• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Platinum Jubilee SOTD Sovereign

Zhorro

Over the weekend, a dealer confirmed that there will be a SOTD Platinum Jubilee Sovereign.  I think most of us were expecting this, but it is nice to have some sort of confirmation - especially given the Royal Mint's policy of not telling people what and when things are going to be released!

I presume the SOTD will be 6th February 2022.

At least this will be marking a historically significant event.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

15 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Over the weekend, a dealer confirmed that there will be a SOTD Platinum Jubilee Sovereign.  I think most of us were expecting this, but it is nice to have some sort of confirmation - especially given the Royal Mint's policy of not telling people what and when things are going to be released!

I presume the SOTD will be 6th February 2022.

At least this will be marking a historically significant event.

More expenses ! :(  

4 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

The mintage for this one is going to be miniscule compared to demand.

I think the largest mintage for a SOTD sovereign was 1817 and the smallest was 650.

Although I wouldn't mind a plain rim version of the 2022 sovereign I'm not sure I'd have a hope in hells chance of getting it.

The mintage for the 2021 SOTD for the Queen's 95th Birthday was 1,295 - but it did sell out in a day.

If you don't want to experience the RM queue, watch out for dealers taking pre-orders.

IMO the best SOTD sovereign was george's 5th Birthday 2018.   It's as close to an un milled proof sovereign as your likely to get and it's does not have those horrid Privy tattoos 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave
typo

• 5 weeks later...

The Royal Mint is publicising the SOTD sovereign:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/the-platinum-jubilee-the-queen-celebration-sovereign/

Strike: 6th February 2022

Price £675, total mintage 1,210

Will have the JC portrait and not the Queen on Horseback.

This one took me by surprise. I knew the platinum jubilee coins were going to be released today, but forgot about the SOTD. It's an iconic special reverse matte...the first one in history. So I missed out, maybe I'll try to pick one up from someone.

Edited by goldmember44

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

This one took me by surprise. I knew the platinum jubilee coins were going to be released today, but forgot about the SOTD. It's an iconic special reverse matte...the first one in history. So I missed out, maybe I'll try to pick one up from someone.

You didn’t miss it. They have only advertised it today. It will be on sale on Feb 6.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Does anyone know if it will be plain edge like the 2017 ??

It is Matte and plain edge. 

19 minutes ago, Silverbrit24 said:

Is it worth picking one of these up? 

the equivalent 2017 SOTD plain edge sovereign has done decent, given its lowish mintage, 200 year significant anniversary, plain edge, matt finish and unique design 

I don't see no reason this should not do repeat the same over the 

Grade and hold for 5+ years should be at least double your money  

Edited by Paul

• Mintage of 2017 variant SOTD sovereign matt/plain edge = 1,817

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-JD9KB/2017-gold-sovereign-bu-plain-edge-pcgs-ms70-36727570

• Mintage of 2022 variant SOTD sovereign matt/plain edge = 1,200

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-platinum-jubilee-strike-on-the-day-sovereign/15791

• Mintage of the standard 2022 variant proof sovereign = 10,500

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/sovereign-2022-gold-coin/

Nice to see a lower mintage, rather than upping it 

Might this add some added value ??

I still think it is a safe bet to buy and hold.  Little downside risk i see