• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

12 minutes ago, papi1980 said:

Mine 2oz portrait came as well and as you can imagine…troubles…not sure if I’m too picky but planing to return…any advice 

1. black letter second n 

2. missing frosting queens chin ;( 

A4851B62-D86D-4360-9A38-A4BB6CDEBBFE.jpeg

9BCCFBD4-B100-44EA-AA96-A6F89C33E452.jpeg

6ADDF773-0083-4DB1-A416-0EB76C77CC4D.jpeg

509A673C-CF1B-4C5F-8FA8-9C0BEDCE9FD7.jpeg

I’m sending mine back- open capsule and several marks on both obverse and reverse.

I look forward to receiving yours in exchange 😂 

14 minutes ago, papi1980 said:

Mine 2oz portrait came as well and as you can imagine…troubles…not sure if I’m too picky but planing to return…any advice 

1. black letter second n 

2. missing frosting queens chin ;( 

A4851B62-D86D-4360-9A38-A4BB6CDEBBFE.jpeg

9BCCFBD4-B100-44EA-AA96-A6F89C33E452.jpeg

6ADDF773-0083-4DB1-A416-0EB76C77CC4D.jpeg

509A673C-CF1B-4C5F-8FA8-9C0BEDCE9FD7.jpeg

Missing bits of frosting on my Protrait and also my Platinum Jubille 2oz silver proof - very small so was just gonna take it on the chin (no pun intended)

My Portrait capsule was also open

6 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

I’m sending mine back- open capsule and several marks on both obverse and reverse.

I look forward to receiving yours in exchange 😂 

That is the thing.. I hope that they correct them rather than switching... .a proof should be a proof and there should be no problems on the coin. I have never returned a coin to RM before but probably should I take it on the chin and don't bother....so confused...

If no one returns, then RM quality is good, right....?   

Has anyone tried to get a label online for returns?

The order number doesn't work and if you put the order ref in, it says cant return because past the end of window for return. (This I assume is because the order ref is the same as the 1st coin.) 

What a funny website. 

On the phone they say they also can't create a returns label. LOL 

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

This is what they look like, its got two locking points. 

The thing is, they do not lock properly. 

Completely unfit for purpose.

And The Royal Mint know its an issue because they have been including foam inserts into other sets. 

cap.thumb.jpg.effda937ef027c791d2b91134d4685e4.jpg

problem.thumb.jpg.9c6071637b5807f6fc2a0c0346c5818a.jpg

I had to use mole grips to get my Platinum Jubilee capsule open so they definitely do lock properly of closed in the first place - I reckon RM just pop the capsule together and don't bother twisting shut fully

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Love the coin

HATE THE QUALITY

Honestly, how does this happen over and over and over again.

ALSO - CAPSULE OPEN ON DELIVERY.

I would ask anyone else out there if you get something like this please send me the images as I intend to send an email to Anne Jessop and the Head of Customer Services a collection of all these issues for their immediate attention.

PXL_20220209_095801521.thumb.jpg.a2be9ca295e38569c2bfa76ed4b289cb.jpg

Portrait.thumb.png.cdfbc4df622d280f018139ae9f4f7a01.png

InkedPXL_20220209_100026670_LI.thumb.jpg.f98c9b81044a0cd941e63994357242fd.jpg

My capsule was open but I shut it before seeing this post so no images - defo add me to list of those who received an open capsule

16 minutes ago, papi1980 said:

That is the thing.. I hope that they correct them rather than switching... .a proof should be a proof and there should be no problems on the coin. I have never returned a coin to RM before but probably should I take it on the chin and don't bother....so confused...

If no one returns, then RM quality is good, right....?   

I'm also undecided - just got my 2 coin panther set and there are some (very) minor blemishes and 2-3 pinholes in the reverse frosted coin. I think I would prefer to keep it flawed, than receive a refund, but how will the mint know that this is not acceptable for a proof coin, unless I send it back?

If it were a higher value coin, for grading or flipping, it'd be in the return post already!

Edited by Darr3nG

16 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

My set is complete! To say I'm very, very happy is an understantment 😂

Few bits of dust on the capsules I've not cleaned off yet, though the coins are perfect.

IMG_20220209_104841.jpg

IMG_20220209_104400.jpg

Looks great 👍 

1 minute ago, Darr3nG said:

I'm also undecided - just got my 2 coin panther set and there are some (very) minor blemishes and 2-3 pinholes in the reverse frosted coin. I think I would prefer to keep it flawed, than receive a refund, but how will the mint know that this is not acceptable for a proof coin, unless I send it back?

If it were a higher value coin, for grading or flipping, it's be in the return post already!

Yep - the return for refund/replace lottery! RM did a restrike of my quartered arms - at least that's what they told me - but I think only because the dings in it were in the same place as another forum member so it looked like some grit had got onto the die

This pinholes in frosting are very annoying - I can only really see them under magnification but I know they're there which just detracts from the enjoyment

For the quality issues, I think it's one (or both) of two things:

1. Gold coins getting gentler treatment, more time to pack and generally better QA. Also delivered by DHL/UPS due to value, which appear to have gentler hands

2. Silver coins - many more to ship of lower value, undoubtedly a different team. Less time to pack, less QA and delivered mostly by Royal Mail. Some areas have postmen that juggle parcels etc..

Just my assumption, also the reason I stay away from silver proofs, as just not worth the time it takes to get perfect coins and then having to worry about milk spots over the years.

3 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

For the quality issues, I think it's one (or both) of two things:

1. Gold coins getting gentler treatment, more time to pack and generally better QA. Also delivered by DHL/UPS due to value, which appear to have gentler hands

2. Silver coins - many more to ship of lower value, undoubtedly a different team. Less time to pack, less QA and delivered mostly by Royal Mail. Some areas have postmen that juggle parcels etc..

Just my assumption, also the reason I stay away from silver proofs, as just not worth the time it takes to get perfect coins and then having to worry about milk spots over the years.

Been thinking along similar lines - try for gold as silver proofs seems to have so many issues. Bl**dy expensive though and usually all the gold proofs gone by the time I get to the front of the queue

My two oz silver has just been dropped off at the Post Office. a huge ding just above QV's head. Sad times. I am told that it will be looked at fairly quickly. Hopefully it will come back in good time! Wish me luck!

The others remain pending! I hope I have better luck with those ones!

Just rang the RM (not in a fit of jealously honest!) to cancel the military set I accidentally ordered with the celebration sovereign.

I asked when can I expect delivery of the gothic portrait, the lady said quite quickly, they are expecting all to be dispatched by the end of the week.

Which is good news, provided its not a rush job.

Edited by NewCoins