• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

selling a large collection of shiny stuff

Clarkatroid

Well  im so fed up with trying to sell my collection of gold and silver on ebay i dont even know where to start here but here goes.

The cliffnotes are........basically i have a large collection of bullion, some 50 1kg silver bars 4 5kg bars coin rolls, individual sets . gold lots of of different stuff, sovereign sets etc. about 150k in total that ive held for 10 years minimum. A new business venture has presented itsself so ive decided to liquidate my collection, regrettfully. I say regrettfully as i love owning my collection but it is what it is and the time is right for me

Anyway i thought id take advantage of the 80% off sellers fees, and listed the max , aka 100 items, as this promotion is the only cost effective way of selling on ebay imho. OMG the problems have been unbelievable ive been left so stressed with scammers trying it on left right and centre, and as a result ebay now have 22 grand on hold because of disputes from 3 sellers

Ive been that stressed that ive now decided to delist all the remaining items in order to get a sleepless night. 

So now im looking at other avenues to sell so, i thought id come here and see if you guys want to do some deals. im not going to fire sale anything as im not desperate to off load but id like too. What im ideally looking for is to sell my stuff off too over the next 4 weeks, so anyone interested in a bulk purchases would be great. i dont really want to be selling stuff individually as i havent got the time and theres too much to list. but trust me i have some really cool stuff like 2x engelhard 1kg bars, a really old double soveign a mexican pesos, a silver balboa to name but a few

my ideal scenario is to sell at a fair price to just a few buyers, or even more ideally do a deal with 1 person for the lot. i cant let the silver go to dealers as the prices are stupid, i cant sell on ebay for security reasons, so here i am chaps

• Founder & Administrator

Should you wish to list any items on The Silver Forum, please make a listing in the applicable trade section.

Please also make sure you have read the required Quickstart guide to trading as it contains useful and important information about trading on the forum. 

UK QuickStart Guide
EU QuickStart Guide
USA & Canada QuickStart Guide

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hey bud. You should get plenty of interest here but like @Tn21 said... Don't expect top dollar. As you've no sellers feedback yet either I'd imagine whoever is interested in buying, especially bulk like you'd prefer, they'd want to pay after delivery so don't be surprised if that's requested. There's an intermediary service provided by @BackyardBullion who will work as a middle man to make sure both parties act fairly. If you get at least a silver membership to make several sales posts it will open you up to more sales more quickly. Good luck with your sale and I hope that you get some sleep eventually 🤣👍

1 hour ago, Tn21 said:

seems interesting, this is a great place to sell, but dont expect top doller

@Tn21 got ya snipers rifle primed mate ;)

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

My suggestion for a quick, safe and simple parting of all your gold at a fair price is to contact HGM or any of the other well known PM dealers.
I did this a few years ago by visiting in person HGM in Hatton Garden and handing them a bag of gold sovereigns and Britannias.
Later the same day I had the cash in my bank account.
You may get close to spot price but expect less.

As for liquidating your silver you may get spot price from most big dealers but your silver is worth to private buyers at minimum spot + 20% to take into account VAT.
If you really wanted to clear your silver you can list here for spot + 20% and likely get it sold literally the same day, maybe a little longer for the kg bars.
The more premium you add the longer it will take to sell and may not sell so its trading speed vs net proceeds.

As you are new on this site with no trading history etc you my find it problematic receiving payment in advance.
There will be work arounds e.g. PayPal goods & services with a fee but giving buyer protection.

All seasoned regular buyers on this forum are well-informed and shop around for best prices so undercutting all the main players will be necessary to move your inventory quickly. However bear in mind that private buyers will be nervous buying from a total stranger and may not be willing to take the risk to save a nominal amount at the end of the day.

Hope this advice helps.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

My suggestion for a quick, safe and simple parting of all your gold at a fair price is to contact HGM or any of the other well known PM dealers.
I did this a few years ago by visiting in person HGM in Hatton Garden and handing them a bag of gold sovereigns and Britannias.

As for liquidating your silver you may get spot price from most big dealers but your silver is worth to private buyers at minimum spot + 20% to take into account VAT.
If you really wanted to clear your silver you can list here for spot + 20% and likely get it sold literally the same day, maybe a little longer for the kg bars.
The more premium you add the longer it will take to sell and may not sell so its trading speed vs net proceeds.

As you are new on this site with no trading history etc you my find it problematic receiving payment in advance.
There will be work arounds e.g. PayPal goods & services with a fee but giving buyer protection.

All seasoned regular buyers on this forum are well-informed and shop around for best prices so undercutting all the main players will be necessary to move your inventory quickly. However bear in mind that private buyers will be nervous buying from a total stranger and may not be willing to take the risk to save a nominal amount at the end of the day.

Hope this advice helps.

There is one just a few miles down the road from him in Blackpool.

