• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Memorial Sovereign 2022 with King Charles

harrygill111

I have a couple of questions for those of you familiar with the vagaries of The Royal Mint and their workings. . .

I've noticed they quite often have 'No Longer Available' next to popular coins, while others are 'Sold Out'. What's the difference?

With regard to today's release, I was on the Memorial Sovereign page soon after 9.00am which surprised me as I had to queue for half an hour for the last but one British Monarchs release. (I missed out on the Edward VII release.) All but one of the offerings are 'Available to Order', with only the two coin set listed as 'In Stock'. Given one has to wait for up to 16 weeks to receive one's purchase whatever one gets, the distinction between the two categories is lost on me! Is it that they've not yet minted the 'Available to Order' coins and buyers will have to wait even longer to receive those? Also, there are no details and additional images for some coins - the Piedfort coin for example. Click on the link to that, and rather than opening up a new window with the details one normally gets - it sends one back to the homepage. Grrr!

Perhaps I'm being harsh and I haven't learnt to navigate the site properly. Either that or RM aren't being quite as clear, transparent and helpful as it could be?

30 minutes ago, timsk said:

Also, there are no details and additional images for some coins - the Piedfort coin for example. Click on the link to that, and rather than opening up a new window with the details one normally gets - it sends one back to the homepage. Grrr!

I experienced the same with one of the coins - a circular loop with the links. 

As for images, I wonder if they will change the packaging going forward. Maybe that’s why there aren’t additional images? 🤔 

39 minutes ago, timsk said:

I have a couple of questions for those of you familiar with the vagaries of The Royal Mint and their workings. . .

I've noticed they quite often have 'No Longer Available' next to popular coins, while others are 'Sold Out'. What's the difference?

With regard to today's release, I was on the Memorial Sovereign page soon after 9.00am which surprised me as I had to queue for half an hour for the last but one British Monarchs release. (I missed out on the Edward VII release.) All but one of the offerings are 'Available to Order', with only the two coin set listed as 'In Stock'. Given one has to wait for up to 16 weeks to receive one's purchase whatever one gets, the distinction between the two categories is lost on me! Is it that they've not yet minted the 'Available to Order' coins and buyers will have to wait even longer to receive those? Also, there are no details and additional images for some coins - the Piedfort coin for example. Click on the link to that, and rather than opening up a new window with the details one normally gets - it sends one back to the homepage. Grrr!

Perhaps I'm being harsh and I haven't learnt to navigate the site properly. Either that or RM aren't being quite as clear, transparent and helpful as it could be?

One will be available to order for delivery to be determined, one is done, no more to be produced/available 

38 minutes ago, timsk said:

I suspect that initially all the coins they have struck on the first run will be "in stock". Once these are sold, the next run will be "available to order" until sold out.

The website sometimes takes a while to refresh these. I noticed today, some were "available to order" on the main page but if you tried to add to basket, nothing happened. I assume they were actually sold out at that point.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 11/11/2022 at 23:08, MergingCultures said:

I managed to get a 2022 Proof using my phone while having a boozy lunch!! I didn't even notice the queue!!

Lol. This and I ordered the 5 coin set via Chards 2 and a half hours after the RM release for £40 less and with no doubt better QC than the RM. Haven’t touched the RM for a year due to rubbish QC but sovs they do well and dipping a toe back into safety via Chards QC.  Cheers :)

Edited by Oldun

27 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Lol. This and I ordered the 5 coin set via Chards 2 and a half hours after the RM release for £40 less and with no doubt better QC than the RM. Haven’t touched the RM for a year due to rubbish QC but sovs they do well and dipping a toe back into safety via Chards QC.  Cheers :)

Yep, just cancelled my order with RM and placed one with Chards instead ans saved myseld the equivalent of 1oz Britannia. Happy days!

44 minutes ago, Oldun said:

It’s really the quintuplet I am after…that’s the winner…the rest is gravy. Will keep as a box set without grading and will go straight to my daughter’s wedding fund….in 20 years’ time u less she gets jiggy with it ! 

Just laughed at myself as good chance Charlie wont even be around by then ! Blimey……

I've just ordered the BU five sovereign piece.  It's a lot of money that I wasn't expecting to spend, but... I think it's a superb coin and will sit well in my collection.

Bread and water for most of 2023 for me I suspect, apart from picking up the bullion sovereign and double sovereign of this design if they release it in those sizes for bullion.

this time the RM really exaggerated imho.

Every single coin (or set) put on sell this morning is still available. When i joined the queue this morning i was only at no. 1700 ish and i logged in at 09.10 am; 

i dont get (ok money, thats i got) the point in flooding the market with so many and truly expensive coins. Even the BU 5 pounds is still available (1200 pieces), almost 8 hour after the official release.

