• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

14 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I think I will give it a miss tomorrow.

I am currently bored of coins. Definitel release fatigue. I need some time away from RM

Sorry @Darr3nG!

Your missing out on an opportunity to spend someone else's money?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Yeah bright and early...9am we find out they are already sold out lol.

This has been the story for me for all the latest releases, number 2,000 in the queue, number 4 hundred million in the queue.... if I hadn’t got the STOD sovereign today I might have just thrown in the towel.

Who am I kidding. 🙄

4 minutes ago, Robda1986 said:

The race to the bottom is well on its way 🏎️🙄

Screenshot_20220207_002714_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

580 would still see them make a very healthy profit.

This has been my problem with the mints decision to contact people that got the first coin and give them priority. If you bought the first to flip then fine, nobody wants that discussion again, but you have essentially been handed a free pass for this release again. Meanwhile the legitimate collectors who bought them believing they could get the portrait from the mint have been utterly mugged off.

I really believe this launch has been an embarrassment for the mint and an insult to collectors. We still have people months on waiting for quartered arms, the queue system sucks, the best coins are already reserved for big spenders who get their pick first and now they decide to screw over the people who bought the arms 2nd hand who are probably their most dedicated fans. 

Why did they even bother releasing this in two parts? Who benefits from that? All it does at their end is make logistics more complicated.

I'm glad I got a 2oz silver from RM and 10oz from a seller here which included the portrait (well, it will if it ever arrives, 10oz arms still not delivered to him) but I am really unimpressed with the service.

1 hour ago, apachebleu said:

580 would still see them make a very healthy profit.

This has been my problem with the mints decision to contact people that got the first coin and give them priority. If you bought the first to flip then fine, nobody wants that discussion again, but you have essentially been handed a free pass for this release again. Meanwhile the legitimate collectors who bought them believing they could get the portrait from the mint have been utterly mugged off.

I really believe this launch has been an embarrassment for the mint and an insult to collectors. We still have people months on waiting for quartered arms, the queue system sucks, the best coins are already reserved for big spenders who get their pick first and now they decide to screw over the people who bought the arms 2nd hand who are probably their most dedicated fans. 

Why did they even bother releasing this in two parts? Who benefits from that? All it does at their end is make logistics more complicated.

I'm glad I got a 2oz silver from RM and 10oz from a seller here which included the portrait (well, it will if it ever arrives, 10oz arms still not delivered to him) but I am really unimpressed with the service.

I too have felt as you do and I’ve wondered what RM can do to solve this.

I waited in the queue for the first of the gotic crown release and I got onto the site too late, I also did the same for the release for the new monarchs Henry VII release, again I got onto RM website too late.

I’ve thought about this many times and I’m not sure they can win. Maybe it would be better to just open the website on the day of a new launch at 9am and let it be a free for all.

However that approach will most likely end in the website crashing, the servers wouldn’t cope. I’ve also thought, should it be invitation only, an email a few days before, you have to reply wether you want the allotted time or not, an allotted time is then given and you get say 5 minutes to buy and checkout, doable, yes but not ideal.

I’ve been, in recent years mostly on the loosing side of the RM queueing system and to be honest I don’t know what they can do when they have a limited mintage for an infinite number of prospective buyers.

Like many on the forum have probably thought the same as I have and I just don’t have the answer but I do know that you can’t please everyone.

6 minutes ago, Robda1986 said:

Just looked at my open orders.

I've a continuation order arms and portrait and now an extra portrait 🤔guessing I'm due 2 coins again then 🤷‍♂️

Mine is also the same showing 2 orders for the silver. I am guessing only the new Portrait order with E-xxxxxxxx-1 will be delivered.

3 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I waited in the queue for the first of the gotic crown release and I got onto the site too late, I also did the same for the release for the new monarchs Henry VII release, again I got onto RM website too late.

I’ve thought about this many times and I’m not sure they can win. Maybe it would be better to just open the website on the day of a new launch at 9am and let it be a free for all.

However that approach will most likely end in the website crashing, the servers wouldn’t cope. I’ve also thought, should it be invitation only, an email a few days before, you have to reply wether you want the allotted time or not, an allotted time is then given and you get say 5 minutes to buy and checkout, doable, yes but not ideal.

I’ve been, in recent years mostly on the loosing side of the RM queueing system and to be honest I don’t know what they can do when they have a limited mintage for an infinite number of prospective buyers.

Like many on the forum have probably thought the same as I have and I just don’t have the answer but I do know that you can’t please everyone.

It's not even the queue that has annoyed me it's the stupidity of splitting the release or rather pretending to because as we found out they haven't really.

I think it's been a great bonus for people who bought the first coin but hit the wrong button in the melee like quite a few did however people who bought on the used market got really shafted here and it was totally avoidable because I can't imagine a single person would have said no to the coin if it had been released as a set only.

As someone quite new to this collecting business I have already been let down several times by the mint on the soverign proofs that were never exchanged despite their promises and allocated gold gothic crown that mysteriously disappeared from my orders in spite of confirmation being recieved.

Quite honestly I am really second guessing whether dealing with this is worth the hassle and frustration.

9 minutes ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

"

Five extremely limited, graded presentation sets, containing an original coin and both the new commemorative versions in 2oz gold, will also be created. Four go on sale today via telephone sales only, offering collectors the chance to own all three coins. One additional set be reserved for the Tokyo International Coin Convention where The Royal Mint, in partnership with Taisei Coins, will be holding an auction in April this year. 

"

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

"

Five extremely limited, graded presentation sets, containing an original coin and both the new commemorative versions in 2oz gold, will also be created. Four go on sale today via telephone sales only, offering collectors the chance to own all three coins. One additional set be reserved for the Tokyo International Coin Convention where The Royal Mint, in partnership with Taisei Coins, will be holding an auction in April this year. 

"

I’m on the phone. 🤪

40 minutes ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Does anyone know the list prices for all of those - seem to think they all were going up about £250 from the Quartered Arms (gold)  is their a link to RRP anywhere?

8 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

Does anyone know the list prices for all of those - seem to think they all were going up about £250 from the Quartered Arms (gold)  is their a link to RRP anywhere?

Apparently the prices of the silver coins haven’t changed.  However the 2 Oz gold has increased in price.  Don’t know about the other gold denominations.

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

One thing I think they should do when it comes to series is give the option for continuity with the first coin. I know they can never get it 100% right no matter what they do and even this as a solution would have its problems but at least it would allow collectors who show interest in a series early on a real chance of actually being able to collect all coins in the series. Whilst I'm not personally against flipping I do think its more than a little harsh for people who bought into a series early on to have to then fight the hoardes of flippers who join later once something proves successful.

That being said I hope anyone after one of these coins this morning for their collection is able to get one. As much as I've enjoyed these coins I also hope its the end of the series. Though my own collection will be safely completed this experience with the Gothic has been unenjoyable and taken a lot of the fun out of collecting.

The rumour mill has it that the Reddite Crown is next.

I don’t care much for that design honestly, and I also don’t see the point of them releasing it now.  Sure the original has a story behind it - but so do most coins - and what’s the purpose of releasing it as part of this Great Engravers series?  It’s not like it’s a spectacular design that people desire to own.

I can see it tanking - a few hardcore completists might buy in, but I can’t see it being a good buy in the long term.  Imo anyway.

I’ll be happy to skip that one.

3 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

LPM is taking pre order now at HKD3132, seems very reasonable in pricing at this moment n better than buying from fleabay 

5oz is £633.. Heck of a price considering… Can’t order the 2oz with LPM though