• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

I do too, but in conjunction with the obverse.

I think the coin would look quite off with a gothic reverse and a rather contemporary obverse.

Now if they did a gothic portrait of QEII for her Platinum Jubilee and combined it with the gothic crown’s reverse, I’d be salivating like a hungry dog 🥳

They SO need to do this as either a 1oz Gold Bullion series with mintages of 5000 per coin, or as a Quintuple Sovereign series with mintages of at least 1000 per coin.

The 2oz gold proofs can then continue to be special and rare, whilst allowing relatively more people (like me!) to own and enjoy these beautiful designs once again at a sensible-ish price.

Come on Royal Mint!  And do a 1oz Gold Bullion Valiant while you're at it 😊

As much as I wanted a Five Sovereign with this design, I honestly feel the RM should stick with keeping their ranges minimal. I’m okay with the fact that this range is unique enough to be beyond my means - it’s nice to think there’s something out there to aspire to 😀

Not every coin needs to be mass produced. As a collector (of various things, not just coins), there’s never any fun then because it ceases to be collecting; it just becomes buying.

The Queen’s Beasts with the proofs and bullions was okay, until they came out with the jewellery line.

Ditto the numerous versions of the Sovereigns; yes it makes the coins more accessible to more people, but it also cheapens the appeal because you no longer have rare coins, just seemingly mass produced coins with “low” mintages.

The Great Engravers should remain a “great” series; not lessened by “on second thought...” versions of the designs.

They decided to use .999 gold and a large diameter to do justice to the design. If they were to release a .91 gold version and a smaller diameter coin, that’d be undermining their own justification for the original editions.

Just wouldn’t make sense. But that’s just my thinking, and I am seldom in the majority 😅

On 25/11/2019 at 17:52, Frenchie said:

What's going on with with the Royal mint ? The silver one is down to 150£ now !

I have seen the price coming down  (150£) and coming back to 180£ a few times...Maybe a bug  with VAT in their server. I decided to take the plunge with the lower price coming again by ordering successfully  at that "friendly"price...

We will see what's happen next

I did also buy impulsively the 2oz gold when I saw it coming back yesterday afternoon, I hope I will not regret it (but I still have time to observe the market and cancel it until January if necessary)

I don't know if I can combine shipping costs for both orders, but also, I would not want to put a flea in the RM's ear about VAT bug

Edited by Frenchie

On 25/11/2019 at 10:14, westminstrel said:

Which other engravers were known for famous/iconic designs?

Some of the other engravers will be tattoo artists.

According to the London Gazette "The reverse design will show a pair of hands. The left hand knuckles will bear the letters L.O.V.E. and the right hand knuckles will bear the letters H.A.T.E. The hands are those of Her Majesty".

Surprised you missed that one @h103efa 😁

On 25/11/2019 at 13:09, AndrewSL76 said:

I still think the premium for 'proof' is too much. Unless the mintage figures are properly low, then as an investment you're going to struggle (IMHO). When you can get a two oz Lion for 60.00 at the moment, I think I would rather have three lions that one Una and Lion - if that makes sense. Much nicer to hold, much easier to sell, much more likely to continue going up in price. The Una is still at 80% reserved and the price could not be as high as you would want in the secondary market. I hope everyone who buys it does well though!!

I see it differently. I like to think that most people who buy the proofs are collectors who want the coin regardless of investment potential. I'm not saying those collectors don't take investment potential into consideration though. The 2oz lions are bullion coins. Bullion is investment or semi-numismatic at best. I don't think that this modern Una coin should be on bullion coins - just an additional thought - I know you didn't say that.

Likewise I too could be wrong but let's keep Una special.

1 hour ago, GoodAsGold said:

Some of the other engravers will be tattoo artists.

According to the London Gazette "The reverse design will show a pair of hands. The left hand knuckles will bear the letters L.O.V.E. and the right hand knuckles will bear the letters H.A.T.E. The hands are those of Her Majesty".

Surprised you missed that one @h103efa 😁

Didn't miss it at all @GoodAsGold, from the design I've seen, the left hand says E.T.A.H and the right E.V.O.L :)

I would have loved to buy the £4K gold coin but it's out of my price range at the moment. Well done to everyone on the forum who committed to a gold. I too had to settle for a silver. Let's hope the Royal Mint have got appropriate quality control in place this time, otherwise maybe it's time to strip them of the "Royal" part of their title.

The price is rocketing. I don't usualy buy modern numismatics.

One of the main reasons for this. I got fed up of receiving gold proofs with spots or flecks on the surface.

I thought modern proofs got five or six strikes. Apparently this is not so.  The mint told me modern proofs now only have three strikes and Olympic medals get five strikes. 

Royal Mint told me The gold Una and the Lion had Six strikes so I'm expecting perfection especially at 4K 

Edited by Quicksilver

5 minutes ago, Quicksilver said:

The price is rocketing. I don't usualy buy modern numismatics.

One of the main reasons for this. I got fed up of receiving gold proofs with spots or flecks on the surface.

I thought modern proofs got five or six strikes. Apparently this is not so.  The mint told me modern proofs now only have three strikes and Olympic medals get five strikes. 

Royal Mint told me The gold Una and the Lion had Six strikes so I'm expecting perfection especially at 4K 

Are you going to submit it to NGC ? 😎

1 hour ago, verrachi said:

Are you going to submit it to NGC ? 😎

My collection is about 50/50 split between NGC and PCGS 

As the coin is not cheap you want shipping insurance. 

PCGS Europe is awkward. They no longer take submissions at the UK coin shows you have to send submisions to Paris. 

The last time I checked they only accepted courier deliveries at their Paris office from fed-ex and the insurance coverage was not appropriate. Most couriers don't cover gold and silver coins in the terms and conditions. 

If I do decide to grade the coin. I would submit to Sarasota as I can use a courier with appropriate cover. 

RM's web site still shows "Awaiting stock" for the silver one, but I've received email notification that package has been shipped, tracking number and all.

My order contained two other items, but it was mentioned somewhere that package will be sent when all items are ready. Lucky me? 

14 minutes ago, Ceaiu said:

RM's web site still shows "Awaiting stock" for the silver one, but I've received email notification that package has been shipped, tracking number and all.

My order contained two other items, but it was mentioned somewhere that package will be sent when all items are ready. Lucky me? 

I think some coins had already been produced. Did you order early?