• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

@morezone I remember the time when it felt like every other day you were receiving some new shinney. Nice purchases^^^^^^😀

Bought some silver and platinum from Bairds last night myself, I think that will be the last fir a good while, not touching gold currently and am not a collector.

Not touching Gold but paying massive premiums on silver and platinum?, interesting take. Can I ask your thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Not touching Gold but paying massive premiums on silver and platinum?, interesting take. Can I ask your thoughts?

Silver- gold and platinum - gold ratios look favourable. I am playing a long term however.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Blehhhh said:

Platinum in particular is MASSIVELY undervalued right now. Price correction imminent...

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

1 hour ago, SurreyStacker said:

Delivery of recent purchases came today. Other than capsules on the Britannia's being broken a nice little selection.

Queens Beast Lion OF England 10oz

2 x Britannias 10oz

2 x Panda

2 x Kooks

2 x Roosters

IMG_8402.thumb.jpg.277629450d381801e3f19ba87aeb8558.jpg

Does anyone know where you can get Britannia 10oz capsules from and also QB 10oz replacement capsules from?

I know Yorkshire Bullion were selling these last year. Not sure if they still have any!

6 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

This arrived in the post today, a British Malaya 20 Cents coin, dated 1943, the coin was only minted in three years, 1939, 1943 and 1945.

This design of coin was first minted in 1939 in .750 silver, 8 million were produced, 

in 1943 the silver content was reduced to .500 and only 5 million were minted,

the last year for the silver coins was 1945 with 8 million minted,  what gets me is that the 20 Cents was the highest denomination that country had, was it a poor country back then ?  postwar there was a 50 Cents coin and after the country became part of Malaysia dollars appeared.

Thats all the silver Malaya coins I wanted now, got a few more coins I am waiting for and bidding on, will have to see how they do.

DSCN2781.thumb.JPG.8ed01a7885c7faa00174e0b06be87d42.JPG

DSCN2782.thumb.JPG.b5a927895121ddb95720cc518dfe5e6b.JPG

Size comparison

DSCN2783.thumb.JPG.1414bebb3309fc97d4a86a59a38a2fb3.JPG

DSCN2784.thumb.JPG.c7a3cf0cead00417af751e2415d7012c.JPG

Very interesting and fantastic condition coins. Was it the case that Malaya had its own coinage within the straits settlements or did Malaya cents replace those of the straits? Because the designs are identical :)

Yeah the Straights settlements were before it was just Malaya, late 1800's I think, then after these I think it was Malaya and Borneo with Elizabeth's head on the coins, there is a couple of British colonial coins of this era and before that had a similar layout.

Sorry straights Settlements coins were going into the late 1920's from what I have seen, they must be what they used pre- WW2 and back.

Edited by SILVERFINGER

59 minutes ago, KevinG said:

My biggest silver purchase in a long time.🙂

5 Italian 500 Lire coins 20 Swiss 5 Franc coins 1  1943 Dutch East Indies 2.5 Gulden minted in Denver USA and a 1915 MS62 2 Kronen from Liechtenstein.

20200417_101439.jpg

20200417_101557.jpg

20200417_103338.jpg

20200417_103628.jpg

20200417_104322.jpg

20200417_104230.jpg

20200417_105130.jpg

20200417_105210.jpg

Absolutely stunning collection of world silver there!

I received my very first 2.5 gulden yesterday as part of a job lot and I was blown away at how nice they are! Great size and design- I think it might be my favourite coin in my world silver collection!

IMG_20200417_1057578.jpg

IMG_20200417_1057494.jpg

Some stunning old coins here in the last couple of posts, thanks so much for sharing them,  having been saving for a monster bar for the last couple of years I decided to fill the gap in the time waiting by collecting silver coins in as close to UNC condition as I can from the period 1930 -  1945 ,  the standard catalogue of world coins 1901 - 2000 book/bible has been a godsend in helping with this especially in seeing how huge some coins are like the 2.5 Guldens are, I hope they make capsules big enough for them lol

Edited by SILVERFINGER

Just now, SILVERFINGER said:

Some stunning old coins here in the last couple of posts, thanks so much for sharing them,  having been saving for a monster bar for the last couple of years I decided to fill the gap in the time waiting by collection silver coins in as close to UNC condition as I can from the period 1930 -  1945 ,  the standard catalogue of world coins 1901 - 2000 book/bible has been a godsend in helping with this especially in seeing how huge some coins are like the 2.5 Guldens are, I hope they make capsules big enough for them lol

The standard catalog is great, I have the 1801-1900 and the 1901-2000 and am trying to collect as many (eventually all!) silver circulating coins from 1800 to 2000... so far about 350 down only about 30,000 to go!

