• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

I have a question that’s pure speculation- is the 1/4 quarter ounce coronation gold crown a coin that will continue to appreciate in demand or will it dwindle with coronation fever?  

Obviously no one knows the answer for sure, but I bought a couple since the RM only made 1250 and the design was so nice it just seemed like easy money.

Thoughts?  Am I just trying to convince myself?  Just curious if the more informed among us have a crystal ball ……..

7 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I have a question that’s pure speculation- is the 1/4 quarter ounce coronation gold crown a coin that will continue to appreciate in demand or will it dwindle with coronation fever?  

Obviously no one knows the answer for sure, but I bought a couple since the RM only made 1250 and the design was so nice it just seemed like easy money.

Thoughts?  Am I just trying to convince myself?  Just curious if the more informed among us have a crystal ball ……..

My personal opinion is it will be mostly forgotten once the Coronation frenzy died down.

I say this because the gorgeous Platinum Jubilee mantled Coat of Arms design was also released in various denominations, including a 1/4oz gold, and after the initial excitement, the prices have stabilised.

image.thumb.jpeg.b10820347be018a60d801f273f8fefc7.jpeg

The Platinum Jubilee 1/4oz gold coin was also a slightly smaller mintage of 1110 compared to the Coronation 1/4oz gold coin of 1360.

10 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

My personal opinion is it will be mostly forgotten once the Coronation frenzy died down.

I say this because the gorgeous Platinum Jubilee mantled Coat of Arms design was also released in various denominations, including a 1/4oz gold, and after the initial excitement, the prices have stabilised.

image.thumb.jpeg.b10820347be018a60d801f273f8fefc7.jpeg

I'd say the coronation design is a lot nicer than that Platinum Jubilee design though. It just looks a bit plain to me. 

51 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

I'd say the coronation design is a lot nicer than that Platinum Jubilee design though. It just looks a bit plain to me. 

I personally prefer the simplicity of the Platinum Jubilee design with just the year date, and with no other text; it harks back to the mantled Coat of Arms coins of the 1800s. 🙂

image.jpeg.8657bbf1ca95a0cd3d4858dceed43042.jpeg

As @TheShinyStuff says though, they both are nice in their own way. 🙂

29 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I personally prefer the simplicity of the Platinum Jubilee design with just the year date, and with no other text; it harks back to the mantled Coat of Arms coins of the 1800s. 🙂

image.jpeg.8657bbf1ca95a0cd3d4858dceed43042.jpeg

As @TheShinyStuff says though, they both are nice in their own way. 🙂

The platinum jubilee design didn't have the nice tincture lines on the fields. The last time tincture appeared was on the 2002 sovereigns, and on the shield of Britannia but rather trivial. The modern audience don't seem to appreciate the old heraldic conventions.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 hour ago, Falcon1985 said:

it was only for a short time lol and now it is 1400£ if it is in stock

Yikes, and still £6 delivery too! Didn't they hold off allowing people to pre-order? Seem to have just waited to receive their allocation then bump them all up. Sold out already though.

7 minutes ago, MBTPSilver said:

Yikes, and still £6 delivery too! Didn't they hold off allowing people to pre-order? Seem to have just waited to receive their allocation then bump them all up. Sold out already though.

Yep, feels a bit moody to me. Free market etc and everyone’s out to make a profit but it’s how I feel about trying to get tickets for gigs when you can’t buy direct and end up paying loads more via resellers etc. I don’t begrudge them making profit as a business but just wish the end consumer stood a better chance of buying in the first place

I received my SOTD today and it’s missing a bit of the frost finish in three or four small dots (a couple of each side). From a plain visual inspection it’s not bad.

So my question is does that really matter on what is essentially a bullion finish?  Is the main value of this coin the fact that it’s a SOTD on the first new sovereign in over 70 years or is perfection an issue?  I have no plans to get it graded and there are no replacements anyway so I guess I just smile and stick it in the safe?

47 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

I received my SOTD today and it’s missing a bit of the frost finish in three or four small dots (a couple of each side). From a plain visual inspection it’s not bad.

So my question is does that really matter on what is essentially a bullion finish?  Is the main value of this coin the fact that it’s a SOTD on the first new sovereign in over 70 years or is perfection an issue?  I have no plans to get it graded and there are no replacements anyway so I guess I just smile and stick it in the safe?

With the purported mintage numbers on the proofs due out in a month or so I reckon this one is a winner (I’m biased as I too have an SOTD). Far lower mintage and of all SOTDsovs it’s the Kings Coronation. Spots of frosting shouldn’t impact appreciation over time. When I receive mine tomorrow and it’s got loads of issues I will of course lose my s**t but when I calm down I’ll reflect on this and think the same 👍🏼