• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why hold Gold….just look at Turkey

dicker

Erdogan is a complete fool but it clearly illustrates when people who have zero grasp of economic realities what can happen. As per usual it is the people who suffer. You can 100% guarantee Erdogan will be just fine.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Totally agree with you @dicker

I could hardly believe it when I heard his call for people to sell gold earlier this year.  (Although putting my cynical hat on,  I could easily believe it).

Holding, for example, a global equity tracker fund, or even a S&P 500 tracker for the USA would have helped preserve anybody's saving in Turkish Lire terms.  But gold deserves a place in everyone's long term wealth preservation strategy.

Might be dip buying opportunity in this pair

image.png.d33fd4dc8a2488f3f5766dace41c7547.png

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, dicker said:

This note was from 1999. TRL (as it was then) reached something like 1.7m to the USD by 2004.

This won’t end well for the Turkish people.

6868D2A7-BCE5-462E-BB0E-667B2EF5BE64.thumb.jpeg.08ded932328f6efbfc2c9e303c04d85d.jpeg

Here Ive fixed it for you....

image.thumb.png.e4cdd10d2847c8fcb4de3b7402675874.png

11 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Here Ive fixed it for you....

image.thumb.png.e4cdd10d2847c8fcb4de3b7402675874.png

Get this man working for the BOE!   He's a genius!  

Joking aside I've been watching what's been going on in Lebanon and it's nightmare inflation has took off the local currency is worthless.  Dollars on the other hand are worth 15-20x more so those getting paid in dollars or those holding dollars are becoming hyper rich.   Inflation is running so fast the shops can not change the prices on the goods fast enough.   

It's coming for all of us, it's only going to take the new British gas and Shell energy monopoly to ramp up prices in the first 1/4 of 2022 and you know the BOE are going to start raising interest rates to try and hold back inflation but it won't be anywhere close, we are likely to see a run  of 0.1% monthly increases starting December possibly well into 3/4 of 2022.

I still have my doubts about PM's   As much as I'd love for it to be revalued, and the estimates now are crazy per oz (I know anyone can say anything) but what I'm getting at on the day PM's go to the moon.........Who's going to be buying?

Cheers

Dave 

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

I remember, back in 2009, thinking that the Zimbabwean $100 trillion note would become collectible, so I bought one on eBay for £5. They are now selling for about £150. I should have had more conviction and bought a whole bunch.

Thats some expensive fiat  toilet roll right there

1 hour ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Thats some expensive fiat  toilet roll right there

Funny that you mention toilet roll, but apparently during the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe, the point was reached where if you bought a roll of toilet paper you were handing over more paper in banknotes than you were getting back in tissue. So, people did the predictable thing and started wiping themselves with banknotes and flushing them. The result was that it became common in public toilets to see a sign saying please don't flush banknotes because they block the toilet.

You can buy novelty banknote toilet paper on Amazon if you feel like showing the Federal Reserve or the Bank of England how you feel about their currency.

Kasstino Funny Novelty US Dollar Toilet Paper $100 Money Tissue Paper GiftHomestreet Novelty Money Bank Note Tissues Pack Choose £10, £20 50 Fake Sterling Notes TWENTY

7 hours ago, scotwasp said:

What a great listen, don’t know how much is correct, but fantastic stuff

another good listen about inflation in general

Edited by HerefordBullyun

I know Turkish people who told me that 25 years ago, the people ran to the exchange office when they got their salary to convert it in USD.

Savings were often made in gold, it's also cultural to give gold as a gift.

If the world was not so crazy this days, I would convert all my savings in gold but now I just keep on buying every month my salary in gold, which I don't need because I have other incomes. But in a crazy world, even my believe in gold is not sure any longer ...