• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

I've just had a look on eBay, and currently there are about 90 examples of the 2oz silver proof listed!  And this is before everyone has received their coins.  So, there is certainly no shortage - it just depends on how much you want to pay.

Following my post yesterday it was interesting to sit back and keep an eye on what was happening on Facebook as people seemed to be in a race to the bottom to flip these. Prices got so low towards the end of the day my wallet started getting twitchy. There were loads of examples of 2oz silver proof selling for what seems cheap but also plenty of 2oz gold proof and 10oz silver proof...  sometihng not really seen with this series previously. With more coins being delivered today it seems inevitable values will continue to fall and at some point I'll feel forced to open my wallet as despite me strongly believing these are no Una in terms of value...  they're on the cusp of looking cheap for what they are.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

17 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I've just had a look on eBay, and currently there are about 90 examples of the 2oz silver proof listed!  And this is before everyone has received their coins.  So, there is certainly no shortage - it just depends on how much you want to pay.

I think the market is only heading south from here, at least in the short term. Whether as its Christmas, or the mintage is about right, it's not clear.

There might be some bargains to be had for anyone who missed out in the coming weeks. 

7 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Following my post yesterday it was interesting to sit back and keep an eye on what was happening on Facebook as people seemed to be in a race to the bottom to flip these. Prices got so low towards the end of the day my wallet started getting twitchy. There were loads of examples of 2oz silver proof selling for what seems cheap but also plenty of 2oz gold proof and 10oz silver proof...  sometihng not really seen with this series previously. With more coins being delivered today it seems inevitable values will continue to fall and at some point I'll feel forced to open my wallet as despite me strongly believing these are no Una in terms of value...  they're on the cusp of looking cheap for what they are.

I do agree. I am not tempted at these prices. It would have to be south of £500 for a 2oz for me to get tempted. What prices are you seeing for the 10oz ?

My assumption it's just time of year or just not enough demand (for whatever reason ). I guess that might not change who knows 

26 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I do agree. I am not tempted at these prices. It would have to be south of £500 for a 2oz for me to get tempted. What prices are you seeing for the 10oz ?

My assumption it's just time of year or just not enough demand (for whatever reason ). I guess that might not change who knows 

Yeah the risk is certainly there that this is just them finding their worth and the price won't increase but I still think the value of these is as a two coin set and if both individually wind up selling for this price it will be worth completing some extra sets.

Cheapest 10oz SP I saw yesterday was £2000

Just seen a 2oz gold proof listed for £9500

3 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Yeah the risk is certainly there that this is just them finding their worth and the price won't increase but I still think the value of these is as a two coin set and if both individually wind up selling for this price it will be worth completing some extra sets.

Cheapest 10oz SP I saw yesterday was £2000

Just seen a 2oz gold proof listed for £9500

I think as someone earlier on the thread suggested, flippers are desperate to sell much more than people want to buy at the moment.

Keep your wallet ready in the next few weeks! I think its going down at least until then. I am going to keep an eye. 

I don't have mine in hand yet, but don't need any really. But I do like bargains !

12 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I think as someone earlier on the thread suggested, flippers are desperate to sell much more than people want to buy at the moment.

Keep your wallet ready in the next few weeks! I think its going down at least until then. I am going to keep an eye. 

I don't have mine in hand yet, but don't need any really. But I do like bargains !

And don't forget, I think that quite a number of dealers seem to have not put thier allocations on the market - instead they have probably sent them off for grading.  So, in six months' time there could be an influx of graded coins coming onto the market.  

I have now purchased the 125 limited plain edge 2 oz gold quartered arms, secondary market

(don't ask the price! - other half might be watching - joke she knows, though not completely comfortable. for less than the highest, milled edge versions seen on ebay )

I now have the option to get the portrait..  Personally I'm thinking as a pair, I won't ever likely lose money (my main concern) and the Portrait may become very desirable by itself?

(Rare coin with two longest reigning  female monarch on - Elisabeth 2nd and Victoria)

I have no intention of selling (maybe care home fees in 30 years) - As long as it is better than cash. I'd be happy

It is however a very  significant lump of money for me. Thoughts? 

(though this forum may be a bit partisan to think gold coin collecting is a good idea!!!)

8 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

I have now purchased the 125 limited plain edge 2 oz gold quartered arms, secondary market

(don't ask the price! - other half might be watching - joke she knows, though not completely comfortable. for less than the highest, milled edge versions seen on ebay )

I now have the option to get the portrait..  Personally I'm thinking as a pair, I won't ever likely lose money (my main concern) and the Portrait may become very desirable by itself?

