• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Just now, Chonemenos said:

Wait, do you mind if I ask if this is the same submitter that you have used? Could it possibly be something they have done?

Not from same submitter as theses issues showed up at both NGC and PCGS. The submitter I use is only a submitter to NGC.

8 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Not from same submitter as theses issues showed up at both NGC and PCGS. The submitter I use is only a submitter to NGC.

PCGS too?? Oh god, were there post on here about this perviously, as this is the very first time I have heard about this as well, I am just wondering how prevlant this could be. Given the context of the email, 17 coins from that submitter??!!!

This is all so ridiculous!  First, problems with QC issues with the RM and now slabbing issues with NGC.  Seeing all this, there is absolutely no way I am sending any of my coins for grading.  If I am happy with my coins as they are raw, they will stay that way in the mint packaging.

1 minute ago, JeffM said:

This is all so ridiculous!  First, problems with QC issues with the RM and now slabbing issues with NGC.  Seeing all this, there is absolutely no way I am sending any of my coins for grading.  If I am happy with my coins as they are raw, they will stay that way in the mint packaging.

Yep best sticking to gold I think 😂

2 minutes ago, Chonemenos said:

PCGS too?? Oh god, were there post on here about this perviously, as this is the very first time I have heard about this as well, I am just wondering how prevlant this could be. Given the context of the email, 17 coins from that submitter??!!!

It was well known on Facebook groups. Not sure if there was a section on here about it mate.

1 minute ago, JeffM said:

Oh yea, too add to the NGC BS. When I submitted my coins to them two days ago, I just found out that they are out of scartch resistant holders, even the services that normal come with scartch resistant holders with no extra charge would not have them and would be the same price!!! However, I did some digging, appearntly, there was a email sent last november or something saying that the holders would not be back in stock for six to nine months. 

However, I did some digging to make myself feel a better, appearntly if the scartch resistant holders were scartched it would be very difficult to take the scartches out soooo...

Regarding grading the 2oz silver gothics, another very weird thing that I have observed is sometimes for 2oz silver coins NGC does not put the coins in edge view holders, instead the coin just sits in a circular cutout, for example all the great engravers 2oz silver that I have seen are like that. Does anyone know what is the determining factor here, I tried getting an answer from NGC but still haven't heard.

1 minute ago, Chonemenos said:

Regarding grading the 2oz silver gothics, another very weird thing that I have observed is sometimes for 2oz silver coins NGC does not put the coins in edge view holders, instead the coin just sits in a circular cutout, for example all the great engravers 2oz silver that I have seen are like that. Does anyone know what is the determining factor here, I tried getting an answer from NGC but still haven't heard.

All of the 2oz silvers are put into these holders. I think it is just the design for their thicker holders. 

10 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

All of the 2oz silvers are put into these holders. I think it is just the design for their thicker holders. 

I don't know its so weird because the images for the thick holders on their website has the prones, and the gold 2oz that had the thick holders had prongs too.. So did 2oz silver coins from other mints... I will post it here if I hear anything.

1 hour ago, Chonemenos said:

Just stumbled across this video on youtube, today has been terrible for me. I hope at least my coins would be smooth sailing

That was an interesting possible explanation he speculated on - that NCG would've sent coins to graders' homes for grading due to Covid. These marks on the Graces, the Arms, and on his Wolverines are not normal and the fact that NGC fails to produce any explanation how they came about is downright baffling... not to mention that the customer has no recourse; you still have to pay the fees and there's no compensation for the ruined coin.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 7.16.11 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 7.15.43 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

That was an interesting possible explanation he speculated on - that NCG would've sent coins to graders' homes for grading due to Covid. These marks on the Graces, the Arms, and on his Wolverines are not normal and the fact that NGC fails to produce any explanation how they came about is downright baffling... not to mention that the customer has no recourse; you still have to pay the fees and there's no compensation for the ruined coin.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 7.16.11 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 7.15.43 am.png

Correct it is a joke. I can’t do anything about it just got a ruined coin thanks to them. 

That is going to seriously harm NGC’s  image and business now it is out that they take no responsibility for the care of the coin. 

The last coin I got graded myself was the last coin of the Queen’s beast series. I am currently quite happy for coins to sit in their boxes until whenever. I have bought graded coins, but am not rolling any dice during this pandemic/endemic. I can wait.

