• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Celebrating 100 Years of our BBC

Some of you probably don’t realise how appreciated the BBC is around the world. Unfortunately over the last few years a few people at the BBC appear to be very good at own goals. Try watching some of the c**p abroad. Bias? Obviously you don’t watch foreign news programs!

3 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I won’t be sitting on this Santa’ s knee for a surprise present!

C74CE08C-D72A-4E0F-AD4C-A5429E7230D8.thumb.jpeg.b9d0d2544c32178869e4e57c4d903a0c.jpeg

A BBC combo...The Goodies and Rolf H from a "Scatty Safari". A classic episode inc Jake the Peg.

Bill Oddie on Star Portraits - part 1 - YouTube

My observation is critics of BBC do so because they've been told its bad, its left wing, etc.  They dont actually watch much to form an independent opinion, and listen to radio even less.  They'll cite a fringe example from thousands of hours of material. Or get all bothered they have a gay couple on Strictly, but not actually watch Strictly. 

The main news covers the same headlines as the other channels, the regular programming varies in quality but isnt overtly political, save a few programmes.  Essentially no different to any other broadcaster or channel, except Channel 4 (which is deliberatly and purposely alternative).  Radio can only comment from memory (BBC1 trash, BBC23 dull), though Radio 4 is a beacon of proper journalism and good comedy.  

Really the only problem is the licence, I can understand the objection there.  It's a shame they don't recognise their commercial strengths and licence more overseas to fund the free service in the UK. 

4 hours ago, Petra said:

Some of you probably don’t realise how appreciated the BBC is around the world. Unfortunately over the last few years a few people at the BBC appear to be very good at own goals. Try watching some of the c**p abroad. Bias? Obviously you don’t watch foreign news programs!

I worked on and off for a few years in Romania. During the winter they have a dedicated Channel that has a child singing infront of a Christmas tree. During the summer a child singing in a field. It's really freaky. I am not a fan of the BBC but you are right, it's not much better anywhere else. Personally I just switch it over.

7 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@LawrenceChard I still would have preferred Mrs Slocombe's pussy 

Blurgh! I need mind bleach!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

The main news covers the same headlines as the other channels, the regular programming varies in quality but isnt overtly political, save a few programmes.  Essentially no different to any other broadcaster or channel, except Channel 4 (which is deliberatly and purposely alternative). 

For me this is the key point. Channel 4 is a perfect example of how to do news journalism.  BBC News main output is no better than Sky. Newsnight on the other hand, which has a separate budget and editorial brief to the main news content is the only thing that comes close to C4 in terms of quality, depth and a news outlet's main duty of reporting important events that would otherwise go unnoticed.

The bias argument is easy to shoot down because whichever side you ask, you get a different answer. Brexit people say the BBC is pro remain. Remain people say it's pro Brexit. Labour folk say it's Tory biased. Tories say it's too Labour. What that demonstrates is ineptitude at handling their charter responsibility of balanced reporting. 

And don't get me started on Question Time.

13 minutes ago, dicker said:

What is curious is that they put a helicopter over Cliff’s house. Cliff was of course innocent.

They chose not to do the same to Savile, Hall, Harris et al at any time.   All very odd.  

I know one thing they all are dirty old nonces. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

What is curious is that they put a helicopter over Cliff’s house. Cliff was of course innocent.

They chose not to do the same to Savile, Hall, Harris et al at any time.   All very odd. 

Oh yes, they seem to make such huge 'stupid errors' (which discredit police investigations) when it comes to 'innocent' people, but never the guilty ones who work for them...

I still haven't forgiven them for (among other things) NOT naming Lord McAlpine on TV, and then paying him half a million odd of our money as compensation. Philip Schofield of course being the culprit for ITV. McAlpine never did sue me (or anyone else) for publicly calling him as a paedo...just the BBC and ITV gave him a fortune for not mentioning him at all.

I'm sure many of us remember Jill Dando's murder, and anyone who knows the case knows that Barry George had nothing to do with it, it was a professional hit. 'Rumours' are that she was about to expose a paedo ring at the BBC and, funnily enough, had confided in her friend Cliff Richard (I of course imply nothing but a coincidence). Meanwhile, post-Savile her co-presenter on Crimewatch Nick Ross came out and said that he'd probably look at child abuse images 'to see what the fuss is about' 🤮 🤮 🤮

All just an 'unfortunate' set of circumstances because the BBC is totally inept, I'm sure...

13 hours ago, dicker said:

Its very simple, because such a mistakes made over Saville and others, they wanted to ensure they weren't behind if there was another.  Because people beat up an institution over the mistakes of individuals, the institution goes into assertive defense.  What went on at institutions was insidious as well, do

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, ady said:

My word was he right, is he now compromised on his views on vaccines?

I bet at the time this was aired it still wasn't taken seriously. Just shows how easily it is for the general public to have the blinkers on. Currently seeing a similar thing with Johnny Depp, public convinced he would never do anything wrong just because he is a lovable pirate.