• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Charles III portrait coins

On 30/09/2022 at 13:49, LawrenceChard said:

Sure, it is based ot the 1953 and 1960 crownsL

But it looks like we need to find a cleaner coin to re-photograph.

😎

On 30/09/2022 at 13:59, westminstrel said:

Yep. It feels like a bit of a bookend to have the 1953 Coronation Crown reverse on the reverse of Charles III’s first 50p. Using it as a Crown again would’ve felt like a bit on the nose. I like how they chose to reuse the concept with the little 1953 switching to 2022.

I didn’t know it was used in 1960 too so thanks for pointing it out. Will have to read up and see the story behind that.

Cleaner and better photos:

1953ElizabethIICoronationOrdinaryCirculationCrown5shillingsrevcrop.thumb.jpg.bdcef6449df22238d9105367482b394b.jpg

1953 above, and:

1960BritishNewYorkExhibitionCrownCoinBaseMetalrevcrop.thumb.jpg.b8e7cd145a88e16642b71f414f52e2a3.jpg

😎

Chards

I think in January when these are delivered and people already struggling with bills now are facing the reality of paying for Xmas and those living month to month have spent there early December pay the market will be flooded with these.

Especially as most buyers of this will not be knowledgeable about what they've just bought this will be a bad investment for many who can I'll afford it, it actually feels a bit predatory from the mint, there was no need to make these proofs.

Wouldn't shock me to see these sell for spot price

Edited by apachebleu

7 hours ago, paulmerton said:

2346 x £5 silver proof piedforts

19 x 50p gold proof piedforts

6 x £5 platinum proof piedforts

1942 x 50p silver proof piedforts

Very interesting 

Aaaahhh😉

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I wonder what sovereign launch day will be like very soon ???? 

Five sovereign proof or bust 

Are you in @GoldDiggerDave???

6 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

… would you still be in if it has a “purchase window” instead of a maximum mintage…? 🤔

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Nope . No stated mintage no buy for  me 

6 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Think a lot of folks I’ll be thinking along those lines… fingers crossed for you, I certainly won’t be competing with that particular coin! ☺️

I’ve been pondering over this since yesterday and I’m beginning to think the RM may not go down the “purchase window” path for the 2023 Sovereign, simply because the Sovereign has a bullion counterpart which is unlimited in mintage.

In the case of the memorial range, the only way to get some of the designs (50p and the two-portrait £5) is by purchasing the proofs.

10 hours ago, Paul said:

I wonder what sovereign launch day will be like very soon ???? 

Five sovereign proof or bust 

Are you in @GoldDiggerDave???

I went to bed early, I’ve got a feeling the reason why they are taking orders for this launch now and kicking it over the fence until January is to keep the pre Christmas Sovereign slot open……..

What a complete S show yesterday why anyone would buy a proof coin for RRP on day of launch with out a maximum mintage are stupid especially when they have until end of December to place an order.

agree with what @apachebleu said once the hype dies down and the people who have bought them have had Christmas to pay for and a few months high energy costs they will be dumping the expensive ones way less than RRP. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

12 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

I just had a Royal Mail email saying my parcel from TRM is on the way....

Can't be this one surely!? I would imagine it's one of my other returns....we will see!

I've had the same, followed by it'll be with me today. Although I am still waiting on the 2022 annual set I ordered (wasn't expecting that until December).. 

15 minutes ago, mustynewb said:

I've had the same, followed by it'll be with me today. Although I am still waiting on the 2022 annual set I ordered (wasn't expecting that until December).. 

I’ve also had a email it’s the 2022 annual sets 

Also for what good it has done me I have sent the RM sales team an email to say they got the launch wrong, especially the high end 50ps the masses would not hoover up gold piedforts at 2.4k and even the gold and platinum ones so they should have had a limited mintage for them.

They don’t have a clue what the demand would be so they have lit up the minting presses like Liz has done with our cash……the same result everything becomes devalued. 

Fine if they wanted everyone to have the opportunity to buy one then base metal BU’s and possibly the silvers…….come on the silvers  are not a keepsake are they? Most  will tone by Summer 2023 and sent back for a refund. 

it’s been a badly managed cash in by the RM, especially when people realise they put their prices up over the weekend just before the launch……suppose they wanted everyone to have one at the higher price. 

as much as a positive spin the RM puts on this anyone can see the mangers are clueless and many of them know nothing about coins and even less about us the people who buy them. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Also for what good it has done me I have sent the RM sales team an email to say they got the launch wrong, especially the high end 50ps the masses would not hoover up gold piedforts at 2.4k and even the gold and platinum ones so they should have had a limited mintage for them.

They don’t have a clue what the demand would be so they have lit up the minting presses like Liz has done with our cash……the same result everything becomes devalued. 

Fine if they wanted everyone to have the opportunity to buy one then base metal BU’s and possibly the silvers…….come on the silvers  are not a keepsake as they? Most  will tone by Summer 2023 and sent back for a refund. 

it’s been a badly managed cash in by the RM, especially when people realise they put their prices up over the weekend just before the launch……suppose they wanted everyone to have one at the higher price. 

as much as a positive spin the RM puts on this anyone can see the mangers are clueless and many of them know nothing about coins and even less about us the people who buy them. 

You sound like Barry!

Has anyone heard from him recently?

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

You sound like Barry!

Has anyone heard from him recently?