In other news, my 5oz Arms is being dispatched finally. 

Edited by Oldun

All these issues with damaged coins after going for grading, I assume that there is a lot of small print in the sending of any coins and their lack of responsibility for any damages is in there somewhere? I don’t particularly like coins in slabs, however I had previously toyed with the idea of sending a couple off to be graded, the only bit you tend to read is how and where to send and any cost. Must re-read!

Bit late to this conversation sorry.  There looks to be an issue with the conversation process and modern RM silver (maybe other mints). 

Either something has changed with the metallurgy of the coins and or the chemicals used at the conservation process.  

I will still get RM silver graded but I’m not getting them conserved until they have resolved this issue. 

4 hours ago, Oldun said:

Just a matter of patience….a lot of it ! I am under the impression the Portrait 5oz will be dribbled out from next month, so let’s call it summer ? 🙃

Just noticed my 5oz Arms has moved to "completed orders"🙄

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Could these burn marks be caused by some sort of coating the RM is putting on the silver coins to minimize milk spotting?  Maybe when NGC encapsulates the coins in the slabs they use a heat process that is burning the coating?

19 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

Correct it is a joke. I can’t do anything about it just got a ruined coin thanks to them. 

I would not totally give up on this at this stage.  Whilst it may be a longshot,if you have a photo of the coin that was submitted to NGC and it had no corrosion on it then and came back with it , then on the face of it , this will have happened whilst they had it and they owe you a duty of care in handling it. You , or if it was submitted through a dealer, the submitter should I suggest write to the CEO of NGC in a measured and unhostile tone, expressing your/their extreme disappointment at what has happened , that you have used them a lot satisfactorily in the past  (if that is the case)and saying that you expect to be reimbursed for the damage that has been caused to the coin whilst it was with them and that they have not complied with their duty of care whilst it was with them.

They will obviously resist and blame anyone else they can and assuming that they respond negatively to your first approach , I would suggest following this up with a threat to draw attention to what has occurred with the coin media, which you might eventually want to follow through on if they do not play ball. 

As I say this is a longshot but for the sake of a few letters/emails it may be worth trying. 

In terms of what they might eventually offer you , if at all, I guess that it they will not give you the resale value but might give you what you paid for it.

You could also at the same time contact the RM as a customer of their's and ask them what they think might have caused the issue given that they have metallurgists working for them.

A friendly dealer eg @ Lawrence Chard , might have a better suggestion!

Good luck

1 minute ago, Numis65 said:

I would not totally give up on this at this stage.  Whilst it may be a longshot,if you have a photo of the coin that was submitted to NGC and it had no corrosion on it then and came back with it , then on the face of it , this will have happened whilst they had it and they owe you a duty of care in handling it. You , or if it was submitted through a dealer, the submitter should I suggest write to the CEO of NGC in a measured and unhostile tone, expressing your/their extreme disappointment at what has happened , that you have used them a lot satisfactorily in the past  (if that is the case)and saying that you expect to be reimbursed for the damage that has been caused to the coin whilst it was with them and that they have not complied with their duty of care whilst it was with them.

They will obviously resist and blame anyone else they can and assuming that they respond negatively to your first approach , I would suggest following this up with a threat to draw attention to what has occurred with the coin media, which you might eventually want to follow through on if they do not play ball. 

As I say this is a longshot but for the sake of a few letters/emails it may be worth trying. 

In terms of what they might eventually offer you , if at all, I guess that it they will not give you the resale value but might give you what you paid for it.

You could also at the same time contact the RM as a customer of their's and ask them what they think might have caused the issue given that they have metallurgists working for them.

Good luck

I will take this advice on board mate thank you. Will contact both when I have the coin in hand. So I can send them louped photos etc. :) 

21 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Just noticed my 5oz Arms has moved to "completed orders"🙄

Yours and mine must have been in the latest “batch” to have been minted. 
In other news, my Portrait PF70 is on its way, so just the Portrait 5oz due “from April” left to receive.

14 hours ago, Numis65 said:

Good luck

You could always contact an online coin magazine in the US to see if there have been similar complaints with our American cousins ?

Edited by Oldun