• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Anyone waiting of 2oz gold plain edge - portrait

I've just had my RM dispatch email !

Will be in hand Monday I think, long weekend wait ahead :(

Can’t wait to see the pics / vids. 😎

10 minutes ago, marston59 said:

I have just received my tracking for the plain edge.

Oooh excited to see yours too. 😎

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Spotted on bookface earlier. More mysterious 'burning' issues with silver sent to ngc(copied and pasted)

" Well... the burn has returned. 2 different gothic crowns sent to NGC, both have the same "burn" mark on them in different places, that wasn't there before sending, one a portrait and one an arms.
That's me done sending silver to NGC for grading now, 2 coins now worthless (one is a 70 grade too lol!) " 

FB_IMG_1648198560769.jpg

FB_IMG_1648198566836.jpg

Those are my coins. Very frustrating.

There is no way NGC passed that kind of damage a PF70 so it is clearly something that has happened after they have graded and slabbed it…..there can be no other explanation.

To me, it looks like some kind of mox between a chemical and electric event.

Edited by Oldun

12 minutes ago, Oldun said:

There is no way NGC passed that kind of damage a PF70 so it is clearly something that has happened after they have graded and slabbed it…..there can be no other explanation.

To me, it looks like some kind of mox between a chemical and electric event.

I wonder if it happens while they are testing the coins - and the testers been told to slab them disregarding this damage. 

It’s weird for sure; and imo NGC should be held liable for this damage.

I received the 5oz Silver Proof Portrait yesterday and it was in the post back to them by 4pm. When you get a coin that has such a large field, you do kind of expect there to be no marks on the field. When you receive them with such blatant marks that could never have happened during transport, it does beggar belief how they get the little QC sticker...Oh well, not a major concern as it will be replaced. 

Just received my 5oz and 10oz silver portraits. Both also have really obvious scratches in the fields. The 5oz also has a massive scratched area on its capsule, and the thin cardboard box that the 10oz coin came in was already open at both ends and all bent up as a result.

I can't tell if they've stupidly sent this junk out as new, or whether they've tried to send me someone else's returns in the hope that I wouldn't notice. Either way it's annoying. 

@paulmerton How about this bad boy....

2 oz silver replacement 

Smudgy dirty mark on her face and on the field of the coin

Not to mention the worlds most scratched capsule

PXL_20220325_132135899.jpg

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Just now, paulmerton said:

You cannot make this stuff up.

The coin arrived today, but after requesting a return the website informs me:

Sorry, the order cannot be returned after January 28, 2022

Give them a ring - my account manager organised a returns label for me today.

On 25/12/2021 at 14:25, BackyardBullion said:

Well, the person that submitted them will know. They would have surely had an invoice indicating which coins were conserved. The excuse of not knowing is not good enough really.

Just on principal I would be contacting the person that submitted and press them for an answer. 

I also wouldn't take no for an answer. 

On 25/12/2021 at 14:15, magpie79 said:

Am still unsure 

from the little I know ngc don’t have the resources to tell you if they have been conserved 

I would really appreciate any advice ? 

not so much for the money but to know whether to send back for regrading or not 

They still charge for conservation fee for analysis even if your coin isn't conserved... As far as I know

2 hours ago, ShaolinStacker said:

They still charge for conservation fee for analysis even if your coin isn't conserved... As far as I know

Not true. You only get charged if they conserve it.

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

You cannot make this stuff up.

The coin arrived today, but after requesting a return the website informs me:

Sorry, the order cannot be returned after January 28, 2022

What the hell is wrong with these people at the RM?  They are either blind or just don't give a c**p.  And, I think it's the latter.  I feel bad for all of you who are getting such substandard coins.  For sure, this settles it for me.  I was going to try my luck in the queue for the Monarchs next release on Monday.  No way now!  I will buy it from a dealer.  Yes, it will cost more, but I've never gotten a bad coin from a dealer.  They inspect it and would send it back if it's damaged.  This incompetence by the RM should be exposed in the media.

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

@paulmerton How about this bad boy....

2 oz silver replacement 

Smudgy dirty mark on her face and on the field of the coin

Not to mention the worlds most scratched capsule

PXL_20220325_132135899.jpg

I think you win the award for the worst coin.  Congratulations!  This is a total shame and tells me that there is NO QC at the RM anymore.  They have completely abandoned QC in order to mint and get these out the door as fast as possible.  A reviewer who is blind can see all the problems with this coin!  For sure I would send it back and request a refund.  If they play games and deny your request, try denying the charge with your credit card company.

8 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I think you win the award for the worst coin.  Congratulations!  This is a total shame and tells me that there is NO QC at the RM anymore.  They have completely abandoned QC in order to mint and get these out the door as fast as possible.  A reviewer who is blind can see all the problems with this coin!  For sure I would send it back and request a refund.  If they play games and deny your request, try denying the charge with your credit card company.

Oh I have zero fear about being out of pocket.

They will be replacing rather than refunding, I won't let them just fob me off with a refund. If they do, then they can buy a decent one for me from the secondary market at inflated prices.

Either way, I will get one 😜

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

What the hell is wrong with these people at the RM?  They are either blind or just don't give a c**p.  And, I think it's the latter.  I feel bad for all of you who are getting such substandard coins.  For sure, this settles it for me.  I was going to try my luck in the queue for the Monarchs next release on Monday.  No way now!  I will buy it from a dealer.  Yes, it will cost more, but I've never gotten a bad coin from a dealer.  They inspect it and would send it back if it's damaged.  This incompetence by the RM should be exposed in the media.

Yes, I think enough is enough. It would be interesting to see if any media outlets were interested, as time and time again, those in charge at The RM have demonstrated complete contempt towards customers, despite repeatedly being informed of the issues.

Edited by Oldun

Coins of the Realm have Gothics for sale. In their next auction 

https://bidlive.coinsoftherealm-auctions.com/auctions/4-5GL7FW/coins-of-the-realm-auction-24?categories=4-NG0AM&limit=36

And it will be interesting to see results.. I have my silver 2oz  Gothic pair in this auction.. (and some other non Gothics)

As the Royal Mint somehow ended up sending me two pairs of Quartered Arms/Portraits ... 

I originally ticked on quartered arms and the continuation, thinking that is what I needed to do to get a pair.. and I ended up with two pairs! Which I di dnot think was allowed?! 

If the 2 oz gold (ungraded gold milled edge does well in this auction - (not mine) I'' put my milled edge in the next auction. 

Or just get it graded, then sell it..  Never liked graded coins myself for personal collection - so to keep I would not get any coin graded, but at the moment the expectation from the market, seems to demand graded coins.