to sell and collect as much and as quickly as they can.

19 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Still waiting for my silver 1 oz. Henry VII and silver 5 oz. Platinum Jubilee.  The RM has bitten off more than it can chew, but it does not care.  The goal is to sell and collect as much and as quickly as they can.

Did you order your Henry VII on release? I ordered mine the other day and they should be landing today. I agree, they have too much to contend with ATM. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Did you order your Henry VII on release? I ordered mine the other day and they should be landing today. I agree, they have too much to contend with ATM. 

Yes, I ordered both coins on release.  I have received my other Royal Jubilee coins and the 2 oz. Henry VII, but I'm still waiting for the 5 oz. Royal Jubilee and 1 oz. Henry VII.

I sent my gold 2oz portrait back as it looked like a dog had chewed it and was told it was acceptable condition so took the refund instead. Kinda left a sour taste in my mouth so gonna rage-quit and sell the others I have. Shame as I had matching low coa numbers on the golds.

Edited by terakris

Been told today that my 2 oz silver portrait that looked like this is being restruck.

Will wait with baited breath for the quality.

PXL_20220209_100025103.thumb.jpg.414be385cc6f20e8eab6784aca6b75f3.jpg

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I've sent back two 2oz silver portraits... they both had this "dandruff" problem with a tiny speck of debris on the field had ballooned to a white 2-3mm halo around it. Looks a bit like a milk spot but isn't.

Good 2oz Portraits might be a challenge to obtain. 

4 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Been told today that my 2 oz silver portrait that looked like this is being restruck.

Will wait with baited breath for the quality.

PXL_20220209_100025103.thumb.jpg.414be385cc6f20e8eab6784aca6b75f3.jpg

Did you get any replacements first? I have one replacement, still with minor flaw. Might phone and try get them to commit to restrike also!

54 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Has anyone got it in writing that the RM are re striking the coins?    Had this before with them and they just palmed me off with a refund.   If you have got this in writing then hold them to it.  

Not in writing, no. But I have been told by a higher up source than my account manager. 

8 hours ago, jultorsk said:

I've sent back two 2oz silver portraits... they both had this "dandruff" problem with a tiny speck of debris on the field had ballooned to a white 2-3mm halo around it. Looks a bit like a milk spot but isn't.

Good 2oz Portraits might be a challenge to obtain. 

My silver 2oz portrait had the same "dandruff" problem as yours. Decided to keep it and send it to NGC for grading and conservation rather than jump on the return merry go round with the RM.

So, I am currently editing a video that I shot at Chards Coin & Bullion - a close look at the 10 oz gold Gothic Quartered Arms!

Sadly even this coin is a monster for quality. 

Check out these frosting breaks!

gothic 3.jpg

gothic 2.jpg

gothic 1.jpg

26 minutes ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Thanks for pointing these out, @BackyardBullion. We've inspected the coin and can confirm the circled points are on the capsule. We have noticed a small fleck near the harp, however, overall, we're happy with the coin. One of Royal Mint's finest for once 😉 

May i ask why you don't display a picture of the actual coin whilst advertising it for sale?

https://www.chards.co.uk/2021-great-engravers-gothic-portrait-10oz-gold-proof-coin/16111

78av.gif

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, I am currently editing a video that I shot at Chards Coin & Bullion - a close look at the 10 oz gold Gothic Quartered Arms!

Sadly even this coin is a monster for quality. 

Check out these frosting breaks!

gothic 3.jpg

gothic 2.jpg

gothic 1.jpg

We just checked all our other stock of these, and they are OK!

😎

Whoops, I was referring to the Quartered Arms, not the Portrait!

😎 😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards