• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Charles III portrait coins

Spotted on a BookFace group -

A interesting poll for todays release. 

Looks like the vast majority have shunned todays launch and bought nothing.  If we are to believe their votes.

We presume the collectors, investors & flippers are not involved today and it is Westminster Mint, London Mint Office & Harrington & Byrne type of buyers hoovering stuff up today taking up 50,000+ places in the queues all day 

IMG_5043.JPG

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Looks like the vast majority have shunned todays launch and bought nothing.  If we are to believe their votes.

We presume the collectors, investors & flippers are not involved today and it is Westminster Mint, London Mint Office & Harrington & Byrne type of buyers hoovering stuff up today taking up 50,000+ places in the queues all day 

IMG_5043.JPG

Out of curiosity… How many people took that poll?

I really appreciate that this is mint to order.  It allows everyone who wants something to order it over the next 3 months.  Sure, the value will not be as great as a strictly limited edition.  But, this takes the flippers and high-profit dealers out of the picture until the end of December.  We won't know what the mintages will be until January.  I really don't care because I just want the coins for my collection as a part of history.  I wasn't collecting coins in 1951, so I wasn't able to get QEII's inaugural coins.  (I was more concerned with what was in my diaper than in my piggy bank! 🤪)

1 hour ago, Paul said:

IMG_5043.JPG

If you ever needed proof that everybody's a flipper.

Nobody interested in coins that have little potential to increase in value.

https://crawleycoins.co.uk/collections/queen-elizabeth-ii-memorial-coins/

If these coins are being discounted already one day of release by dealers it’s not looking good folks…..does it  matter if you have over paid today as you are “Real collectors” or are you not slightly miffed they RM has cashed in and will mint as many as people will buy?  It’s that not the point of a proof coin that it’s carries some exclusivity with limited numbers? 

0368B425-D261-4255-8DA3-0B8AB43C45A8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It’s that not the point of a proof coin that it’s carries some exclusivity with limited numbers? 

With unlimited mintage many are destined for the pot I would have thought.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Everybody expects a proof coin to go up in value.... It's all part of the appeal. Whenever I tell my family I've bought a piece of gold or silver they expect it to have made profit before it's even delivered. They don't get the concept that gold and silver goes up and down... They just think I'm loaded and stupid. It's laughable to think the majority of people only collect these types of  coins because they like them and not their future value. Gold is only valuable because it's a limited material. Again part of the appeal. Take that away and it's worth as much as a baked bean tin. 

It's hard to know what to make of today's releases. The 50p is a great looking coin, the first RM bust of Charles is very good in my opinion, and the reverse is also a winner. Does the mintage bother me? - not particularly, £60 for proof silver 50p is the going rate, for me it's to keep, not flip.

The ounce coin and the crown I think look awful. The portraits of the Queen are lamentable. Overall they look like TDC or Cook Islands coins. Not for me.

All in all I think RM would have been better giving this release a miss, but money talks...

3 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Everybody expects a proof coin to go up in value.... It's all part of the appeal. Whenever I tell my family I've bought a piece of gold or silver they expect it to have made profit before it's even delivered. They don't get the concept that gold and silver goes up and down... They just think I'm loaded and stupid. It's laughable to think the majority of people only collect these types of  coins because they like them and not their future value. Gold is only valuable because it's a limited material. Again part of the appeal. Take that away and it's worth as much as a baked bean tin. 

Baked beans are worth a fortune. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, TheShinyStuff said:

It's hard to know what to make of today's releases. The 50p is a great looking coin, the first RM bust of Charles is very good in my opinion, and the reverse is also a winner. Does the mintage bother me? - not particularly, £60 for proof silver 50p is the going rate, for me it's to keep, not flip.

The ounce coin and the crown I think look awful. The portraits of the Queen are lamentable. Overall they look like TDC or Cook Islands coins. Not for me.

All in all I think RM would have been better giving this release a miss, but money talks...

Have to agree the 50p and the new bust looks great. The others should've never made it past the design stage

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Baked beans are worth a fortune. 

🤣

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://crawleycoins.co.uk/product/2022-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-memorial-2-oz-gold-proof/

£155 discount on the 2oz gold if anyone fancies taking a gamble on it - sold out at the Mint 

Even the limited release coins are being discounted! FFS! What was the point of this release?

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Even the limited release coins are being discounted! FFS! What was the point of this release?

Literally to just mark an event for everyone. And why not .... Give it a few weeks and you can be the proud owner of one as well but at a lower price than today's release price. I might get a couple of they come down lower.