• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Platinum Jubilee SOTD Sovereign

Zhorro

31 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

Isn’t this basically a bullion sovereign in a box for £800 ?

Yes, it's a matte coin but supposedly with a reverse matte finish (first ever) and plain edge (as opposed to milled).  This should differentiate it and identify it as a SOTD Sovereign.

14 minutes ago, James32 said:

🤣🤣🤣 2022 "the year of the twats"

Yep I'm one of them.......every ukin time now I write the date I get ptsd.

Hehe

I think these will do v well at 1200 mintage. Very few will be able to get from the mint who want them. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

33 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Yes, it's a matte coin but supposedly with a reverse matte finish (first ever) and plain edge (as opposed to milled).  

Be interesting to see reversed finish, basically the opposite of the proof 2022 frosted fields and proof design ?

34 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

People will only buy if they think it is special - which I do (and a very special event).

definitely be good for the country as a whole after the last few years and a added bank holiday what’s not to like 

Edited by magpie79

2 hours ago, magpie79 said:

Exactly that

but this is a special coin, because the royal mint says so ok 😂 

No. This is also a proof Sovereign (more strikes than the bullion) but with a full matte finish on both obverse and reverse. It also has a plain edge.

It is certainly not just a billion Sovereign in a box.

@SovereignBishop

Edited by westminstrel

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

No. This is also a proof Sovereign (more strikes than the bullion) but with a full matte finish on both obverse and reverse. Ir also has a plain edge.

@SovereignBishop

No. This is also a proof Sovereign (more strikes than the bullion) but with a full matte finish on both obverse and reverse. Ir also has a plain edge.

@SovereignBishop

If you grade this SOTD, what would it be graded as ? MS or PF ?

Edited by SovereignBishop
Typo

3 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

If you grade this SOTD, what would it be graded as ? MF or PF ?

PF. It is a Proof coin with a matte finish.

EDIT: My mistake. I did a quick Google and it looks like these matte proofs are assigned MS and not PF.  I never realized this because I don’t care much about grading.

Edited by westminstrel

There will be a battle for this coin on February 6.  With a mintage of just 1,200 and the appeal of the special occasion, the demand will far exceed the supply.  It’s already happening.  I expect the available coins will be snapped up in minutes when the Royal Mint opens the floodgates.  If you’re interested, better to lock in this coin before February 6 if you can find them and don’t mind spending more than the RRP.

3 hours ago, blackadder said:

Always thought the box was abit crappy on these types of coins lol :P 😂 could have done something different,coin looks lost in the box too.

This times 1,000

It is a very special event and one unlikely to be seen again for centuries, if not millenia (and assuming royalty even exists in the future !) …..the very least the Royal Mint should do, out of respect for the Queen and the event, is to produce an appropriate casing and box….the very least…

Edited by Oldun

8 hours ago, SovereignBishop said:

If you grade this SOTD, what would it be graded as ? MS or PF ?

Yep definitely ms 

I have two already in the Sotd series graded 

it would be a fantastic mini series to collection but there has been a few dud reasons for the striking on the day, silly I know, but at the premiums they demand on some you have to think of resale later on 

7 hours ago, blackadder said:

Always thought the box was abit crappy on these types of coins lol :P 😂 could have done something different,coin looks lost in the box too.

I totally agree.  The RRP of the SOTD is about £90 higher than the November proof, yet the box is just naff.

I really like the SOTD sovereigns they are something special for collectors with interest and premiums increasing each year . I managed to get a 2017 on the day and would never sell it 🙂

I very much doubt I will be able to get hold of the 2022 so will just enjoy the SOTD that I have . If one turns up later at auction or at the local dealer I might be lucky 😀

40 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I really like the SOTD sovereigns they are something special for collectors with interest and premiums increasing each year . I managed to get a 2017 on the day and would never sell it 🙂

I very much doubt I will be able to get hold of the 2022 so will just enjoy the SOTD that I have . If one turns up later at auction or at the local dealer I might be lucky 😀

I think as a collector, once you realise that you are never going to be able to obtain everything, then you can go back to enjoying collecting - and appreciating what you have rather than regretting what you don't have.