😎

It just shows the RM up for what it is, it was scared of getting it wrong so has an unlimited cash in, dealers are already selling these less than RRP on day of launch. 

I’ll pick up a cheap gold 50p in January. 

I am hoping for 2oz gold unmilled coronation crown next year, but no doubt will have to pay up front for 2045 delivery. 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It just shows the RM up for what it is, it was scared of getting it wrong so has an unlimited cash in, dealers are already selling these less than RRP on day of launch. 
I’ll pick up a cheap gold 50p in January. 
I am hoping for 2oz gold unmilled coronation crown next year, but no doubt will have to pay up front for 2045 delivery. 

You probably know that we at @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer do try to offer new RM products at competitive prices, and have been doing so since about 1999.

What you may not know is that the RM have flip-flopped between direct sales, where they can control the prices, and using distributors, where it is more difficult to do so.

As they have a de-facto monopoly in the production of UK coins, it is too easy for them to use and abuse this monopoly, and really should have ethical long-term policies in place to ensure they do not illegally or unethically restrain trade and competition. 

For many years, the Royal Mint chose not to supply our business directly. I firmly believe that one factor in this was that some of the RM management viewed us a competitors, which is fair enough, but that they also applied policies, and made decisions, to restrict our ability to compete with the Mint, and that those decisions were anti-competitive, and probably illegal. Proving this would not be easy, but I do have evidence of it, some of which I have aired on previous occasions.

As we now deal directly with the RM for bullion products, I have recently been slightly more reserved in my criticism of them. In theory, their commemorative coin department appear to have agreed to supply us, in principle at least, but have been too busy to complete our onboarding process. Otherwise, our prices for certain high value issues could and would have been sharper (lower) for many years. One result of this is that many collectors, stackers, and investors have paid higher prices than they otherwise might have been able to for their coins.

😎

Chards

As I mentioned, I buy coins for the joy of collecting and not to sell quickly for a profit.  As such, whatever the RM (or U.S. Mint) were to do to make it easier for me to buy the coins I like without succumbing to chaos, I'm in favor of it.  Here in the U.S., we have gone through hell at times purchasing from the U.S. Mint - pure bedlam on sale dates.  The U.S. Mint solved a lot of problems by instituting coin subscriptions while still maintaining limited mintages.  The only thing with these QEII memorial coins is I wish we knew in advance that they are mint to order so I would not have had to wake up at 3 a.m. yesterday.  I recently purchased a Netherlands Golden Ducat, which was mint to order only for the month of May.  Before May 1 and after May 31, you could not order the coin.

if you are still lookin for 10oz and 5 oz of 2022  Great Britain Ounce Range: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II .999 Silver Proof,

the LPM is selling it for reasonable price. The shipping is free with order +$500

https://www.lpm.hk/en/catalog/product/view/id/13060/s/2022-10oz-great-britain-ounce-range-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-999-silver-proof-coin/category/811/

https://www.lpm.hk/en/catalog/product/view/id/13061/s/2022-5oz-great-britain-ounce-range-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-999-silver-proof-coin/category/811/

image.thumb.png.27a960145277a1b3b0a9d4991c906148.png

image.thumb.png.03d4e5b49f945a206eee32d7e7cea3dc.png

In my experience 'mint to order' has worked favourably for previous coin runs - mainly because the RM have historically bad advertising and notification budgets/processes*. Most people wouldn't be aware that an item was even for sale before production ceased. Examples being the 2016 silver sixpence or the 2009 'Blue Peter' 50 pence coins. 

This time around the media coverage coupled with a significant historical event has made these items more widely known.  The 3 month production run on the silver proofs makes sense for a company who want to maximise profits whilst maintaining a semblance of 'exclusivity'.

There will be a lot of casual purchases of these coins (simply because they are a hot item) which will end up on the secondary market. I will be getting a silver proof 50p (because i like the look of it) probably around Feb/Mar 2023 and i'm hoping to pay around £20 for it 😁

* I'm still awaiting RM notification of the first King Charles coins !

Edited by TeaTime
Reasons

If they stop production of these coins on December 31, there will be a mintage limit.  We just don't know what it is at this time.  We could be surprised and mintages will be less than we think.  Then again, there could be a huge rush to buy these at the end of December.  However, we will have a 3-month track record.  If these have not sold as well as expected in the 3-month window, I doubt that dealers would buy large quantities and tie up their inventories.  We shall see, I guess.

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

If they stop production of these coins on December 31, there will be a mintage limit.  We just don't know what it is at this time.  We could be surprised and mintages will be less than we think.  Then again, there could be a huge rush to buy these at the end of December.  However, we will have a 3-month track record.  If these have not sold as well as expected in the 3-month window, I doubt that dealers would buy large quantities and tie up their inventories.  We shall see, I guess.

Royal mint don't have a great reputation for publishing mintage after the fact. Not like other mints.

Never been able to get true mintage figures for silver bullion Britannias since 2011 despite freedom of information requests to the mint direct 

On 03/10/2022 at 14:28, paulmerton said:

it shows the available order quantity in the HTML source.

can you make a screenshot where I can find the numbers?

there are more than 4000 lines there

thanks

On 03/10/2022 at 10:15, Darr3nG said:

Even the limited release coins are being discounted! FFS! What was the point of this release?

Why are they selling it at discount when the royal mint has run out of them in first hour?