• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why don't they sell and buy like before?

stefffana

Hi, everyone!

We can see in recent months a slowing down in the sales volume on the buy&sell section of the forum, especially on silver.

What's going on?

There is not enough money left for investments, people have lost interest and enthusiasm for precious metals, the decrease in the spot price for gold and silver has scared investors, buyers have moved themselves to other investments or is there another explanation?

Has this happened before and is it only a period, or is it something new? 

I continue to buy like crazy, silver and gold, trying to make the most of the low price, especially silver 800, 835, 900, 925 and 9ct gold, focusing on buying below the melting price. I am sure this will help me later.

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

2 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

This has happened before. 

IMO: There were the price increases which brought in many new members. They have been buying like mad and now realising nothing is going to the moon. So now tapering off. 

For sure, will not go to the moon, but in this uncertain times I think everyone should trust in precious metals.

Yeah agree with @FlorinCollector it has happened before I would say every 3-4 months it slows down for a month then kicks off again, it’s annoying if you have items to sell but good if your buying as you can tend to get better deals. It’s all fun and games 😄

2 minutes ago, SilverTalent said:

It’s definitely a buyers market .

but to sell you have to have a lower then normal price 

that’s what I’ve been finding 

Sincerely SilverTalent 

Yes, for moment I am not selling anymore. I'm trying now to lower my averages😀

2 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

Yeah agree with @FlorinCollector it has happened before I would say every 3-4 months it slows down for a month then kicks off again, it’s annoying if you have items to sell but good if your buying as you can tend to get better deals. It’s all fun and games 😄

Yes, I really enjoy this game. Even my wife...😎😃😁

I was optimistically looking to sell lots of silver when the spot price went above £20 some while back.
I did manage to sell quite a bit but currently it is well below my buy price so sitting tight.
Probably the reason for most stackers not selling at the moment, and although it may seem like a great time to buy, it isn't any longer for the serious stackers with the 20% VAT on top.
When gold takes a plunge it is a buyers paradise but unfortunately anything you were hoping to buy has already gone.

Silver for me hasn't been worth while since the premiums rocketed after March 2020. The premiums have been falling steadily but nowere near enough and there is also now the VAT issue. I am glad for the silver I hold and managed to buy leading up to March 2020 but I doubt there will be much added to that moving into the future. Gold I feel a bit more confidence in but even then I'm only after specific items that I feel will appreciate better than just bullion.

In a way its a shame as I quite enjoy all this as a hobby but it just doesn't make sense to me to be paying such high fees on top of the metal value for the coins.

1 minute ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Silver for me hasn't been worth while since the premiums rocketed after March 2020. The premiums have been falling steadily but nowere near enough and there is also now the VAT issue. I am glad for the silver I hold and managed to buy leading up to March 2020 but I doubt there will be much added to that moving into the future. Gold I feel a bit more confidence in but even then I'm only after specific items that I feel will appreciate better than just bullion.

In a way its a shame as I quite enjoy all this as a hobby but it just doesn't make sense to me to be paying such high fees on top of the metal value for the coins.

This is the reason I am focusing from a while on buying scrap or very low premium gold and silver. The intrinsic value will be there when the time will come for me.

A 2020 Sovereign is selling at Bairds for £318.84 and at Hatton Garden Metals for £336.48. You can also get one on here for £315.00. It pays to shop around is my point but invariably, the prices on here are the best because most people check in so that their prices make sense. I guess trust and reputation play a good part in all of this.

I do not think anyone on TSF just buys an item on here without checking Bairds/Chards/Atkinsons/HGM or other trusted sellers first. 

I have today listed a load of items for the first time in a while. I took a break from selling on here for personal reasons, but have come back today. I had been listing items elsewhere and they were selling for more than I would have got here (or been comfortable asking), but have noticed a slight change recently where I actually think that sales have picked up. If my items on here don't sell I know they will absolutely sell elsewhere and possibly for more money as for some crazy reason (totally unfathomable to me) any item I sell off the forum really does sell for more.

I just much prefer buying and selling on here.  

Silver is just not moving as it did before. To think you can pick up a silver Brit (a once high in demand item )for £22-£23 delivered is crazy.  The appetite of the forum has dramatically slowed down for silver, a once raging fire is just a mere flame ATM. Hopefully it can pick up by the end of the year. 

Gold on the other hand in my experience has proved to be much more liquid and ideal in a very slow market.

Edited by Tn21

4 minutes ago, MrTT said:

I bought 2, australia sovs last week & 1 tube of ag maples yesterday.

But from catawiki & europabullion 🤠

Cheaper than here? Catawiki is very expensive with 12.5% for sellers and another 9% for buyers, and shipping fees are ridiculous.

I only collect and now have ten ounces obtaining what felt like must have coins (including an old American silver Eagle, a British silver trade dollar, Queens Beast completers, Britannias)...Recent unispiring RM coin designs along with milk spots and QA issues have dulled my enthusiasm. Will see what RM spit out for 2022🤣

50 minutes ago, Tn21 said:Gold on the other hand in my experience has proved to be much more liquid and ideal in a very slow market.

Yup agreed, gold does sheen to shift better than silver at the moment. 

I am still buying Morgan’s and Kooks.  But only in UNC

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Still shopping just a small portion of income each month. I've not actually bought any volume of bullion coins since last year due to the prices and similar to you loaded up on old coinage until last week. Handy being able to make £ when the price goes down to via spread betting 

Why do folk not state the obvious?  There's far to much stuff offered here. Endless bumps and flipped gear offer. Stuff always sold quick be good person to person, stacker to stacker now it's a good amount of amateur dealers hoovering up fairly honestly priced stuff and then offered back to forum. Sadly it's not once it was here. Why do I want to waste an hour trawling through  and using my spare time through, knowing fine we'll there's not much of anything at good value/what I couldn't get from a ln established dealer.

Sorry rant over :(

@Paul.

Certainly supply and demand is at the core of product movement but the economy is the key driver. 18 months of the pandemic has left many on their knees. We have seen death, illness, lower levels of income, higher costs, empty shelves, no fuel, NHS waiting lists through the roof, kids with limited education and it goes on and on and on and on.

I dont't believe that as many people have the luxury of, or the state of mind for, investing in / stacking of silver as before whereas sellers, who are subject to the stresses of holding illiquid assets, are looking for a market that has diminished.

Edited by HillWalkerDundee

7 minutes ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

@Paul.

Certainly supply and demand is at the core of product movement but the economy is the key driver. 18 months of the pandemic has left many on their knees. We have seen death, illness, lower levels of income, higher costs, empty shelves, no fuel, NHS waiting lists through the roof, kids with limited education and it goes on and on and on and on.

I dont't believe that as many people have the luxury of, or the state of mind for, investing in / stacking of silver as before whereas sellers, who are subject to the stresses of holding illiquid assets, are looking for a market that has diminished.

I'll agree to disagree. Pop a thousand Britannia's on at £2 over spot and or £2 under nearest  bullion dealer equivalent and watch the lurkers commit and buy. I'll be one of them