• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Platinum Jubilee SOTD Sovereign

Zhorro

Just out of curiosity how well did some of the older special year Sovereign SOTDs do? I bought a regular 2022 Proof Sovereign in the fall and am on the fence about trying for one of these.

1 hour ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Really nice seeing these pop up for sale on Coin Connection earlier. I've had terrible luck with the queue system the last few releases so it was nice to be able to order a desired coin completely stress free. Look forward to seeing it some time in Feb!

I've also ordered one through the Coin Connection.  It means I can sit back and watch the fun when the RM starts selling them.  I think the fact that both Chards and the Coin Connection sold all their pre-order coins within a couple of hours means that this should be a very popular release.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

2 minutes ago, Mario007 said:

I ordered the 2022 sovereign I choose the option to be enrolled for the next realise and I was wondering if that included the realise of SOTD too?

most likely not i'm afraid :( it will be 2023 proof sovereign you'll be pre-eligible for 

15 minutes ago, MJCOIN said:

Can't find that SOTD on Coin Connection.  Any other places you can pre-order from?

Yes, CC have sold out.  I've not heard from Allgoldcoins as to whether they are doing a pre-order for the SOTD - so it might be worth contacting them??  Back in November I pre-ordered my 2022 proof sovereign from them, so they might be doing a pre-order for the SOTD.

Just now, Zhorro said:

Yes, CC have sold out.  I've not heard from Allgoldcoins as to whether they are doing a pre-order for the SOTD - so it might be worth contacting them??  Back in November I pre-ordered my 2022 proof sovereign from them, so they might be doing a pre-order for the SOTD.

Yes, I did the same!

I'll PM him.

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

most likely not i'm afraid :( it will be 2023 proof sovereign you'll be pre-eligible for 

Thanks I was hoping, I have sent an email anyway, I'm trying my luck, anyway can you please point me where I can find more information about the past SOTD's?

17 minutes ago, Mario007 said:

Thanks I was hoping, I have sent an email anyway, I'm trying my luck, anyway can you please point me where I can find more information about the past SOTD's?

This is a listing of all the SOTD sovereigns from p.177 of "Coins of England & The United Kingdom: Decimal Issues" (2022 edition).  And don't forget to search the Forum.

Sotdpage001.JPG

On 06/12/2021 at 16:20, GoldStatue said:

The mintage for this one is going to be miniscule compared to demand.

I think the largest mintage for a SOTD sovereign was 1817 and the smallest was 650.

We still don't know what happened with the release (as demand was huge, but it did have quality issues and capsules routinely coming open during delivery) but the Sapphire Coronation 2018 is given by a few sources now as 323, and the George 5th Birthday as 457.

From 2019 onwards if I understand correctly the Mint got all secretive about mintages ('commercially sensitive information') and we only know the issue limit.

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Does anyone know if it will be plain edge like the 2017 ??

The Mint image shows a plain edge, and all previous Mattes have been, haven't they? It's only @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer (that I've seen) who have a milled edge image up not sure why (?)

Edited by kimchi

6 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

If it’s matte I'm out. Not a fan of any of the matte sovs. 

Me too, had the chance to get one but don't like any of the Mattes. It might do well (hopefully very well for all the folk here!) but compared to a glorious PL 2017 or 2018 Coronation Sapphire it's not something I was remotely tempted on at £675.

Quality is always a scare on these Mattes and 1200 in a day is a lot to strike (goodness knows how they managed so many 2017s).

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Nice to see a lower mintage, rather than upping it 

Might this add some added value ??

I still think it is a safe bet to buy and hold.  Little downside risk i see

2017 was obviously a very special and unique year for Sovs (and they blew people away with the design). They've almost doubled the Platinum Coronation numbers, the number I have to hand for the Platinum Accession is 739 (Coin News 'Coin Yearbook 2022' - I know, not the most accurate source). That said it could be Liz's last and is one to hold I'd suggest and not expect to make much on short-term (unless flipping quickly).

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

This is a listing of all the SOTD sovereigns from p.177 of "Coins of England & The United Kingdom: Decimal Issues" (2022 edition).  And don't forget to search the Forum.

Sotdpage001.JPG

I'm not sure that's entirely right given what other sources say about e.g. the Sapphire Coronation (323 - which admittedly is a very strange number indeed considering the high demand, despite all the quality issues and returns they had).

It's interesting to see they have the George's down as far as 485 (5th birthday 2018) and 301 (2nd birthday 2015). And, the Charlotte seems very high to me! 😮

@kimchi Fully agree and I am sure they will do great. Quality is a concern too because on a low mintage like this it’ll simply be a refund if it needs returned.

One thing I will say is although the 2017 has made money. Currently it trades for about the same as that years normal sovereign. In the grading slabs nobody probably cares. 

21 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

@kimchi Fully agree and I am sure they will do great. Quality is a concern too because on a low mintage like this it’ll simply be a refund if it needs returned.

One thing I will say is although the 2017 has made money. Currently it trades for about the same as that years normal sovereign. In the grading slabs nobody probably cares. 

Many thanks I didn't know that - I will hold onto my PCGS PF69UC (with error CoA) SotD for now then!

I'd be concerned that this is actually quite a high mintage for the Mint to produce so many Matte BUNCS considering the problems with many of the issues (apart from Brexit but who knows what happened with those?). But I wouldn't put anyone off who wants one and think it's an investment (as it may very well be) - in fact I'd say anyone who wants one should get two - better safe than sorry - send the second (worse) one back if no chance of a 70 and you need the funds!

Edited by kimchi

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

This year’s SotD has a lot going for it, I personally think…

It’s the first ever special reverse matt and pain edge Sovereign.

And its mintage is just 1,210 compared to 13,040 of the proof.

Lastly, you never know which SotD of QE II’s reign will be the last.

It will also be commemorating a very significant event in British history.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

This year’s SotD has a lot going for it, I personally think…

It’s the first ever special reverse matt and pain edge Sovereign.

And its mintage is just 1,210 compared to 13,040 of the proof.

Lastly, you never know which SotD of QE II’s reign will be the last.

You are really not helping my efforts not to buy this!

8 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I’m just worried the royal mint will over do it with the jubilee and the good ones will be watered down.     Then next your if the queen masked it that far it will be all coronation anniversary coins

This is why it is necessary to be very selective in what you buy.

9 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I’m just worried the royal mint will over do it with the jubilee and the good ones will be watered down.     Then next your if the queen masked it that far it will be all coronation anniversary coins

The mint are going to kick to arse out of this so I would be wary also, god knows what else they are going to release. I think they still need to work hard on getting the balance right between supplying what the market wants, making a profit and having excellent QC (which they have not)

All that said , I would love to see a special, once only, platinum sovereign this year, perhaps with a limit of 700?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

8 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

The SOTD is back available at Chards. Just had an email saying £790, but it's currently listed at £715. At a modest rise from RRP, that's still a great deal right?

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-platinum-jubilee-strike-on-the-day-sovereign/15791

Thank you for this news.  It is strange that the price has increased before it has even been issued!