3 minutes ago, GoldElliott said:

The standard catalog is great, I have the 1801-1900 and the 1901-2000 and am trying to collect as many (eventually all!) silver circulating coins from 1800 to 2000... so far about 350 down only about 30,000 to go!

lol I am still writing up what I want from the book to make a wish list,  so far there is 80 coins I am after and I have 12, but I am only a third through the book , my fun part is finding them in my OCD proof condition, I am not sending them off for grading so beauty is in the eye of the beholder for me, but I do want them to look nice, clean and as close to unc as possible, I am not collecting every mintmark version either (yet) so that might save me trying to find 1000's of extra coins, 

Just now, SILVERFINGER said:

lol I am still writing up what I want from the book to make a wish list,  so far there is 80 coins I am after and I have 12, but I am only a third through the book , my fun part is finding them in my OCD proof condition, I am not sending them off for grading so beauty is in the eye of the beholder for me, but I do want them to look nice, clean and as close to unc as possible, I am not collecting every mintmark version either (yet) so that might save me trying to find 1000's of extra coins, 

I started collecting world silvers a couple of years ago as a way of stacking silver close to spot, however as I exhausted the more common ones I have increasingly been drawn to more expensive coins (older US ones particularly). I thought by now I would have a clear goal with collecting such as only European 1850-1950 or British Empire only or something, however whenever I see coins from a new country I have to get them to add! I''m working my way through the catalog ticking off each coin (and variation). I haven't targeted key dates or low mintages but  instead keep which ever coin is in the best condition from those dates if that makes sense. As such, when I get a new lot in, if there is a coin with a different date within the range that is in better condition then I replace mine with that one.

I've decided not to collect proofs or non-circulating coins (but am collecting commemorative circulating) as otherwise the collection would be absolutely enourmous and with no definitive end date as countries are still producing silver proof coins. Also, although condition is very important, I like the fact that all my coins have been circulated and especially for the older ones feel that it is an important part of the coin. It's interesting to think what a 1850s half dollar would have been used to purchase or a Russian kopek at a time of war and famine and the kind of people who would have owned and used it before.

One day I'll work out what I want to collect and get more specific but until then I enjoy collecting everything and learning a lot about the history that goes with the coins :)

912017615_WhatsAppImage2020-04-17at11_28_54.thumb.jpeg.11899c2b4b20638f4b920c8e24e1e50b.jpeg

1 hour ago, GoldElliott said:

Absolutely stunning collection of world silver there!

I received my very first 2.5 gulden yesterday as part of a job lot and I was blown away at how nice they are! Great size and design- I think it might be my favourite coin in my world silver collection!

They are very nice indeed they have 18 gram of silver in them which is not too bad. 

14 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Was after one of these bad boys for a while. 2020 double sov BU first year of issue 

thank you @1stsovereign

7634CAA3-680B-40CC-B4B4-478C279BD25E.jpeg

572EE0A9-2752-47B2-AE52-F014A4679D4C.jpeg

They look so freshly minted! These were for sale at £589 at the end of last year... BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE a double sovereign. 

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

10 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

They look so freshly minted! These were for sale at £589 at the end of last year... BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE a double sovereign. 

Aye I missed out then. Paid a fair bit more now lol 😂 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Shows the dramatic rise when you notice such a significant growth in price with a relatively small weight coin! When you think about the value £600 savings would have lost by simply sitting in the bank since November... Hindsight, wonderful thing. 

Many thanks, Elliot

10 minutes ago, SurreyStacker said:

Monster Rolo arrived from @BackyardBullion! Thank you, awesome piece of silver for the collection.

20.37oz of shear joy

I was gonna contact @BackyardBullion about this piece when he got back in business... 

I got to play with it at the London Coin Fair and it is so nice to hold. Stunning!

Well done, @SurreyStacker - lovely addition to any collection.

17 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I was gonna contact @BackyardBullion about this piece when he got back in business... 

I got to play with it at the London Coin Fair and it is so nice to hold. Stunning!

Well done, @SurreyStacker - lovely addition to any collection.

If I ever have the need to sell it I will let you know before listing!

35 minutes ago, SurreyStacker said:

Monster Rolo arrived from @BackyardBullion! Thank you, awesome piece of silver for the collection.

20.37oz of shear joy

IMG_8410.thumb.jpg.a6b01ab41d0ab2a18acb29d3aa3af512.jpg

You managed to get yourself a 'hammered' piece.....and what a piece it is too.....20+ oz offt!

You my friend are stacking hard! 👊🏻👍🏻