• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why don't they sell and buy like before?

stefffana

22 hours ago, Paul said:

I'll agree to disagree. Pop a thousand Britannia's on at £2 over spot and or £2 under nearest  bullion dealer equivalent and watch the lurkers commit and buy. I'll be one of them

If only you were as keen on maples you could’ve scored with my loss leader today. Silver selling will resume to former levels I’m sure, genuine deals will happen and flippers will always flip. Where the market lies, eh Dinna ken ?

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I find I have slowed my silver buying right down of late as I grudge paying the inflated premiums.  By sheer dumb luck I began stacking in 2015 and when I look back at my spreadsheet I was paying £12 - £15 for much of my silver so the £30 - £35 the same bullion coins are selling for today almost double the spot price just does not appeal to me so I have restricted my purchases to completing series I am collecting only. Paying the full 20% VAT nowadays is hard to take as well so I am happier to switch to buying more gold as you don't get the same feeling of being seen off.  I have a decent amount of silver behind me if it was less things might be different.  

Like @Scuzzle I reluctantly still pay full price plus added VAT for essential silver coins to continue date runs and series.
Once the coin boxes are full, I will stop collecting as I know that when / if the time comes to sell, I will struggle to get my money back as others are finding trying to sell sets.

Anyone who watches GBNews on TV will notice the repetition of adverts in the breaks and I am curious as to the 3 gold bullion advertisers because none of them ever get a mention on this site.
Prices are most likely non competitive compared to our well known regular named sellers but there must be a large number of people "investing" in PMs that don't know any better.

I would be buying more gold with spare cash if the margins were more reasonable.
Private trades on this forum seem the best, but not always, so you need to check.
Dealers are squeezing that few extra points because they can and checking prices recently on my once favourite supplier HGM I was utterly dismayed at their markups.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Like @Scuzzle I reluctantly still pay full price plus added VAT for essential silver coins to continue date runs and series.
Once the coin boxes are full, I will stop collecting as I know that when / if the time comes to sell, I will struggle to get my money back as others are finding trying to sell sets.

Anyone who watches GBNews on TV will notice the repetition of adverts in the breaks and I am curious as to the 3 gold bullion advertisers because none of them ever get a mention on this site.
Prices are most likely non competitive compared to our well known regular named sellers but there must be a large number of people "investing" in PMs that don't know any better.

I would be buying more gold with spare cash if the margins were more reasonable.
Private trades on this forum seem the best, but not always, so you need to check.
Dealers are squeezing that few extra points because they can and checking prices recently on my once favourite supplier HGM I was utterly dismayed at their markups.

Very sane point of view.  I am still buying Unc Morgan’s but that’s it for silver at the moment.

I agree that Gold is the way to go for the moment - and especially on the forum where prices are keen if you are simply stacking Sovs or Brits.

It really is painful paying the high silver margins!

HMG were my go to dealer some while ago.  I bought proofs sold as bullion, Gillicks and was never disappointed with the quality - some real crackers made me a repeat customer.  As of 2 years ago something happened and their pricing went really whacky with silly prices being attached to very bullion Sovs.  So I stopped using them as have others here.

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2021 at 21:02, Paul said:

Why do folk not state the obvious?  There's far to much stuff offered here. Endless bumps and flipped gear offer. Stuff always sold quick be good person to person, stacker to stacker now it's a good amount of amateur dealers hoovering up fairly honestly priced stuff and then offered back to forum. Sadly it's not once it was here. Why do I want to waste an hour trawling through  and using my spare time through, knowing fine we'll there's not much of anything at good value/what I couldn't get from a ln established dealer.

Sorry rant over :(

This is one of the main reasons why I have cancelled my paid membership, and hardly visit any more. And you are not allowed to question this behaviour in people's sale threads, because 'it's rude' lol. 

I’ve been on this forum since 2018 and I’ve noticed even in just over three years how things have changed here.

Most of the sale posts I’ve noticed changed in the last 18 months ish.

As many others have said, silver seems harder to sell on here now that it once was.

Apart from the odd silver purchase in the past 18 months, I was buying silver from 2013 regularly to early 2020. You could buy a single Britannia from Sharps Pixley or Atkinson’s as examples for £16-£17 each, 2020 hit and they were £30+ each.

The exceptions are probably the forum bars which I like and Queens Beasts and Tudor Beasts but my main focus is gold.

Having said all of this, as we all know, we don’t know where the silver price might go next.

It's a really strange time in the market right now. Having been a buyer only (never selling lol) since 2010 it really seems like somthing odd is happening. I have predominantly been a seasoned ebay under spot sniper but have totally given up with this now as too much time involved. Good condition sterling coins or world silver are becoming very very scarce at reasonable prices. There are an influx of newer buyers also spending way over the odds on standard coins too. See pic below of a kennedy half which sold for over £20 the other day!! 

SmartSelect_20210930-162827_Chrome.jpg