Clarkatroid's ebay listings show his address as Thornton-Cleveleys, United Kingdom, just round the corner from where I live.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

19 hours ago, Clarkatroid said:

Well  im so fed up with trying to sell my collection of gold and silver on ebay i dont even know where to start here but here goes.

The cliffnotes are........basically i have a large collection of bullion, some 50 1kg silver bars 4 5kg bars coin rolls, individual sets . gold lots of of different stuff, sovereign sets etc. about 150k in total that ive held for 10 years minimum. A new business venture has presented itsself so ive decided to liquidate my collection, regrettfully. I say regrettfully as i love owning my collection but it is what it is and the time is right for me

Anyway i thought id take advantage of the 80% off sellers fees, and listed the max , aka 100 items, as this promotion is the only cost effective way of selling on ebay imho. OMG the problems have been unbelievable ive been left so stressed with scammers trying it on left right and centre, and as a result ebay now have 22 grand on hold because of disputes from 3 sellers

Ive been that stressed that ive now decided to delist all the remaining items in order to get a sleepless night. 

So now im looking at other avenues to sell so, i thought id come here and see if you guys want to do some deals. im not going to fire sale anything as im not desperate to off load but id like too. What im ideally looking for is to sell my stuff off too over the next 4 weeks, so anyone interested in a bulk purchases would be great. i dont really want to be selling stuff individually as i havent got the time and theres too much to list. but trust me i have some really cool stuff like 2x engelhard 1kg bars, a really old double soveign a mexican pesos, a silver balboa to name but a few

my ideal scenario is to sell at a fair price to just a few buyers, or even more ideally do a deal with 1 person for the lot. i cant let the silver go to dealers as the prices are stupid, i cant sell on ebay for security reasons, so here i am chaps

Much of this puzzles me.

"ebay now have 22 grand on hold because of disputes from 3 sellers"

Is this because you have failed to pay them?

"Ive been that stressed that ive now decided to delist all the remaining items in order to get a sleepless night. "

If I want a sleepless night, I just have 5 double espresso (espressi?) before I go to bed.

Not all prices at dealers are stupid, although it may depend on your viewpoint.

If dealers only ever offered stupid prices (by which I presume you mean less than you are expecting), they would hardly ever buy any stock, and would rapidly go out of business.

Have you tried any local dealers?

"OMG the problems have been unbelievable ive been left so stressed with scammers trying it on left right and centre"

My default assumption is that anybody and everybody selling on ebay is a scammer until there is good evidence to the contrary.

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Hope this advice helps.

thankyou very much sound advice. 

7 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

Big mistake trying to sell your stack on scammers paradise, I mean ebay, but I think you realise that now...

mate you wouldnt even believe it. when i get time ill post some screenshots. just had a brick returned to me today instead of 2x metalor bars. ive 27k withheld now. and rising. but fortunately ive only 6 or so items left to run on there. now ive got to deal with ebay to get these cases found in my favour. ill take them to court if i get stitched up here. you live and learn but boy this has been a tough one. just feels like im just stood on the street handing out free gold and silver

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Much of this puzzles me.

"ebay now have 22 grand on hold because of disputes from 3 sellers"

Is this because you have failed to pay them?

"Ive been that stressed that ive now decided to delist all the remaining items in order to get a sleepless night. "

If I want a sleepless night, I just have 5 double espresso (espressi?) before I go to bed.

Not all prices at dealers are stupid, although it may depend on your viewpoint.

If dealers only ever offered stupid prices (by which I presume you mean less than you are expecting), they would hardly ever buy any stock, and would rapidly go out of business.

Have you tried any local dealers?

"OMG the problems have been unbelievable ive been left so stressed with scammers trying it on left right and centre"

My default assumption is that anybody and everybody selling on ebay is a scammer until there is good evidence to the contrary.

😎

the gold prices are fine lawrence, ive actually sold 2 clumps of gold in last 12 months to you guys at chards and id highly recommend your place. i acrually sold my last batch at hatton though as they offered .5% better rate. but selling silver to dealers is a big no go price wise imho. hence why im here

40 minutes ago, Clarkatroid said:

the gold prices are fine lawrence, ive actually sold 2 clumps of gold in last 12 months to you guys at chards and id highly recommend your place. i acrually sold my last batch at hatton though as they offered .5% better rate. but selling silver to dealers is a big no go price wise imho. hence why im here

Ah, good to hear from you.

I had grave doubts about your bona fides on here, for a number of reasons, as you may read.

