• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Platinum Jubilee SOTD Sovereign

Zhorro

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

9 am but best to be trying to join queue from around 8.25am.....still no guarantee you will get less than number 40000

It's much harder if you live across the pond.  9:00 am London time is 3:00 am for me.  I actually woke up at 3:00 am when the proof Sovereigns were released on November 15 and had the coin ordered with no problems by about 9:30 am London time.  They were still in stock at that time, but it seems the Royal Mint put me at the end of the line for shipping.  I got an e-mail that the Sovereign would not be shipped until mid-January.  Because I have already had a coin canceled by the Royal Mint, I did not want to take any chances, so I canceled my order and bought the coin from a dealer.  And, I received that coin a month before the Royal Mint would have shipped my original order.  It seems that buyers in Great Britain receive their orders well before they are even shipped to other countries.

2 minutes ago, JeffM said:

It's much harder if you live across the pond.  9:00 am London time is 3:00 am for me.  I actually woke up at 3:00 am when the proof Sovereigns were released on November 15 and had the coin ordered with no problems by about 9:30 am London time.  They were still in stock at that time, but it seems the Royal Mint put me at the end of the line for shipping.  I got an e-mail that the Sovereign would not be shipped until mid-January.  Because I have already had a coin canceled by the Royal Mint, I did not want to take any chances, so I canceled my order and bought the coin from a dealer.  And, I received that coin a month before the Royal Mint would have shipped my original order.  It seems that buyers in Great Britain receive their orders well before they are even shipped to other countries.

There is no rhyme nor reason in how the RM structure processing or delivery I'm afraid. 

Time difference is an awkward one but then again you could throw an all night party and have all your guests join the queue too 😉

Then any that manage to order something can stay.....just chuck the rest out😂

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Hang on

next you will tell us your not 32 either 😂 

Actually that's not my age but my first house door number.....I'd change it but my new door number is 1 (honest) and I'm afraid I'm come across as either a) a genius child ( bit of a stretch)....or b) a complete twat for calling himself james number 1 😅

17 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Hang on

next you will tell us your not 32 either 😂 

Ps, by your logic......your the oldest magpie to ever live.

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

Actually that's not my age but my first house door number.....I'd change it but my new door number is 1 (honest) and I'm afraid I'm come across as either a) a genius child ( bit of a stretch)....or b) a complete twat for calling himself james number 1 😅

Ps, by your logic......your the oldest magpie to ever live.

I would guess a lot wish we could go back and change r profile names 

me included 

79 is the year of birth 

Disclaimer magpie is not my real name though 😂 

12 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

I would guess a lot wish we could go back and change r profile names 

me included 

79 is the year of birth 

Disclaimer magpie is not my real name though 😂 

You actually can.....noticed a few have done recently but I think you have to contact the mods.

Not really a conversation I could have with a straight face🤣 

@kimchi For me the drop off in overall quality/workmanship of proof sovereigns  (don't get me wrong they are still vey nice) Is when the RM switched to the digital image/laser machined dies.   They are just very low relief compared to sovereigns only a year or two earlier.   I had a good spread of  2000's  proof sovereigns  in hand and they are just noticeably better quality than modern proof sovereigns.   I think it was 2019 (i might be wrong) when the very flat George and the Dragon reveres started to appear.   You really need to have a few years in hand in front of you and the quality difference is huge.  Again not saying they are bad that would be silly and the 2022 proof sovereign is a nice design, I just feel the technical skill and quality has been replaced by the new technological techniques it just feels like it's being mass produced and made to a price first rather than setting out to making the best possible.  

I'd love to see a modern proof sovereign on par with the quality of the gold gothic. 

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I think it was 2019 (i might be wrong) when the very flat George and the Dragon reveres started to appear.   You really need to have a few years in hand in front of you and the quality difference is huge.

I am not surprised (alas) and think you may be spot on about 2019, as well as the laser etching etc. I also expect you're right about the 2000s being better still than he 201xs (I'd have to go to storage to check).

My 2022s look perfect and I was excited to see the special reverse (despite it not being a favourite), but for the first time time ever I looked at them and just thought 'meh' (in terms of strike and presence).

:(

2 hours ago, JeffM said:

It seems that buyers in Great Britain receive their orders well before they are even shipped to other countries.

Not necessarily. Lots of UK buyers didn't receive their 2022 proof sovs until 2nd week january and the last trache of Gothic crowns have only just been received. 5oz ones still to be shipped.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'd love to see a modern proof sovereign on par with the quality of the gold gothic. 

56 minutes ago, kimchi said:

My 2022s look perfect

I've handled a lot of 2022 proof sovs and IMO they have been the best quality year I can remember.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Wow......I'm not saying anymore..except £715 for a sovreign...albeit a SOTD....is ridiculous, saying that if its something you really want that's cool...but (rip off springs to mind)....again with respect 🙂

It’s more than the proof of the same year but horses for courses.

2 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

It’s more than the proof of the same year but horses for courses.

Yes I understand but wat I don't like or understand that certain dealers place a premium on these coins of around  £400 for these coins.....leaves a very bad taste in my mouth hence I wouldn't purchase one pre-sale...to me its a complete p**s take..but that's just my opinion....maybe I should change career and be a bullion dealer and make tonnes of money from people who want these coins...maybe I've missed my vocation...hahaha..