• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I quite like it personally. I just think it's a shame they didn't card it inside a capsule like they do with the fractional coins in the similarly sized trial of the pyx blister cards.

It's actually worth the cost just to have Anne Jessopp's facsimile signature on the back!

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, you don't need a magnifying glass for this coin!

2 oz gold Fully Frosted proof (limited to 100 pieces) and available only to people with fancy account managers!

Very fast delivery too, got it just today!

IT IS STUNNING

PXL_20230427_121141575.jpg

PXL_20230427_121149823.jpg

PXL_20230427_121200924.jpg

PXL_20230427_121209552.jpg

Lovely coin 

5 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

2 oz gold Fully Frosted proof (limited to 100 pieces) and available only to people with fancy account managers!

IT IS STUNNING

Eat the rich 

6 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

IT IS STUNNING

Stunning BYB :) 

Edited by Paul

My account manager told me that I would qualify for a 1/40 oz. coin, but there are none left to send me.  So, she told me that there are several being returned for QC issues, and I can buy one of those - at 20% above RRP as an extra fee for dealing with collectors like me.  It's SO good to feel appreciated!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Got mine to now :) - glad you got one to @BackyardBullion Looks super lovely in hand.  Hopefully a wise investment for years to come given the 100 mintage

My account manager described it as a "reverse proof" to me over the phone, i wouldn't really call it that myself.  As you say fully frosted or matt 

I wonder what NGC will class them as when graded 

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

How much was the price?

8 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Congrats BYB - very nice.

I guess you've had a change in fortune since you published your 'Coin Release News - King Charles Coronation Coins Coming Soon!' vid' back along, in which you said: "I'll be getting it [ounce reveal] in silver; I'll skip the gold because that's gonna cost quite a lot of money and it's not within my budget"!

Not that I'm in the slightest bit jealous or anything!

😉 👍

8 hours ago, JeffM said:

My account manager told me that I would qualify for a 1/40 oz. coin, but there are none left to send me.  So, she told me that there are several being returned for QC issues, and I can buy one of those - at 20% above RRP as an extra fee for dealing with collectors like me.  It's SO good to feel appreciated!

Stop making us all jealous 🤣

20 hours ago, Jake0111 said:

Stop making us all jealous 🤣

Sorry, but I'm very proud of my relationship with the RM.  Heck, just the other day I called Anne Jessopp on her direct line, and she put me on hold.  She could have easily hung up on me, but she kindly put me on hold.  Of course, she never came back to the phone, but at least she did not hang up on me!  👍

Sorry for the daft question, when was it the royal mint released a coin as a matt-proof / fully frosted or whatever the correct term  large coin is ??

Not bullion Matt coins, Matt "proof"?  

I'm learning and taking info on board but don't have the books and resources to look up as some do 

And I correct it was last coronations ? 1937 and 1902 ? 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Sorry for the daft question, when was it the royal mint released a coin as a matt-proof / fully frosted or whatever the correct term  large coin is ??

Not bullion Matt coins, Matt "proof"?  

I'm learning and taking info on board but don't have the books and resources to look up as some do 

And I correct it was last coronations ? 1937 and 1902 ? 

For 1902 coronation of King Edward VII there were "matt proof" sovereigns released. There were some American matt proof coins around the same period but the design didn't seem very popular, and people gradually gave up on them.

Having a 1902 £5 in fairly good condition I must say it's quite different from modern matt finish BUNC coins like the Platinum Jubilee £5 in that the original matt "proof" did not have the cartwheel lustre that modern coins have. Honestly I don't know whether this is prepared the same way "frost" on regular proof coins is. Also some proof frosts have lustre whilst others do not... so I guess not even the mint knows what they're doing.

29 minutes ago, AgCoyote said:

He needs to wear the crown in bullion coins too. It looks so much better for a king. Hopefully the Australian depiction will have the crown. 

Royal mint has confirmed the bullion will be crowned 👍

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

For 1902 coronation of King Edward VII there were "matt proof" sovereigns released. There were some American matt proof coins around the same period but the design didn't seem very popular, and people gradually gave up on them.

Having a 1902 £5 in fairly good condition I must say it's quite different from modern matt finish BUNC coins like the Platinum Jubilee £5 in that the original matt "proof" did not have the cartwheel lustre that modern coins have. Honestly I don't know whether this is prepared the same way "frost" on regular proof coins is. Also some proof frosts have lustre whilst others do not... so I guess not even the mint knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the insight and input. I've been fortunate to get the 2oz gold 'matt proof' gold and in hand, it certainly doesn't look super different to any BU bullion gold £5 coin

I guess the detail is in the strike. But it doesn't leap of of the page to wow you initially. It'll be one to watch. Limited to just 100 certainly makes it a very bit special in historical terms. 

I'll still be HODL and watch and enjoy and the journey. I know I've got something special

Will be interesting to see what the first Matt PF70 goes for first time it shows up at auction to set the bar for value for the market 

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

Thanks for the insight and input. I've been fortunate to get the 2oz gold 'matt proof' gold and in hand, it certainly doesn't look super different to any BU bullion gold £5 coin

I guess the detail is in the strike. But it doesn't leap of of the page to wow you initially. It'll be one to watch. Limited to just 100 certainly makes it a very bit special in historical terms. 

I'll still be HODL and watch and enjoy and the journey. I know I've got something special

Will be interesting to see what the first Matt PF70 goes for first time it shows up at auction to set the bar for value for the market 

If you ever sell it at spot let me know.

Jokes aside, the 1902 currency £5 are actually rarer than the proof version, though the mintage figures were the same. Also much harder to find a MS60 than a PF60...

Edited by Guest

32 minutes ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

Can't find it now but someone asked them on Facebook if it would be and they confirmed it would. So must have been either deleted or on a sponsored post

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

4 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

If you ever sell it at spot let me know.

Jokes aside, the 1902 currency £5 are actually rarer than the proof version, though the mintage figures were the same. Also much harder to find a MS60 than a PF60...

I'm reading and learning

It'll be added to the last to be sold pile at the back of the safe deposit box. 

Can't see many of these 100 coming to market once the flipperarty have flipped and coronation hype is over 

Again, nice to have one and enjoy the journey

36 minutes ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

^^^ That's excellent news for the bullion collectors/stackers among us.  I'm looking forward to those crowned bullion coins being released for general sale, and intend to buy a full sovereign and a double sovereign.

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'm reading and learning

It'll be added to the last to be sold pile at the back of the safe deposit box. 

Can't see many of these 100 coming to market once the flipperarty have flipped and coronation hype is over 

Again, nice to have one and enjoy the journey

You can never have too much gold.