Sorry about that, and hope it goes well.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

If you don't have lots of experience, history and feedback on ebay you'll struggle to sell high value coins without a ton of trouble from scammers etc, as you've discovered. Things are likely to get even worse in the future in the ongoing economic climate as well.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If you don't have lots of experience, history and feedback on ebay you'll struggle to sell high value coins without a ton of trouble from scammers etc, as you've discovered. Things are likely to get even worse in the future in the ongoing economic climate as well.

yeah true, im starting to think my best option is to cherry pick the good stuff, keep that,  and just liquidate the rest at hatton garden metals. ive used them b4 and they were great. my situation is fwiw ive bought a house via auction and its a cracking deal. got a month to complete so need the funds for this. so what ill lose at the dealers versus trying to eek out another few quid privately is my conundrum

I think this is a problem putting all your eggs in the PM basket. Trying to sell it all in one go for a reasonable price can be a big headache.  I have used the 80% over time and listed a few items but not too many in one go if I needed some cash. I've basically stopped now as I was selling nice shields for less than £400 and then seeing higher prices for basically ordinary modern stuff. I got fed up with it and all the stupid offers.... my plan is to use my coins as a pension fund. That's my plan . To drip feed the odd coin if and when needed in retirement.  Or if i drop dead then there's something to pass on to family without the tax man getting getting he's share. Good luck trying to get the best price possible. 

Edited by pricha

On 08/09/2022 at 22:04, Clarkatroid said:

yeah true, im starting to think my best option is to cherry pick the good stuff, keep that,  and just liquidate the rest at hatton garden metals. ive used them b4 and they were great. my situation is fwiw ive bought a house via auction and its a cracking deal. got a month to complete so need the funds for this. so what ill lose at the dealers versus trying to eek out another few quid privately is my conundrum

You would almost certainly get a better price at a dealer near you, than from HGM, who only seem to pay about 97% or thereabouts, according to numerous posts on TSF.

You could also get paid the same day if it's under a £1 million.

😎

Chards

i have mate yes, just got round to finalising the inventory. here is it for your perusal

Silver
4x5kg umicore
43x1kg metalor (4 without certificates)
27x 1kg umicore (20 wrapped never opened)
11x rolls of 20 1oz 2011 silver eagles ( bought new, and untouched since)
4x rolls of 20 1oz Austrian Phiharmonics 2011(bought new)
4x rolls of 25 Guernsey Doubles 2011 (bought new)
1kg valcambi silver bar
1kg argor heraus (wrapped)
1kg credit suisse
1kg degussa
750kg baird 3 bar set(lovely looking kit these)
40x franklin mint michelangelo coins
36x silver 1oz philis
2x1oz 1987 proof libertads
1oz silver roo
1976 montreal olyimpics 4 coin set
2005 2 coin set nelson(huge coins)
2005 1 dollar proof eagle
2007 1 dollar proof maple
2007 1oz kookaburra
box churchill centenary medals (24 coins) in original folder
box of 18 royal navy coin set
1oz proof in box with COA

gold
1x10 tola bar credit suisse
3x 100g bars, pamp, emirates, umicore
1887 double sovereign(one of my favourate pieces)
1974 proof double sovereign
1974 proof sov
1904 1oz double eagle
2x 1915 1oz corona restrikes
4x 1oz maples 2011
2x 1oz 2011 libertys
1x 1oz liberty 1908
1x 1oz liberty 1922
1x1887 1oz eagle (cool coin)
1x 1974 quintuple proof
1x 1996 euros footy proof, boxed £2 coin
1oz shepard coin boxed
4x 1/2 sov proof boxed
1x 1/2 sov boxed
1x 2006 sov proof in embeded in card
1oz lesotho year of the child boxed
2002 3 coins set, double , sov and 1/2 sov
£5 2000 proof coin
£5 regina proof
£5 2000 proof sov

7 hours ago, sixgun said:

Well you started this thread a week ago. In that time you could have put up a lot of stuff in the selling section.
You are going to have to post photos and put up prices if you do sell through the silver forum, but you will have to do that anywhere.
A rule of the forum is you have to put up an asking price unless you are selling by auction.
Start with something. You don't need to run multiple selling pages - you can put a list up with price and images. A few lower value items. You could use someone like @BackyardBullion as an intermediary for a few items to get some feedback and then go it alone. 
Selling on ebay is the pits - riddled with criminals - i personally was friendly with a guy who sold fakes and also would claim something was wrong with goods received and send back a fake. He even scammed me but after action taken it cost him dearly and i got my value back. Some members sell there but you only need to get stung once + the selling fees for the trades that go well and you are losing over what you would get on TSF. 

i would used BYB for a few sales, get yourself a bit of feedback and then go from there. You must already have the photos if you put stuff up on ebay. 

problem i canr frigging figure out how to transfer the files from my new laptop. hard work being 51 in 2022 on the web but ill stick at ill get there. this is all i can get on for now, had to use nearby share from phone one by one to get these on. and its bedtime ive had enough lol

1663193686178.jpg

1663193686175.jpg

1663193686172.jpg

1663193686169.jpg

1663193686165.jpg

1663193686161.jpg

1663193686157.jpg

1663193686153.jpg

1663193686149.jpg

1663193543602.jpg

1663193543595.jpg

1663193543584.jpg

1663193093386.jpg

750kg baird 3 bar set(lovely looking kit these)

Surely this is a typo? what did you get it delivered in a tank?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

@LawrenceChard have you got ya calculator out right now?

giphy.gif