• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

6 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

From memory the 2oz was £250 & 5oz was £555.

If you get hold of a 1oz- keep hold of it- it would be a rarity 😉 

This is going to be my first time actually buying something from the RM queue, do you think it's best to fund the account in advance? Or does it not really matter

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yanks :( capital one were mega generous with limits pre 2008, think bank of Ireland/post office back capital one now, sadly their target market seems to be the highest interest/risk category. Not saying you are, but not all credit cards are created equally 

😅😅😅 was part messing, first card was a capital one roughly 15 years ago and I got a £300 limit which at the time made me think I was a ganster with enough scope to travel the world 😁 

Long since progressed with my bank but I still get a green tick every month from capital one even though the card is long long lost and out of date🤷‍♂️

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, rlingford said:

This is going to be my first time actually buying something from the RM queue, do you think it's best to fund the account in advance? Or does it not really matter

Up to you, depends how fast you are with your trigger finger- I've never preloaded my RM account before, and just checked out using a Card- but I guess it would make sense to pre-load as the payment system often craps out.  Good luck in the bun fight.

Just to clarify- my 1oz pun was uncalled for- to be explicit, there hasn't been a 1oz Proof denomination in this series.  

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

😅😅😅 was part messing, first card was a capital one roughly 15 years ago and I got a £300 limit which at the time made me think I was a ganster with enough scope to travel the world 😁 

Long since progressed with my bank but I still get a green tick every month from capital one even though the card is long long lost and out of date🤷‍♂️

Green ticks make prizes :) small or good ! 

13 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Up to you, depends how fast you are with your trigger finger- I've never preloaded my RM account before, and just checked out using a Card- but I guess it would make sense to pre-load as the payment system often craps out.  Good luck in the bun fight.

Just to clarify- my 1oz pun was uncalled for- to be explicit, there hasn't been a 1oz Proof denomination in this series.  

I thought pre loading your RM account was only for bullion, due to price fluctuations. I don't think you can for commemorative coins.

8 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I thought pre loading your RM account was only for bullion, due to price fluctuations. I don't think you can for commemorative coins.

You are likely correct- and the reason why I have never pre-loaded my account 😂

I think you can apply for a RM credit account @Paul has referenced this previously.  I notice on your profile page when you login there is a 'Credit Account' section- perhaps if you wanted to load with cash from a debit card you can?  Likely needs to be activated over the phone?  What company wouldn't want to hold your hard earned cash to earn them money! 

Edited by richatthecroft

1 hour ago, rlingford said:

Youll need a credit card with suitable credit limit to support purchase on day or release, to get the protection a credit card affords. 

Or

debit card with funds in bank for immediate purchase.

Keep phone handy for text confirmation alert if it is 'out of sorts ' of your usual spends. 

Bank transfer is to fund bullion holdings, not purchase of new releases

Edited by Paul

I'd also buy something via the RM site a day before anything cheap to make sure all your details are good and you are not held up with any sort of admin.  For me the 3D authentication when paying  can be another ball ache so have your mobile in hand.   This has caught me out once and I was running around the house trying to find phone.  

45 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

Good morning. Yes, I am led to believe there will be two versions but maybe only with the 2oz gold.

On one hand I like the idea this maybe gives me a better chance of getting something but I can't help feeling the rarity of the last 2 in the set is a huge part of the appeal...I mean the 2 part set is fine but now we have 4 versions of the same coin? Can't help but have a nagging feeling the crown won't have the spectacular long term value as the other coins due to not being as exclusive.

I do think there will be a pressure to buy all variations of the coin too....for me the coin was a no brainer, then it became obvious you really needed both...pricey but I can swing it. Now I could be looking at 24 grand to get 4 just to complete the set? That's really hard to justify.

Do people feel this has cheapened the appeal of this release a bit...maybe watered down is a more appropriate turn of phrase?

5 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

On one hand I like the idea this maybe gives me a better chance of getting something but I can't help feeling the rarity of the last 2 in the set is a huge part of the appeal...I mean the 2 part set is fine but now we have 4 versions of the same coin? Can't help but have a nagging feeling the crown won't have the spectacular long term value as the other coins due to not being as exclusive.

I do think there will be a pressure to buy all variations of the coin too....for me the coin was a no brainer, then it became obvious you really needed both...pricey but I can swing it. Now I could be looking at 24 grand to get 4 just to complete the set? That's really hard to justify.

Do people feel this has cheapened the appeal of this release a bit...maybe watered down is a more appropriate turn of phrase?

Yes, I do. But it's down to the mitnages for me. Are we saying there will be an expected small increase in mintage, doubled, for each version ? When I say version I mean the edge variations 

Edited by NewCoins

36 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I agree, two versions was a push but they had legitimate reasons for doing so. 
I think the mint have a team now in place who are looking to wring every last £ out of any variations and weights they can invent. I think they should tread carefully when dealing with classic , historic productions from their stable. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Chrisplym said:

Good morning. Yes, I am led to believe there will be two versions but maybe only with the 2oz gold.

Okay then this is just ****ed up.

Even though the Una and the Lion, and  the Three Graces were above my means, I loved that they were exclusive and special.

But if they Royal Mint intends releasing X different variations of the same coin, then that’s just cheapening the whole endeavour.

I guess this is why it’s better to collect historical coins that you know are truly unique and aren’t being ****ed with.

Sorry I’m irritated if this news is indeed true.

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree, two versions was a push but they had legitimate reasons for doing so. 
I think the mint have a team now in place who are looking to wring every last £ out of any variations and weights they can invent. I think they should tread carefully when dealing with classic , historic productions from their stable. 

I agree wholeheartedly!

I could see the very valid reasoning for doing the reverse and obverse on two coins, but now a variation, so doubling of the coins???

That’s just bullsh*t.

Edited by westminstrel

I do see the Mint being a business in the context of reducing demand for circulation coinage. I also see they have a large premium and presumably margin on their proof coins.

Increasing the mintage somewhat I can understand. There is a very fine line for them to tread. I feel they would be open to "abuse" it more if this was the end of the series. I assume it isn't? 

Fingers crossed they get the balance right.

36 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I do see the Mint being a business in the context of reducing demand for circulation coinage. I also see they have a large premium and presumably margin on their proof coins.

Increasing the mintage somewhat I can understand. There is a very fine line for them to tread. I feel they would be open to "abuse" it more if this was the end of the series. I assume it isn't? 

Fingers crossed they get the balance right.

Perhaps the end of Phase I of the series, since it exclusively featured William Wyon designs only.

Since the series is about “engravers” (plural) I suppose they will continue it with some other engraver - there’s no lack of them - and this series could go on for a decade if not more.

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Perhaps the end of Phase I of the series, since it exclusively featured William Wyon designs only.

Since the series is about “engravers” (plural) I suppose they will continue it with some other engraver - there’s no lack of them - and this series could go on for a decade if not more.

your more than likely right

Oh frick frack… I read the damn gazette entry in detail. Here are the denominations:

SILVER (all grained edge)

- 2 oz

- 5 oz

- 10 oz piedfort

- 1 kg

- 2 kg

GOLD (uh oh!)

- 2 oz (grained or plain edge)

- 5 oz (grained edge)

- 10 oz piedfort (grained edge)

- 1 kg (grained edge)

- 2 kg (plain edge)