• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Memorial Sovereign 2022 with King Charles

harrygill111

11 minutes ago, James32 said:

Such a pessimist lol. In reality though, how would we ever know?

Theoretically, they are audited.  Theoretically.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 hour ago, refero said:

by the way why the official listing of this coin is QE II memorial sovereign 2022 if it bears KC III effige? does it have to do with the king not being coronated yet?

I guess because it's a memorial to QEII, but all newly issued coins feature KCIII ongoing.  So it indicates the transition.

The coronation is the formal ceremony to recognise the new monarch.  He is already the King, and became so the moment the Queen died.  I don't think it has any effect on coinage.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Can you imagine if they do a one-off crowned portrait of KC III for the Coronation Sovereign? 😍

I doubt it’d be “controversial” as it wouldn’t be the regular portrait used for circulation coinage and other RM coins, just a special one-off to commemorate the coronation.

I may have given the RM an idea… 😏

Edited by westminstrel

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Can you imagine if they do a one-off crowned portrait of KC III for the Coronation Sovereign? 😍

I can also imagine, in his support for sustainability and avoiding waste, all 2023 coronation sovereigns will be "best price mixed years" from the back of the mint's vault.

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I doubt it’d be “controversial” as it wouldn’t be the regular portrait used for circulation coinage and other RM coins, just a special one-off to commemorate the coronation.

I may have given the RM an idea… 😏

That's not a bad idea, something like have that on the obverse and G&D on the reverse.

I was thinking along the lines of seated in the coronation chair in Westminster abbey, like on the reverse of the 1989 sovereign.

21 minutes ago, kimchi said:

People seem generally pretty ambivalent about him (recent egg throwers aside!) - I don't think Charlie would be bold enough to have a crowned coin. I am guessing a crown privy reverse only on the G&D design.

All I ever want from a Royal is to open the town leisure centres, and try not to cost too much.

Buy high. Sell low.

I would love to see this on a special coronation Sovereign.  The obverse shows the crowned King Charles seated on the throne.  Reverse shows his favorite toilet seat that he takes everywhere……together with a toilet flush handle as a privy.

54 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I would love to see this on a special coronation Sovereign.  The obverse shows the crowned King Charles seated on the throne.  Reverse shows his favorite toilet seat that he takes everywhere……together with a toilet flush handle as a privy.

One of my builders did work on the toilets at St James' Palace while the then Prince Charles and his new wife Diana were present, honestly he told me that Charles had a gold throne and made a huge joke out of it 🤣

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I can't resist quoting this, I 'm afraid, because it seems so apposite: the late 16th century French writer and, in his own modest way, philosopher, Michel de Montaigne wrote in one of his Essays , 'Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our own bottom.'

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Don’t think Charles is bad enough to break with tradition and have a crown put on. He’s not Edward 8th! (Thankfully 🫢)

The RM has been anything BUT traditional with the passing of QE II and the new reign of KC III as it relates to their coin releases.

If not a crowned portrait, they could even do a laureate portrait.

Nothing is impossible. Aka anything is possible. 😛

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The RM has been anything BUT traditional with the passing of QE II and the new reign of KC III as it relates to their coin releases.

If not a crowned portrait, they could even do a laureate portrait.

Nothing is impossible. Aka anything is possible. 😛

No, don’t think the palace would authorise a crown, wouldn’t want people getting the wrong idea about Charles 

1 hour ago, Petra said:

No, don’t think the palace would authorise a crown, wouldn’t want people getting the wrong idea about Charles 

What do you mean by wrong idea?

There’s going to be an actual coronation ceremony - streamed and televised worldwide.

Crowned portrait(s) on a coin would be the least controversial thing if that’s what you mean.

And if not on a Sovereign, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that we could see crowned portraits of KC III and Queen Consort Camilla on some commemorative coin.

7 hours ago, JeffM said:

Does the Royal Mint sell sheets of toilet paper with the Royal privy mark on 😂