• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

22 minutes ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Just curious, anyone seen the official coronation medal? 

In commemoration of the coronation of His Majesty King Charles III, we are releasing a coronation coin collection. Commemorating His Majesty The King’s historic coronation, the collection features three new reverse designs, which are available across a range of commemorative coins, struck in a number of editions and sizes. The collection also features a coronation medal that is exclusively available from The Royal Mint Experience.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/coronations-and-commemorations/

Yes there was a picture shared on their socials last week. I’ll see if I can find it. 

image.jpeg.49f6d8ac7c31a44422fb63ed12ef28ae.jpeg

2 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Just curious, anyone seen the official coronation medal? 

In commemoration of the coronation of His Majesty King Charles III, we are releasing a coronation coin collection. Commemorating His Majesty The King’s historic coronation, the collection features three new reverse designs, which are available across a range of commemorative coins, struck in a number of editions and sizes. The collection also features a coronation medal that is exclusively available from The Royal Mint Experience.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/coronations-and-commemorations/

They're only £6.95, but as they're only available from the RME shop in Wales the only practical way for most people to get one will be to buy one on eBay/Facebook/etc. The cheapest I've seen so far are about £12-£15 posted, so it's not too outrageous considering there is supposed to be a household limit of 3 medals.

I got mine yesterday when I went there to strike my own coronation 50p, which I later realised I struck within 10 minutes of the king getting crowned!

IMG_20230506_155117.thumb.jpg.3dbb82b31cf2c343dff03e818396dcc1.jpg

I like the medal. It is cute and the mintage won’t be that high if limited to 3 per household. Was it a one day special on coronation day or will they continue to sell it?

17 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

I like the medal. It is cute and the mintage won’t be that high if limited to 3 per household. Was it a one day special on coronation day or will they continue to sell it?

They went on sale before the coronation day so I expect they'll be available for a while longer. As the RME was open for 24 hours yesterday I'm sure plenty of people managed to circumvent all sorts of limits (including the one tour per day limit!) to get extra medals and SYOs as the staff obviously had to change over at some point.

A couple of other exclusives currently are the base proof Wales and Northern Ireland £5 coins, with the other two presumably coming out at some point later this year.

I can understand the appeal of owning a coin that you yourself have struck.

But I don’t get the appeal of buying someone else’s “strike your own” coin.

I mean, why pay more for an SYO coin that someone else has struck?

Isn’t that the same as buying a coin direct from the Royal Mint (which someone else has struck)? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

This post isn’t directed at anyone specifically. Just sharing my thoughts… 🙂

12 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I can understand the appeal of owning a coin that you yourself have struck.

But I don’t get the appeal of buying someone else’s “strike your own” coin.

I mean, why pay more for an SYO coin that someone else has struck?

Isn’t that the same as buying a coin direct from the Royal Mint (which someone else has struck)? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

This post isn’t directed at anyone specifically. Just sharing my thoughts… 🙂

You would think a SYO coin would just have the value of bullion or the value of the original coin from the mint on the 2nd hand market. I cant see many people wanting to pay a premium for someone elses SYO coin.

a few more coronation SOTD's have gone in the past day or so on feeBay 

£1575, lower than £1650 (sold via accepted best offer), £1950 via auction, £1650

So around £1550-£1650 is looking round about value during current Coronation mania/hype phase

1 hour ago, Paul said:

a few more coronation SOTD's have gone in the past day or so on feeBay 

£1575, lower than £1650 (sold via accepted best offer), £1950 via auction, £1650

So around £1550-£1650 is looking round about value during current Coronation mania/hype phase

Yep, mine is sat at 1550, got a reserve of 1600 so I expect it will go. I've never done this before and had no intention of flipping mine but prices just seemed too high not to especially with spot being so high and the next tudor beast bullion coming soon which is my real collection.

If it doesn't make reserve I will be perfectly happy to keep it though, it's a very unique piece and will always be highly collectible 

12 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Yep, mine is sat at 1550, got a reserve of 1600 so I expect it will go. I've never done this before and had no intention of flipping mine but prices just seemed too high not to especially with spot being so high and the next tudor beast bullion coming soon which is my real collection.

If it doesn't make reserve I will be perfectly happy to keep it though, it's a very unique piece and will always be highly collectible 

Ace. Whatever works best for you. So you next beast will cost you just 850 instead of 1600ish 

2 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

The appeal to me of the SYO coronation 6th May 50p is not that it is a SYO but the fact that it was only available on one day and that day being the King’s coronation which shown on the packaging. 

Ah got it. In this case it’s more like an SotD coin so indeed that makes it a bit more special.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Ah got it. In this case it’s more like an SotD coin so indeed that makes it a bit more special.

I'll be interested to see the mintage figures on it, they done a 24 hour event which sold out of tours and everyone on my tour stamped the full 3 each lol its going to be high but I'm interested just how many can be done in a day 🤔

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

Look them up on eBay. They are popular for key royal events.  But they are struck in peasants metal which put a lot of folk off here ;) :)

Yeah if I had the option to pay out my arse for a silver or gold one I would have lol

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

27 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Interestingly, I don't think the 6th May packaging even identifies it as a strike your own coin.

Today's packaging does.

You’re right. It doesn’t. It just says that it was struck on the day. Whilst the coins available to buy from 7 May say ‘I struck this 50p coin’. 

Images from EBay: 

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_3409.jpeg

13 hours ago, Paul said:

i m not sure this is an hype phase; what is crucial is total minted number (1260); how many true sovereign collectors are out there? i never ever bought a coin in my life with the purpose of re selling it and i have never sold a single coin so far; (of course that might change, the future is not ours to see no?)

i'd never part with it to make 7-800 gbp profit, this is not what i am collecting for. How many will hold? 1260 is not a large number. 20% will re sell? That means 250 Sotd on the market, but what will happen when they'll be bought by collectors that didnt make it on the 24 April? they'll hold...

little by little the number of coronation Sotd available on the market will decrease (and the money asked for the few available will increase, that's simple logic). At that point (2k?) few that had originall held will decide to sell, (still, true collectors will never ever sell it) and that will eventually create a temporary hype in offer, but the numbers will be too low to create a domino effect on prices. Its a closed economy cycle.

You cant compare with Jubilee or Memorial imho; this is a specific event linked to a day that is already part of history. Regardless of what RM will decide to do (and dilute) with the Coronation Proof

11 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You’re right. It doesn’t. It just says that it was struck on the day. Whilst the coins available to buy from 7 May say ‘I struck this 50p coin’. 

Images from EBay: 

IMG_3409.jpeg

I do fear the regular SYO could be easily confused with the 6th May SYO because it has the date "6 May 2023" on the front.

19 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I do fear the regular SYO could be easily confused with the 6th May SYO because it has the date "6 May 2023" on the front.

Yes, agreed. A quick look at eBay does show that some sellers are not being as clear as perhaps they should. Some are saying ‘read the description’ but others are not. Just the usual eBay vibe……