(Rare coin with two longest reigning  female monarch on - Elisabeth 2nd and Victoria)

I have no intention of selling (maybe care home fees in 30 years) - As long as it is better than cash. I'd be happy

(though this forum may be a bit partisan to think gold coin collecting is a good idea!!!)

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

20 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

Been quietly reading the comments on here and this is my take… yes prices on these may be stalling (for now) but this is a two coin set and to me the key (even though this one is stunning) is the next one and will make this a true future classic. For me the two together will outshine the Una and the 3 graces (although both are fantastic) so let the short term heat subside and then next year these will be the ones to have… I am not biased in any shape or form 😂😂😂

I still don't think any coin in this series will surpass the Una (both in value and beauty) but most of us do seem to be on the same page believing the value of these is in the sets. I half expected there to be very little to buy on the secondary market as I thought most would want to complete a set before flipping but here we are. I guess Christmas just around the corner is a likely cause. Either way I do think its a good opportunity for those with the cash to get ahead on these. My queue position prevented me from buying the 2oz gold but if these go much cheaper that money will then be used to buy up extras and try to make some extra sets come March. They're quickly heading towards the £500 price point which is hard not to view as a bargain in the long term.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

46 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

None of us can see into the future so its an impossible question to answer. That being said the consensus from the collectors here and elsewere is that the value of these coins will be in the set regardless of what metal or size. I don't personally think the two coins sold individually will be anywere near as attractive as the two sold together. I do still think thats a factor in why prices are currently stalling.

6 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

None of us can see into the future so its an impossible question to answer. That being said the consensus from the collectors here and elsewere is that the value of these coins will be in the set regardless of what metal or size. I don't personally think the two coins sold individually will be anywere near as attractive as the two sold together. I do still think thats a factor in why prices are currently stalling.

I think that after the next release there will be lots of people looking for a set, but only have one half of the puzzle. The individual coin  prices could go crazy then, as if you want a set there's no way to get it other than  dig deep. Man, I really wish I had got one!!!

@PhilB @westminstrel The gold Gothic's finish is nothing like I have seen before, that's why I put next to a 2022 proof sovereign that we all know and a 24ct 1oz bullion.

I do not know how the RM has achieved this finish, something I will try and find out over the next few weeks.  It could be the result of the high relief frosting, this coin has no way been made in the modern way, the digital, laser cut low relief dies thats common place now, the second I opened the box the colour difference was very noticeable.  

@PhilB I do very much agree with you about the colour of modern sovereigns and the older sovereigns with more silver and less copper in the alloy are dramatically more attractive.  Not just the older sovereign there are some low cost gems to be had, the Gillick Sovereign (QE2 first portrait) Are made with a fraction of silver in the alloy some tested by XRF to have only 1 part per 1000 but this give the coin a lovely hue.  I'lll send you some pictures if you are interested.  

Cheers Dave 

I’ve been watching the chat for the past week on prices ect, I have noticed that the flippers are all undercutting each other on eBay which is good for us collectors, more to buy and send for grading. When graded 70s get back the prices will rise, I’m looking forward to January for my 2oz gold plain edge to be delivered.   

Guy's for those who have missed out on the RM Gothic you still can get your hands on the Alderney Island pair for £460 and they come graded by  PCGS PR70DCAM.  Just search for the obvious.  For someone who will enjoy coins  they are a total gem for the collector.  I got a pair a couple of  weeks back just to see what they were like, honestly they are great......And this is coming from someone how landed a 5oz RM gold.  

Not done a side by side yet but I'll take some photos once my RM silvers turn up! 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

17 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Guy's for those who have missed out on the RM Gothic you still can get your hands on the Alderney Island pair for £460 and they come graded by  PCGS PR70DCAM.  Just search for the obvious.  For someone who will enjoy coins  they are a total gem for the collector.  I got a pair a couple of  weeks back just to see what they were like, honestly they are great......And this is coming from someone how landed a 5oz RM gold.  

Not done a side by side yet but I'll take some photos once my RM silvers turn up! 

I will also be doing a side by side soon of the PCGS 2021 Alderney, Raw/FDC 2021 silver 2oz, Raw FDC 2021 gold 2oz and an original 1847 Undecimo graded with NGC. All of the quartered shield side. Four coins lined up together. I’m so excited to share this. 

Price wise, the prices are currently very good and I can’t believe they haven’t all sold yet. Once the sales on eBay calm down and we have seen a few sold through the usual auction houses (Coin Cab, Coins of the Realm, St James, Sov Rareties) I think the price will settle but this is not likely to be before July, I think.