On 15/01/2022 at 11:21, Heirlooms said:

It's important to distinguish the differences between bullion, BU (brilliant Uncirculated) and Proof. Bullion and BU are often used interchangeably and therefore assumed that they are the same thing which isn't the case, the number of strikes, creation of the dies, the time taken on the full process is very different:

Bullion - 1 strike and machine finished. NGC grading designation MS

BU (brilliant Uncirculated) - 2 strikes and hand finished. NGC grading designation MS and usually followed by an additional description to differentiate from bullion coins eg MATTE or DPL (deep proof like)

Proof - 6 strikes and hand finished. NGC designation PF

Here's a link on the Royal Mint's site that summaries the differences in a little more detail than above:

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/coin-collecting/striking-standards/

Here's a video produced by the Royal Mint that goes deeper into the differences in the creation process between the 3. Only 5 minutes long and very informative:

/

The BU sovereign get the same number of strikes as a proof sovereign…….I know I counted them.  I think they class some as BU as it does not interfere with the mintage figures released at the start of the year……as for the quality my 2018 BU SOTD is a far superior finish than any proof sovereign that I’ve bought in recent years.  The mid 2000 proof sovereigns are miles better quality than proof sovereigns they are making now. 

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The BU sovereign get the same number of strikes as a proof sovereign…….I know I counted them.  I think they class some as BU as it does not interfere with the mintage figures released at the start of the year……as for the quality my 2018 BU SOTD is a far superior finish than any proof sovereign that I’ve bought in recent years.  The mid 2000 proof sovereigns are miles better quality than proof sovereigns they are making now. 

How about the finish, in terms of contrast between glossy and matte portions?

2 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

How about the finish, in terms of contrast between glossy and matte portions?

This is pure matte.  I believe that the regular bullion Sovereigns are more glossy.  I do like the matte finish.  The SOTD Sovereign also has a plain edge, while all other Sovereigns have a milled edge.

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

This is pure matte.  I believe that the regular bullion Sovereigns are more glossy.  I do like the matte finish.  The SOTD Sovereign also has a plain edge, while all other Sovereigns have a milled edge.

I was asking GoldDiggerDave whether he thought the finish, in terms of the contrast betwen polished/mirror finish and matte finish is the same in his eyes on the BU and proof sovereigns. The proof coins I have are incredibly well finished and have mirror/glossy polished regions, which the BU coins in my collection don't have.

5 minutes ago, mustynewb said:

Do these normally go on at midnight?

9 am but best to be trying to join queue from around 8.25am.....still no guarantee you will get less than number 40000

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Timberwolf said:

I was asking GoldDiggerDave whether he thought the finish, in terms of the contrast betwen polished/mirror finish and matte finish is the same in his eyes on the BU and proof sovereigns. The proof coins I have are incredibly well finished and have mirror/glossy polished regions, which the BU coins in my collection don't have.

I don' t have the 2017 proof to compare, but the Pistrucci Anniversary Strike on the Day of the same year looks similar to a proof (in grading terms PL - Proof Like) in terms of contrast. However that year's proof may be even more stunning, I don't know - I've never had both in hand at the same time.

For 2018 I have both Proofs and SotDs (Sapphire Coronation). The Coronations are very close, they are absolutely stunning strikes, but the frosting (matte) and polished fields are slightly better (deeper, clearer) on the proofs. It is clear to me they had higher quality dies and/or more strikes.

I don't have any 2019/20/21 proofs but I was quite shocked when I got my 2022s just how much less impressive they were than either the 2017 SotD or 2018 (both Proof and SotD), just as Dave says. I'd be very interested indeed to find out when the quality dropped and if it was dramatic, or a gradual decline from 2019 onwards.

In any case, from 2019 the SotDs have been Matte, so can't be compared to regular Proofs (maybe they did this deliberately?!!).

Edited by kimchi