• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

The collection comprises of a number of denominations, including a UK 50p coin, £5 coin, The Sovereign, and a limited number of fine gold and silver coins struck in a variety of sizes. Each beautifully crafted coin in the main collection features one of three exclusive reverse designs, whilst the obverse of these coins features the first official crowned coinage portrait of King Charles III, designed by Martin Jennings and personally approved by His Majesty. As part of the collection, we are also releasing curated historic sets.

FE14778B-7943-4E88-A85C-71344C5E221E.thumb.webp.a1fe419d4560ec8ddf407928723b5acf.webp

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/

The most interesting aspect to me is regarding the Sovereign:

In addition, the collection will also include a very limited number of Sovereigns struck on 6 May 2023, the day of the coronation, as the perfect way for collectors to commemorate this momentous occasion. This is the first opportunity to own a 2023 Sovereign. The rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection will be released later in the year and will be available in a variety of Proof editions.

I'll be trying to pick up one of the full ounce golds as I think the design is great and is far better than the crown. Probably one of the inevitable sovereign sets too at a later date. Got to have a strike of the day as well. I'm glad I held off from making any new purchases for a few months.

Edited by BOOLIAN

I can pretty much only afford the SotD Sovereign, and even that’d be stretching it at the rumoured price of £850.

The 1oz will be almost £3,000 which is way out of my budget. ☹️

But they’re calling it the “Ounce coin” and state it will be available in a variety of sizes and metals. So maybe I could spring for the 1/4oz gold or the 5oz silver. 

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I can pretty much only afford the SotD Sovereign, and even that’d be stretching it at the rumoured price of £850.

I'm pretty much in the same boat but I'm only interested in Sovs.

I hope the proof collection release is ~3 months away for any chance to be able to afford one as well...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

1 hour ago, Sc391 said:

Please excuse my ignorance as an American, but is the crown the King is wearing the same one that Victoria wore in some of her coins (gothic crown, florin, etc)

AFAIK the crown on KCIII cypher is a depiction of the Tudor Crown, but he will be crowned with the St. Edward's Crown in the coronation. When he waves from the balcony after the coronation, he is expected to wear the Imperial State Crown.

The original Tudor Crown was destroyed in 1649 when Charles I was beheaded and the monarchy abolished by Cromwell. No current crown in use is similar to the Tudor Crown, although a replica has been created for tourists to view. I doubt that Charles would be wearing the replica on the coin - perhaps it's an artistic interpretation? 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, MickB said:

This will be the first crowned sovereign then. Would this mean every sovereign onwards will show Charles wearing a crown or for this occasion it'll be a one-off?

One off I believe 

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

1 hour ago, MickB said:

This will be the first crowned sovereign then. Would this mean every sovereign onwards will show Charles wearing a crown or for this occasion it'll be a one-off?

I assume the crowned portrait will be a one-off, as King Charles has apparently started he wants to follow the precedent of previous male Monarchs’ effigies.

I do like the "Ounce" design and the colour of the gold.  I would love a quarter ounce example.  So, do I try for this or the SOTD sovereign?  A lot will depend on whether the later Coronation Sovereign collection uses the crowned head or not.  If this later collection bears the crowned head, this will just devalue the novelty of the SOTD.

Unless my brain did one of it's things I specifically didn't pick up any mention of a bullion Sovereign. 

So either I missed the mention or their wasn't one... and if that's the case did RM Marketing Man forget to mention it in his spiel or might their simply not be one?

Answers on a postcard please...

54 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I do like the "Ounce" design and the colour of the gold.  I would love a quarter ounce example.  So, do I try for this or the SOTD sovereign?  A lot will depend on whether the later Coronation Sovereign collection uses the crowned head or not.  If this later collection bears the crowned head, this will just devalue the novelty of the SOTD.

It seems pretty clear (to me) from their description that the Proof Coronation Sovereign range to be released later in the year will also have the crowned portrait. But I may be mistakenly reading between the lines here. 🙂

This is the G&D sovereign that was mentioned in the gazette. The sovereign moving forward will be a shield, I hope/believe, and so it may be extra special to have a G&D and the crowned portrait as it would truly then be a one off.

I am probably only convincing myself here as I love the shield sovereign design and kind of want there to be some varieties moving forward for the half (low shield/high shield etc.). Anything to help me geek out gets my money. 

24 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

It seems pretty clear (to me) from their description that the Proof Coronation Sovereign range to be released later in the year will also have the crowned portrait. But I may be mistakenly reading between the lines here. 🙂

You are correct, there will be proof sovereigns with crown portrait later in the year.

"The rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection will be released later in the year and will be available in a variety of Proof editions."

Here’s more information about the crowned portrait.

The new, crowned coin effigy has been created specifically for the Coronation, ahead of the historic event on May 6th and will feature on the commemorative range produced by The Royal Mint to mark the Coronation of Their Majesties King Charles III and Queen Camilla.

The crowned effigy is reserved specifically for collectable, commemorative coins and will be reserved for very special collections moving forwards.

Specifications, Presentation numbers, and prices of the £5, 50p and Ounce coins can be found here.

However, no details on Maximum Mintage numbers.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/press-centre/royal-mint-reveal-celebratory-coronation-range-ahead-of-the-coronation-on-6-may/

Also, no details on the SotD Sovereign.