At some point the market will just not be able anymore to absorbe everything, with the logical consequence on prices. We rely on the value of what we are buying, we rely on the fact that our coins will keep if not increase their valure over time. 

Too many unique coins make them not unique at all at the end of the day

I think the recession may have slowed sales down with more people thinking about heating bills and food costs .

Added to that the fact that the Queen was popular throughout the world. Is the American market interested in Charles III ? 

8 out of 10 coin collectors prefer the Queen 🤔

Compared to the Jubilee Sovereign, the Memorial Sovereign has a combination of substantial mintage increases (+71% 5 Sovs, +34% 1 Sovs) combined with pretty substantial price increases of 17-18% across the board. 

But my reasoning is, with the 89 Sovereign being such a great design (my favourite), and such a substantial historic moment, if i could go back in time, would I have purchased it at +20% prices. Probably yes. Even though there will be the bullion issue's carrying the same design, they're simply not proofs! 

1 minute ago, harrygill111 said:

Compared to the Jubilee Sovereign, the Memorial Sovereign has a combination of substantial mintage increases (+71% 5 Sovs, +34% 1 Sovs) combined with pretty substantial price increases of 17-18% across the board. 

But my reasoning is, with the 89 Sovereign being such a great design (my favourite), and such a substantial historic moment, if i could go back in time, would I have purchased it at +20% prices. Probably yes. Even though there will be the bullion issue's carrying the same design, they're simply not proofs! 

I was just about to mention the 18% price increase.  Gold itself has increased by about 7% (in terms of Pounds) over the past year, so maybe the rest is to do with increases in production costs.

Nearly £700 for a proof sovereign is a lot of money, especially when the bullion sovereign will probably be less than £400.

When it comes to the 2023 sovereign, I think I will give the proof a miss, but hopefully there will be Coronation SOTD which I will try for.

5 hours ago, Oldun said:

Just laughed at myself as good chance Charlie wont even be around by then ! Blimey……

Or some of the rest of us, I'm afraid. (I am slightly older than HM). 

Edited by RDHC
typo

1 hour ago, Midasfrog said:

I think the recession may have slowed sales down with more people thinking about heating bills and food costs .

Added to that the fact that the Queen was popular throughout the world. Is the American market interested in Charles III ? 

8 out of 10 coin collectors prefer the Queen 🤔

The Queen wore a crown. That alone makes her much cooler. Charles is progressive enough to not wear a crown but not progressive enough to keep the earrings. It's very disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

The last time there was a King wearing a crown on UK coinage was... in the 17th century.  And the last time there was a King even wearing a laurel wreath on UK coinage was in the 1820s.

So Charles is merely keeping with 'recent' tradition 🙂

The fresh princess of Bel air may have a word in his lug. Her highness ms markle.

To make him more marketable to a younger more inclusive diverse worldwide audience 

4 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

^^^ It would be fantastic if King Charles said that he identified as non-binary and insisted that she be addressed as Philippa (based on the first of his/her middle names) on weekdays beginning with T.

I've ran out of reactions for today. But nothing would surprise me in clown world today 🤡🤡🤡 honk ! Honk !! 

I ordered the full Sovereign from a dealer.  I did not want to get up at 3 a.m. U.S. CST.  I ended up waking up then anyway, but I did not want to attempt the expected huge queue at the RM.  So, I went straight to a dealer and bought it with no queue.  In retrospect, I should have jumped into the queue, but who knew at the time?

i ve heard a lot complaining about today's prices, and yet buying.

thing is guys, there is not match against the RM; we share info, thoughts and daily bla bla, but when it comes to buy (or not) we act individually. And the quicker (and the more) we buy, the lesser we have in hand as of global negotiating power.

695 gbp for a proof sov is an obscenity. And at the very moment it gets sold out, that will mark a new milestone that will never be negotiated in the future

2 minutes ago, refero said:

i ve heard a lot complaining about today's prices, and yet buying.

thing is guys, there is not match against the RM; we share info, thoughts and daily bla bla, but when it comes to buy (or not) we act individually. And the quicker (and the more) we buy, the lesser we have in hand as of global negotiating power.

695 gbp for a proof sov is an obscenity. And at the very moment it gets sold out, that will mark a new milestone that will never be negotiated in the future

Saying no and not playing the game VS FOMO 

Sadly with 500+ year heritage and past history behind it. It's unlikely to change. 

When you look at the unique designs in the past mintage especially in large sizes 

Once George and dragon becomes the norm again for a decade or so 

Well be thinking back "I wish I bought . . . . . . . When I had the chance " (hopefully)